Beginning Again at Age 50 and 5'3"...

Options

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    try something totally different. I am 55 and have lost 113 pounds since january. I am doing low carb high fat (LCHF) maybe try it and see what happens?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip for you is to honestly and accurately track all calories and keep as active as possible. To track your foods means using a food scale, that's the best advice imo.

Aim to lose 0.5lbs a week as you don't have much to lose and that will mean less muscle lost along with the fat.

And you're right to think about muscles, we need to retain as much muscle mass as we can. Hit your protein and do resistance/weight training.

I'm not 50 yet but not far away either and I've successfully lost 25lbs and kept it off for almost 4 yrs (I'm 5ft 2).

All the best.
  • richfire785
    richfire785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and starting back on this program again also. The first time I did it I had success, but I really did not use all the things available. It's great how many positive and motivated people there are here. I am also using all the features that are available as well. I have alot more to lose than 10 pounds, but I have no doubt you and i will acomplish your goals. Keep up the great work!
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and starting back on this program again also. The first time I did it I had success, but I really did not use all the things available. It's great how many positive and motivated people there are here. I am also using all the features that are available as well. I have alot more to lose than 10 pounds, but I have no doubt you and i will acomplish your goals. Keep up the great work!

Thanks @ Richfire785...I have no doubt that you will get it right this time around. You are indeed right that using all the tools that are available on mfp will help us succeed. At the beginning i didn't use all that was available here, But recently i have started using everything available and started measuring everything more accurately. Im beginning to see the scales move downward. I realize this is a life long journey and im in it until the end of time (smiling). Best wishes to you!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    My biggest tip for you is to honestly and accurately track all calories and keep as active as possible. To track your foods means using a food scale, that's the best advice imo.

Aim to lose 0.5lbs a week as you don't have much to lose and that will mean less muscle lost along with the fat.

And you're right to think about muscles, we need to retain as much muscle mass as we can. Hit your protein and do resistance/weight training.

I'm not 50 yet but not far away either and I've successfully lost 25lbs and kept it off for almost 4 yrs (I'm 5ft 2).

All the best.

Agreed! I am on everything you just spoke on
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    suzilla53 wrote: »
    Exactly like heart fit says! I'm 63,5 foot tall and have lost 59 pounds since March.Log and weigh. Find an exercise you like, it doesn't have to be extreme, I only walk 2 miles a day and do a few upper body exercises.It has to be a lifestyle change.Also remember we are short, those portion sizes listed on most labels are for the average sized American.I eat like a third of a small banana,half a cup of cereal ect.Think differently, just cause the apple is small doesn't mean you can't cut it in half and save the rest for later.If I can do it anyone can!

Great Advice! Thanks
  • Moby_Dick
    Moby_Dick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just signed up here today and introduced myself. I am friendless so far, feel a bit like a lost puppy. All these posts here made me feel good. If you guys could do it, so can I. I more have more to lose, but so what?

Thank you for the encouragement.
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    Moby_Dick wrote: »
    I just signed up here today and introduced myself. I am friendless so far, feel a bit like a lost puppy. All these posts here made me feel good. If you guys could do it, so can I. I more have more to lose, but so what?

Thank you for the encouragement.

Welcome to you and feel free to add me on your new weight loss journey ☺.
  • pmoran525
    pmoran525 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and would love to lose 30 lbs. I'm currently 152. I have been at my goal weight of 130-135 many times and always gained it back. This time I want to lose and keep it off. I've been at the same weight for about 5 years I need to find energy to get my butt moving to shred these 30 lbs. You can add me
    Thank you
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    pmoran525 wrote: »
    I am 52 and would love to lose 30 lbs. I'm currently 152. I have been at my goal weight of 130-135 many times and always gained it back. This time I want to lose and keep it off. I've been at the same weight for about 5 years I need to find energy to get my butt moving to shred these 30 lbs. You can add me
    Thank you

Just remember this time around that the best and i feel the only way to keep the weight from returning would be to, lose slowly and dont eliminate anything out of your food aresnel as you lose that you cant live without in Maintenance. I haven't gotten to maintenance as of yet, But i have been constantly preparing myself when the day arrive. I know you will succeed this time around. Good Luck Girl!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options

All the best.

Thanks!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    I turned 50 in August and my metabolism is certainly aware! I'm trying to lose 10 lbs total. I'm 5'4". I had success with WWs 10 years ago but like the comprehensive FREE data base that MFP offers. I have found it a lot harder this go round to lose. I walk regularly and try to go to yoga classes, but I've been pretty lax lately, with traveling over Thanksgiving and now getting ready for holiday mode!

Just be consistent and keep going. You will get there girl!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    YOU GOT THIS!

Thanks!
  • reneinitaly
    reneinitaly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too am starting again :) I'm 60, 5'4" and did really well with WW in the past. Since they changed the program I have been almost floating in nowhere land, so I am beginning again with MFP. I have 10 ish to lose. I had been active, and will return to exercise as soon as the holiday season is over. I own a men's clothing store here in Italy and it's open 7 days a week till Christmas. I am getting in the steps, but not formal exercise. Is there a 50+ group where anyone posts for a bit more accountability?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There's some great advice here already. I'm 57, male, and find that I have to battle the tendency to overthink EVERYTHING lol! My muscles have responded much better than I expected them to, and as long as I keep the Calories in where they need to be, the weight has been leaving. Sometimes more slowly than I would like, but that's ok. I have me at one year ago to compare myself to when I don't feel like I'm progressing any more.

Best fortune on your journey! :)
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    There's some great advice here already. I'm 57, male, and find that I have to battle the tendency to overthink EVERYTHING lol! My muscles have responded much better than I expected them to, and as long as I keep the Calories in where they need to be, the weight has been leaving. Sometimes more slowly than I would like, but that's ok. I have me at one year ago to compare myself to when I don't feel like I'm progressing any more.

Best fortune on your journey! :)

Thanks, Best wishes on your journey!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    I too am starting again :) I'm 60, 5'4" and did really well with WW in the past. Since they changed the program I have been almost floating in nowhere land, so I am beginning again with MFP. I have 10 ish to lose. I had been active, and will return to exercise as soon as the holiday season is over. I own a men's clothing store here in Italy and it's open 7 days a week till Christmas. I am getting in the steps, but not formal exercise. Is there a 50+ group where anyone posts for a bit more accountability?

Im sure that you will succeed after the holidays...Its been a bit challenging for myself around the holidays, but we just have to keep moving forward and be consistent. Im not sure about any 50's plus group. This is one of the main reasons i started this post, i was looking for others around my age (52) and my height 5"3' to support each other. We can do this! Best wishes to you and feel free to add me.
  • mik956
    mik956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just started using My Fitness Pal today. I'm 60. I'm trying to lose about 10 lb. My problem is that I lose the weight, but then I gain it back quickly. I'm in excellent shape, if I do say so myself, but I have found that at my age, I tend to gain weight more quickly than before. I frequently walk/jog 4 or 5k twice a week. I'm far from being a coach potato. I like to stay active. How about you? I do my own landscaping when I'm not exercising and the weather permits. Not a small task to be sure. I'd like to hear from someone with similar interests. Anyone that wants to share their progress or just wants to say hi and share their thoughts on the message board.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm just a couple of months shy of being 73 and am trying to also lose 10 pounds. Like other posters have said, I lose weight but gain it back quickly ... so it's an up and down thing on almost a weekly basis. Right now I'm not cutting calories, and not eating in excess on purpose ... I'm just trying to eat sensibly for the last couple of weeks of the year and will go on another deficit in intake calories starting Jan 1. This coming year I will have a gym membership with the Silver Sneakers program and will be working on incorporating a regular, habitual, program of structured physical activity at the gym on most days of the week.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    mik956 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I just started using My Fitness Pal today. I'm 60. I'm trying to lose about 10 lb. My problem is that I lose the weight, but then I gain it back quickly. I'm in excellent shape, if I do say so myself, but I have found that at my age, I tend to gain weight more quickly than before. I frequently walk/jog 4 or 5k twice a week. I'm far from being a coach potato. I like to stay active. How about you? I do my own landscaping when I'm not exercising and the weather permits. Not a small task to be sure. I'd like to hear from someone with similar interests. Anyone that wants to share their progress or just wants to say hi and share their thoughts on the message board.

@mik956 You'll find lots of folks in our age group here, lots of good support. I'm 57, very active, in good shape and yeah, drive by a donut shop and a pound jumps on board. It's manageable, and not the problem it used to be. I lost 14, put 4 back on and dropping again.

So welcome, jump on in :)