How many reps

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
Thinking of creating my own lifting routine to be done st home with Dumbbells. What is the best way rep wise. 8-10 reps or 15 reps? 4 sets of each exercise?

Replies

• cayolargo
    cayolargo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it depends on what exercise you are doing if it is your shoulders I would suggest a lighter weight with 8-10 reps if you are a beginner .... If you have the time it would be great if you could fit weight training in at least 3x a week let me know and I will write some thing out for you.
  • lin7604
    Options
    cayolargo wrote: »
    it depends on what exercise you are doing if it is your shoulders I would suggest a lighter weight with 8-10 reps if you are a beginner .... If you have the time it would be great if you could fit weight training in at least 3x a week let me know and I will write some thing out for you.
    . Oh that would be so helpful. Yes I'm more on a re: beginner, lol, I like simple basic to the point exercises. I'd like to do 3 total body 30-40 min sessions a week and 2 cardio which I will do les mills combat for.

• hansonmedical2
    hansonmedical2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. That's the correct amount.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Don't make up your own program. Get on an established program.
    Emphatically second this advice. Designing your own program, or having somebody do it who doesn't know what they're doing, is a good way to waste time spinning your wheels getting nowhere.

I'm on mobile so can't link but if you go into the gaining weight section, there's a post on lifting programs and there are dumbbell programs available.
    It's here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who said follow an established program. When I first started lifting I kind of waffled around and my results were subpar. I really wish I would have done something structured from the beginning, my results would have been that much better.
  • boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Lin. What is your goal in lifting weights. Would you like to get lean toned with a six pack or gain weight and bulk up?
  • lin7604
    Options
    So not sure why everyone is against it? If u can follow a program online that gives you the exercises what is the difference if I write it out and follow it off paper vs online? I want it written down so I don't have to relay on the internet e.g. So when traveling I always will have my guideline to follow!

Plus many programs have exercises I can't do due to complicated moves etc. I want basic lifting moves.

Not sure why so many create their own programs and do just fine and so many on here are saying no?
    Why is it that if a program like beachbody's body beast can plan out certain moves, that one can't do the same and follow their own similar plan???? That makes no sence!

Why creating a program doing squats, lunges, triceps dips, hammer curls, bicep curls, planks, over head press, chest press etc would not give someone a good result???
  • lin7604
    Options
    boxa00 wrote: »
    Hi Lin. What is your goal in lifting weights. Would you like to get lean toned with a six pack or gain weight and bulk up?
    . My goal is very simple, lose a little body fat and just be a tad bit leaner and stronger. Not looking for a 6 pack or major definition. Just a few inches slimmer

• lin7604
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree with the others who said follow an established program. When I first started lifting I kind of waffled around and my results were subpar. I really wish I would have done something structured from the beginning, my results would have been that much better.
    But if you follow something that is targeting all areas how would you wAffle around?
    Whether someone else created it or you do it yourself?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Thinking of creating my own lifting routine to be done st home with Dumbbells. What is the best way rep wise. 8-10 reps or 15 reps? 4 sets of each exercise?

I was going to ask what your goal is, but I saw the answer later on in the thread. You said you want to appear leaner and gain strength. These are somewhat contradictory when it comes to lifting. Gaining strength = gaining muscle and will make you not appear extremely "thin" but you will look "toned."

Next question, are you focusing on upper body, core or lower body? Or all? For lower body, most women like to do the heavy weight, low rep route for muscle growth. As for arms, I usually do 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps per exercise using a 15-20 lb. dumbbell. Core = bodyweight burn outs or low weight burn outs for best results.
  • lin7604
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Don't make up your own program. Get on an established program.
    Emphatically second this advice. Designing your own program, or having somebody do it who doesn't know what they're doing, is a good way to waste time spinning your wheels getting nowhere.

I'm on mobile so can't link but if you go into the gaining weight section, there's a post on lifting programs and there are dumbbell programs available.
    It's here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

So exactaly! I looked at that link a while ago Nd looked at the m&s beginner dumbbell routine! How is that any different then. Creating your own program with those and other exercises?????

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Also, tons of people on here will give you crap for creating your own program. If that's what you want to do, then do it. But be willing to critique and change your program for quite a while before finding the "perfect" solution for your body. Personally, I stuck with the same program (I created based on trainer suggestions and some programs) for 8 months and recently improved it. Now I have a legit fully typed out program that I follow and it works PERFECTLY for my body. I do the same heavy, basic lifts that everyone does (curls, press, DL, thrusts, squats, etc.) and incorporate my own accessory work, variations and burn outs that I've found to create the most muscle activation and growth.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's a significant difference between writing/creating your own program and tweaking existing programs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    But if you follow something that is targeting all areas how would you wAffle around?
    Whether someone else created it or you do it yourself?

There is nothing wrong with doing your own program, but it usually takes experience. If you have to ask how many reps and sets then maybe you are not ready to do it yourself, you know? Also just because a program targets all areas doesn't mean it is well rounded and tailored to specific goals.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think people are concerned that someone making up their own program doesn't know what they're doing. You stated you were unsure how many reps or sets to do, so that is probably why people are responding the way they are. It would benefit you to look at some of the established programs to make sure you're covering everything in the proper reps, sets, and progression over time. Lots of people make variations to the prescribed programs, so you could do the same.

The thing is, there are lots of different types of programs out there, some with more reps and some with fewer, some that include a range. So in the end, as long as you're targeting the body areas, I agree, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. There isn't just one way to train. All the jibber jabber about training a certain way for a certain goal is mostly that, jibber jabber, unless you have one and only one very narrow goal, like a power lifter, muscle man, or bikini competitor. Every program I've seen seems to think they have some secret strategy for achieving a goal. Truth is, many of us are looking for overall functional fitness, not only strength, not only bulk, not only appearance, etc. We want to look and feel better. I haven't seen a program with that as the stated goal, I guess it doesn't sell very well, LOL. Sorry for the rant.

PS Also look at this sticky post:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'd say 15 - 20 reps