Won't listen to someone that is thin

Over time I have had people ask me how I stay thin. They are working on losing weight. For great spances of time I have carefully counted every thing I eat. However they don't want to listen to me because I am thin. I know all this dieting and staying thin is basicly a state of mind. I know how to lose weight but I can't know because I am successful. Or you have lost weight recently and your friends very much hate you. Being thin is not cool. What are your experiences?

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Perhaps it's not that they don't want to listen to you because you're thin, rather they don't believe it's as simple as eating less and moving more.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    why would they NOT want to listen to you? Clearly you are doing something right.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Same issue, it's like they want a quick easy answer that doesn't involve hard work or time. We didn't gain the weight overnight, we won't lose it overnight! It takes focus and determination, being willing to get back on the wagon day after day, putting in the time to do CICO and the workouts! I usually just say my fitness pal and lots of gym time!! I figure I've given them the tools, I offer support if they are more interested, but usually by then I've lost them!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    I imagine I am getting ruder and snarkier about this every time the topic comes up in the office, so mostly I just keep my mouth shut these days.

^^ aaaaand also this for me as well. It's mostly not even worth having the conversation.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Is this a situation where people are seeking your input on something by directly asking you for your opinion, and then they are not listening to you?

Or is this a situation where you are offering your opinion when it's not being asked?

I'm simply curious, not intending to imply anything.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Agreed that they just don't want to do the work. They want the "magic pill" whereby you can just lose weight by eating everything you want and not moving.

I don't think it's that they don't want to listen to me when I tell them how I lost weight; it's that they don't want to do it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    One of the best things I did when I began this journey is speak with someone who posts photos of food and drink constantly but stays thin. She told me she'd been chubby as a teen and worked her whole life to keep track of her calories and estimate in her head. I've known this lady for over 20 years, and I never noticed her portions. But some people are definitely looking for a quick fix, not a long term lifestyle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I've now had several people approach me and ask "how did you do it?" with regard to losing weight and getting in shape. I tell them briefly and then just let it go. I assume that people are info gathering rather than coming to me as an ultimate expert whose ways they will emulate.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    I never tell anyone that they should lose weight or suggest things. They come and ask me. I have counted my calories since I was 45. I am very near my 60th birthday. When I was 45 I was 25 lbs lighter than I am now. People tell me I don't need to worry about my weight. Because do I worry about it is why I don't have a weight problem any more. I hate it that when someone has lots 100 lbs that they get bullied by their heavy friends. You know I would have more friends if I put on 50 lb.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Would you want more friends because you put on 50 pounds? I certainly wouldn't want to keep their company if my weight is a deciding factor...better off without those judgy judgersons.

Without wanting to, you kinda join a club when you are overweight, there's an understanding that others do not always have. When someone loses weight, they are no longer part of that club, yet retain that understanding of what it's like. If they're getting picked on by the heavier ones, it has everything to do with the heavies' own insecurities. Personally, I don't allow someone to make me feel bad simply because they feel bad about themselves.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    I don't talk about my weight loss amongst other people really. My cousin said that she has put of visiting because I've lost weight and she's worried I'll think she looks like crap. I told her that was ridiculous I'd never think that. I don't know if she's just using that as an excuse or what but I'm not going to stop. I love who I am now and I'm only halfway there. I've ALWAYS been overweight so I'm sure it will be a lot for everyone who knows me to process but if they change just because I lost weight then that's their problem.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    You know I would have more friends if I put on 50 lb.

Why?

If that is really the case, then maybe it's time to go to active places and find friends there.

Join an active club ... a cycling club, a hiking club, a kayaking club, a triathlon club, or a club of whatever sport interests you.
    Join a gym and start attending some of the classes so you can meet people there.
    Check out the "What's On" in your area ... and start training for the latest challenges, marathons, etc. etc. Often those sorts of events have training groups that get together.

I am fortunate in that I work in an office with a lot of fit and active people. But I'm also a member of a cycling club and have been a member of several different cycling clubs over the past 20+ years.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I was an overweight toddler, youth, teen, obese adult, morbidly obese adult. My brother was a perfect weight all of his youth and all of his adult life. His wife has been her same skinny self all her life and she's my age, 54. I visited overnight once with my brother. His wife cooked a pasta dish which was just enough for each of us to get just one serving, and I was a fat slob at the time who would have preferred to eat 2 or 3 times as much as she put on my plate. But I wasn't a blind fat slob. I saw what portion control looked like and connected her cooking 'just enough' to them eating 'just enough'.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    They ask you and then don't want to listen to you? In the same conversation? Either you're not saying what they want to hear (which is not your problem) or they're not really looking for a solution in the first place. I've found that a lot of time when the subject comes up, friends want commiseration rather than a plan of action. I would just keep the convo short and try to steer towards topics where you do have common ground. Unfortunately or fortunately, this is not an area where you're relatable to them anymore. You'll know when someone is actually ready to hear your advice, cause they'll listen to you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    People like to think anyone skinny iss naturally skinny, And life is unfair. And their forever fat because "genetics" Its pretty *kitten* really lol. Excuses make them feel beter.