• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I work nights so everything i eat is after 6pm
    x2 (except on my days/nights off)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It can be, depending on your health and on what time you go to bed. Those who experience frequent heartburn due to reflux are often advised to wait at least 3 hours after eating before trying to sleep. I try not to eat much after 6 for that reason as well as blood sugar reasons.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    No, you're a gremlin. You were supposed to eat 2 days ago before midnight, it's way too late, now...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat after 6PM, I'd be starving. I usually eat my last meal/snack at 9PM and I lost weight/build muscle just fine.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Another thing. I have a few people I know who have reflux issues and eating close to bedtime really is a problem for those people. One friend actually sleeps sitting up for this reason. If you have some medical issue or general ill effect from eating near bedtime it is best avoided. Otherwise it's just preference.
  • bbturner67
    bbturner67 Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bbturner67 wrote: »
    Its a myth. Doesn't matter when we eat, just as long as we stay within our calorie allowance.

Incorrect, ....

The only thing that is a myth is you can't lose weight if you eat just before sleep. ....

feel free to miss quote and misunderstand me... What I posted is a fact. See above.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    warcup666 wrote: »
    Hey guys?? Is it really totally bad for ya if you eat after 6pm or is it just a myth?? Iv just had cup of soup and weight watchers crisps.

As you've discovered ... it's a myth.

I don't get home from work till 6 pm.

Then I have cottage cheese, raw veggies, and some ryvita crackers.

Then my husband and I go for a long walk or bicycle ride.

Then we have dinner ... that's about 8 pm.

About 9:30 we have "dessert".

About 11 pm, I have a second "dessert".

If I'm still up at 1 am and know I'm going to be up a while longer yet, I'll have a third "dessert".

At first I thought dessert was a euphanism...I was impressed with 2x...then I saw the third and I knew something was up!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hey guys?? Is it really totally bad for ya if you eat after 6pm or is it just a myth?? Iv just had cup of soup and weight watchers crisps.

Overall calories in your day is what matters when it comes to weight loss or gain, not when you eat said calories.
  • rps2595
    rps2595 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to eat after 6 if it's under my control. But I occasionally do when I go out with friends to grab dinner.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Like many things, it's a myth based in a *tiny* amount of truth. The original idea was that most people had eaten enough calories by *whatever* time of the evening, and anything they ate after that would cause them to consume a surplus.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bbturner67 wrote: »

Oh, you mean where the first one says:
    However, whether the timing of food intake influences the success of a weight-loss diet in humans is unknown.

The second one addresses possible implications upon metabolic health, but says "the mechanism is unknown".

The third one says:
    Clock genes play a role in adipose tissue (AT) in animal experimental models. However, it remains to be elucidated whether these genes are expressed in human AT.

The fourth one simply talks about an "endogenous circadian influence on appetite". It has nothing whatsoever to do with weight/fat loss. The conclusions are full of "mays" and "mights".

Not sure what point you were making with those studies, but none of them have anything whatsoever to do with the relation of meal timing to weight gain.

Thanks, that saved me some time...

It's all very interesting, but I just wonder why I'm ok then...

I guess everyone who works for a living is *kitten*...

I wonder how many of those processes are just temporary and would ultimately be negligible in a given day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

As you've discovered ... it's a myth.

I don't get home from work till 6 pm.

Then I have cottage cheese, raw veggies, and some ryvita crackers.

Then my husband and I go for a long walk or bicycle ride.

Then we have dinner ... that's about 8 pm.

About 9:30 we have "dessert".

About 11 pm, I have a second "dessert".

If I'm still up at 1 am and know I'm going to be up a while longer yet, I'll have a third "dessert".

At first I thought dessert was a euphanism...I was impressed with 2x...then I saw the third and I knew something was up!

My desserts are snacks ... they aren't really "dessert" as in cake or pie or something like that. :)

9:30 pm is usually yogurt ... sometimes on its own, sometimes with fruit added.

11 pm is usually a piece of toast with nutella and honey.

1 am would be a couple McVities chocolate cookies or another piece of toast with nutella and honey.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand how you would stop eating before 6pm? I like...work and stuff. My grandma always ate dinner people 6 pm though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I always have dinner between 5-6pm followed straight after with dessert.
    The only reason I eat so early is because I'm damn hungry at that time!
    I'd rather have dinner early than have a snack to tide me over, the snack would be pointless calories.. My husband eats around 7pm, we very rarely eat dinner together. He's the one hung up on time,(dinner IS after 6:30 and thats that!!!)whereas i go by hunger, not what the clock says.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I happened to be in Spain a few weeks ago, and was astounded to learn that most Spaniards don't eat dinner until 9 PM or even later. I suggested that maybe that was an urban phenomenon, but no, my host told me that it's common everywhere. You feed the kids before bed, and then the adults enjoy the evening meal at the close of the day. I didn't see many fat people there, despite all the wine, cheese, and bread that was being consumed.
    --
    Bonus reflection:
    When I was a child, I remember my parents being upset at a newspaper piece that claimed that eating dinner before 6 PM was "low class". We ate before 6, you see, so that was insulting.