Beginning Again at Age 50 and 5'3"...

Options
Hi All, i started this fitness journey when i was 47, lost some weight with exercise and cutting calories on mfp. I managed to lose some weight. Then when i turned 50 i seemed to have lost my mojo. I haven't been exercising like before and it seemed i gained a few pounds and now im at a stall. Being a shorty doesn't help any because i really want to lose another 10 lbs. Anyone else here is around my age and height and struggling to lose the last 10 lbs. I know weight lost is not all about exercise, but at my age it can only help to retain Some muscles as i lose, lol. When i first started on mfp, i honestly didn't have all the information that i have learned from this community which is Awesome, So this time im all in Trying to suck up as much information as possible to lose these last 10 lbs. Thanks.

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in August and my metabolism is certainly aware! I'm trying to lose 10 lbs total. I'm 5'4". I had success with WWs 10 years ago but like the comprehensive FREE data base that MFP offers. I have found it a lot harder this go round to lose. I walk regularly and try to go to yoga classes, but I've been pretty lax lately, with traveling over Thanksgiving and now getting ready for holiday mode!
  • von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was 50 in July and 5ft!!! Been struggling with losing weight for last 10 years. Menopause not a great help! Ive been going slimming club religiously for past two years initially I lost a stone and a half but have since put it back on despite weekly meetings. So decided give this a try again. Cutting calories and upping exercise.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I only 163 or about 5.4
  • yegpac
    yegpac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Laura1237, are you a mentor? I'm new here, female 51 yr old married mom in Houston, menopausal, and need to lose 30 pounds. Looking for a little guidance!! By the way, congrats on your great work! Lisa
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'm 52yo, 5'3" and my goal is to lose nearly 30 lbs total (get to 120 lbs). I'm down nearly 23 pounds in about 6.5 months (126.6 lbs as of today), so I only have about 7 to go. I'm also still peri-menopausal, though my body is trying to cross over to the light of finally hitting menopause, so my hormones are often rolling during the month...woo hoo...what a ride!

I'm finding the adage, "don't fool thyself" to hold really true right now with these last few pounds to get to my 'ideal weight' (115-126 lbs per a variety of calculators) for my height (5'3"). Meticulous logging of food and exercise is so very important, and then actually going back to analyze your logs is key too. In Oct, I stalled, but later realized it was my own fault. While I was logging about normal exercise minutes, the type of exercise was less strenuous, so I was burning less calories than normal. Also, my food calories were a bit higher than in previous weeks, so my margin of CICO error was minimized, and I stalled out. I've tightened up my logging and am watching things closer, so I got back on track for November. I'm hoping that by the end of January I can start to look at maintenance mode. We'll see given the holidays...I may have to adjust that expectation.

I agree with @RaeBeeBaby - there is a ton to do to stay active. I workout at the gym (finally added strength training in Oct). I love to go out on my Stand Up Paddleboard, and many of my "workouts" consist of just going out to paddle for a couple of hours and enjoying the flora and fauna (I love seeing the dolphins and sting rays). When it's too rough to go out on the water, I try to get in a walk or I go out and do some gardening, and occasionally actually clean my house (which is a killer workout for me given how I have been known to let it go for weeks). @RaeBeeBaby and I are in a challenge group, which seems to assign us a lot of dance videos weekly - those really get my heart pumping. That's the other thing that keeps me active, are various challenge groups and challenge threads. It keeps me accountable to posting for either a team or others in the thread even when I don't feel like working out that day or week. Sometimes changing your routine can get you motivated, sometimes having to be accountable will keep you on track. You have to find what works for you.

Just remember, CICO for weight loss, macro ratios for a more balanced nutrition, exercise for fitness (though cardio is a good way to get more calories too).
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started 2 1/2 years ago at age 59. Since then, I've lost 148 lbs and am in the best shape of my life. When I started, I couldn't walk up my own driveway. Now I run, swim, walk, and lift weights and recruit people to participate in events with me! Me...who rarely got better than a "C" in phys ed class, lol.

Set your plan and follow it so you develop consistent habits. Habits are what keep you going, more so than motivation. We "old ladies" have the experience to conquer any challenge. You got this!

Thanks for the words of Encouragement and your awesome story.
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    52 here and have lost 65 pounds since Feb 2016. Self awareness, education about the basics of weight loss (calories in calories out), and exercise have gotten me here. I have chosen weight lifting as the core of my exercise because once this weight is off, I want the foundation of strength and muscle to be revealed and there for me so I can maintain. I am 5'2. Positive self talk has been key for me also....I do not think "oh man, im 52 and should not be doing this or that" While my physical age impacts the process, for me, my mind is more important at this point. If I think can I will. All the best!!! This is a wonderful journey really.....so I hope you can enjoy aspects of it. I know the rewards of hard work are so enjoyable. Have fun with it.!!!!

Justimagine10, Im so right there with you talking to myself, Educating myself and being self aware daily as i travel this journey in Every Aspect of my life. Thanks for the reminder and im just starting to focus on Strength Training. However, i cannot lift heavy weights like many ladies here do, i im focusing in on whatever i CAN do
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for such Encouraging words, Advice and Personal journeys. Im so humble to know that their are others on here who are fighting this Weight battle at our young age. I Refuse to give up and give in to what many especially women have done around 50ish thinking its over for us so no need to be as fit n healthy as possible. I see so many people out around our age and many i graduated with look down trotted and much older than they really are. Some think because they are Grandparents that they must carry themselves and Act in a way perhaps they Grandparents did back in the day. Oh No!!!!! This is a new day and people our age even ones who have proudly became GP are Fit n Healthy keeping up. So i say lets Continue on with our Fit n Healthy Journey no matter what. Good Luck to everyone who is still Fighting n Winning.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and 5'4" and want to lose 30 pounds. I know we can do this! Just yesterday, a friend of mine about my age posted about her recovery from a knee replacement and how she that arthritis in the other knee and that will likely need replaced next year and how she is going to get a recumbent bike....I decided I don't want to wait until I am broken to get healthy again.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOU GOT THIS!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I'm 61 (5'4") and have lost 31 lbs since April - have about 12 lbs to go. To be honest - I never really gave a thought about the "age factor" when I began - maybe I ignored it or maybe I am in denial - LOL. I run on the treadmill, do some weights and do yoga. What I HAVE noticed is this: when I get particularly sore or stiff from the running - the yoga seems to really help...I think that yoga has helped my body to "co-operate" with what I expect it to do...
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I'm 52yo, 5'3" and my goal is to lose nearly 30 lbs total (get to 120 lbs). I'm down nearly 23 pounds in about 6.5 months (126.6 lbs as of today), so I only have about 7 to go. I'm also still peri-menopausal, though my body is trying to cross over to the light of finally hitting menopause, so my hormones are often rolling during the month...woo hoo...what a ride!

I'm finding the adage, "don't fool thyself" to hold really true right now with these last few pounds to get to my 'ideal weight' (115-126 lbs per a variety of calculators) for my height (5'3"). Meticulous logging of food and exercise is so very important, and then actually going back to analyze your logs is key too. In Oct, I stalled, but later realized it was my own fault. While I was logging about normal exercise minutes, the type of exercise was less strenuous, so I was burning less calories than normal. Also, my food calories were a bit higher than in previous weeks, so my margin of CICO error was minimized, and I stalled out. I've tightened up my logging and am watching things closer, so I got back on track for November. I'm hoping that by the end of January I can start to look at maintenance mode. We'll see given the holidays...I may have to adjust that expectation.

I agree with @RaeBeeBaby - there is a ton to do to stay active. I workout at the gym (finally added strength training in Oct). I love to go out on my Stand Up Paddleboard, and many of my "workouts" consist of just going out to paddle for a couple of hours and enjoying the flora and fauna (I love seeing the dolphins and sting rays). When it's too rough to go out on the water, I try to get in a walk or I go out and do some gardening, and occasionally actually clean my house (which is a killer workout for me given how I have been known to let it go for weeks). @RaeBeeBaby and I are in a challenge group, which seems to assign us a lot of dance videos weekly - those really get my heart pumping. That's the other thing that keeps me active, are various challenge groups and challenge threads. It keeps me accountable to posting for either a team or others in the thread even when I don't feel like working out that day or week. Sometimes changing your routine can get you motivated, sometimes having to be accountable will keep you on track. You have to find what works for you.

Just remember, CICO for weight loss, macro ratios for a more balanced nutrition, exercise for fitness (though cardio is a good way to get more calories too).

I am also 52 yo. 5 3 SW 204 CW 141/142 GW 135. Been at it since 2014 and lost it slowly and thats a good thing. Had a stall also in July, Had to Re evaluate my diary and start measuring my foods more accurate. Now Thank God im moving again
  • WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 at 4'10" and 128. I need to lose 25 lbs so I COMPLETELY understand your struggle! But as you can see, you're not alone. Stay positive and you will lose the weight. We all know how, it's just a matter of perseverance and knowing that WEIGHT LOSS = 80% Diet + 20% Exercise.

Sending you a friend request. :)
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Heart_Fit - I am exactly where you started in weight. I am 5'2 and 48 years old, 204 lbs. Been stuck in and around this weight for months now. I exercise a lot, but I guess I eat a lot too. :# I've been trying to find that combo of calories in/calories out that work for me and to just stick with it.
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    enuf200 wrote: »
    @Heart_Fit - I am exactly where you started in weight. I am 5'2 and 48 years old, 204 lbs. Been stuck in and around this weight for months now. I exercise a lot, but I guess I eat a lot too. :# I've been trying to find that combo of calories in/calories out that work for me and to just stick with it.

Hi, at the beginning of my journey i was exercising a lot also, But didn't quite understand that exercising without CICO was pretty much defeating my efforts. I actually exercise so much that i got burned out lol. Now I've learned so much about Nutrition, Not saying i have completely conquered it as i wouldn't be here now so discouraged. It is indeed about CICO and staying within your daily or weekly goal.. For me it daily because its easier. Exercise can only help you burn a few calories just in case you go over your goal. Exercise mainly is for Fitness which is crucial especially as we age. Remember one thing, One can Never burn enough calories per day than Over eating. Most of the time, most ppl under estimate Their calories intake and Over estimate the many calories they think they have burned.So be mindful of that and Always have a deficit of 250 or 500. We can do this. Good luck to you and never give up.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Exactly like heart fit says! I'm 63,5 foot tall and have lost 59 pounds since March.Log and weigh. Find an exercise you like, it doesn't have to be extreme, I only walk 2 miles a day and do a few upper body exercises.It has to be a lifestyle change.Also remember we are short, those portion sizes listed on most labels are for the average sized American.I eat like a third of a small banana,half a cup of cereal ect.Think differently, just cause the apple is small doesn't mean you can't cut it in half and save the rest for later.If I can do it anyone can!