To Lever or not.... let's talk belts

Replies

• DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Just splurge on the SBD belt and get the best of both worlds.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No worries- it's beat up- but saves you from spending- I'm all about passing it on.
    I'm going to have a conversation with hubs tonight about it- as he strictly told me not to spend more money. which is fair- I went a little nuts over thanksgiving- but if I can make a plan- and get mine ordered- I'll happily send it to you- assuming it'll fit- I can measure later.

Wow, that's just amazingly kind.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    I had a 2 prong originally, but I find GREAT satisfaction in my lever. Quick and easy to get on and off, I love an angry flip of the lever after a really good (or really bad) set. It's totally part of my setup at this point. Now if I try to use a prong I just can't get into my groove.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    No worries- it's beat up- but saves you from spending- I'm all about passing it on.
    I'm going to have a conversation with hubs tonight about it- as he strictly told me not to spend more money. which is fair- I went a little nuts over thanksgiving- but if I can make a plan- and get mine ordered- I'll happily send it to you- assuming it'll fit- I can measure later.

Wow, that's just amazingly kind.

meh- pay it forward if you will. no reason for me to not try to let the belt do some more good somewhere. :)
  • JoRocka
    I had a 2 prong originally, but I find GREAT satisfaction in my lever. Quick and easy to get on and off, I love an angry flip of the lever after a really good (or really bad) set. It's totally part of my setup at this point. Now if I try to use a prong I just can't get into my groove.

this is useful and interesting. I'm leaning more and more toward a lever at this point- only because- it's like an extra 30 bucks I think? like- why not. Why not just get the nice one- and get it powder coated. go hard or go home while shopping? LMAO
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited December 2016
    I personally would recommend a single-prong belt. A good one comes 'broken in' (malleable enough, yet study). Very easy to get on, and can change tightness for different exercises (some people differ between squat and deadlift).

And a very easy way to get it on or off is to apply pressure of one end on a squat rack, turn your body, clipping it in the hole, and let go. No arm power required at all (see below)

tightening-weight-lifting-belt.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I personally would recommend a single-prong belt. A good one comes 'broken in' (malleable enough, yet study). Very easy to get on, and can change tightness for different exercises (some people differ between squat and deadlift).

And a very easy way to get it on or off is to apply pressure of one end on a squat rack, turn your body, clipping it in the hole, and let go. No arm power required at all (see below)

tightening-weight-lifting-belt.jpg

Mine was broken in but Inzers are not and they are certainly a high quality belt so I'd have to disagree with that statement. I've never used that pole technique but I've seen it done before.
  • JoRocka
    I've never used a rack to get mine on and off either.

But I also am not in the camp that thinks the belt has to be that tight. It needs to be tight- but not so tight you can't get it on and off.
  • Wheelhouse15

But I also am not in the camp that thinks the belt has to be that tight. It needs to be tight- but not so tight you can't get it on and off.

I believe the article I linked had a section on proper tightening of the belt and you don't need to tighten it that much. You breath out and tighten but you need room to breath and when you lift you push on the belt with your abs that allows your back to use the belt as a surface to push off of.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I use the rack to get mine on and I could go another hole tighter if I really wanted to, so not using it because I wear it uber tight. It's just kind of habit now to use the rack and just lean into it, like how flipping the lever is fun for the lever using people maybe? Also stiff AF Inzer, rack just makes it way easier than trying to pull by hand.
  • JoRocka

I believe the article I linked had a section on proper tightening of the belt and you don't need to tighten it that much. You breath out and tighten but you need room to breath and when you lift you push on the belt with your abs that allows your back to use the belt as a surface to push off of.

Yeah I won't be able to check at work- but I've had this conversation before at my gym with several lifters.

If it's so tight you can't get a finger in there- it's to tight. You have to be able to breath in and expand to brace. if you can't- then it's just to tight and sort of defeating the purpose.
    I use the rack to get mine on and I could go another hole tighter if I really wanted to, so not using it because I wear it uber tight. It's just kind of habit now to use the rack and just lean into it, like how flipping the lever is fun for the lever using people maybe? Also stiff AF Inzer, rack just makes it way easier than trying to pull by hand.

having never used a belt that stiff I can only imagine that it would be helpful- but I'm sure it's all part of "the process" to set up.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you bulk too hard, levers can be a pain.
  • JoRocka
    trying to call me fat son?

(joke)

I keep building my custom belt- and every time I do I go "well if I'm spending the money- might as well get this.

and this.

and a powder coated lever....
    oh- and you can get it engraved to....

and lettering.

and suddenly my belt goes from like 115- to 240. Fail. LMAO.

Christmas is coming- Christmas is coming!!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

(joke)

I keep building my custom belt- and every time I do I go "well if I'm spending the money- might as well get this.

and this.

and lettering.

Do it. You can justify that because of all the PB's you'll set with it.
  • JoRocka

(joke)

and this.

and lettering.

heh. SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!
    My friend was like I'TS CHRISTMAS DO IT!

I'm pretty excited about it currently- I've got a 13 MM full width lever black suede with red stitching on the back- red suede inside and a powder coated red lever and black edging.
    Debating getting the lever engraved or not- that's like another 35$

It's going to look so purdy.
  • Wheelhouse15

(joke)

and this.

and lettering.

I'm pretty excited about it currently- I've got a 13 MM full width lever black suede with red stitching on the back- red suede inside and a powder coated red lever and black edging.

One word -- Sweet!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    I've been using a black suede 4"/10 mm double prong powerlifting belt made by Best Belts for years and it still looks like new.

Have considered levers in the past but IMO simpler is better and there's nothing simpler than a traditiona single or doublel pronged buckle belt.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

(joke)

and this.

and lettering.

$35 is nothing when you think about it.
  • JoRocka
    leajas1 wrote: »

(joke)

and this.

and lettering.

$35 is nothing when you think about it.

That's a little how I feel about it.
  • JoRocka
    Damn- it took me THIS long to order my belt. Clicked "Check-Out" and "Submit" today.
    10% off at Pioneer- so I got it for 202.

WOOT WOOT!
    I"LL TAKE IT!!! SO.EXCITED.