Are you a Diet Drag?

Options

Replies

• gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I try to go incognito too. I hang with a crowd on Fridays that tend to go overboard on drinking and then following up with diner food and milkshakes at 4am. They would not be interested in hearing about calorie counts, lol. I just reserve an extra 200 calorie deficit each day and then eat extra light during the day on Fridays so I can let loose with my friends. Though, I will sneak off to the bathroom to log the number of pbrs that I drink
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have realized i talk about my fitness/diet alot more. Comes up in pretty much every conversation. I cant help it my minds still accepting huge changes and working on many more. I try my best to not be annoying though, And its more like "I saved up calories all week so we could have pizza -digs in-" or "i walked extra today so i could have some chocolate :3 yummy" Vs "Gah food what ew no never!!!"

Edit: one thing i refuse to do is talk about how food is fattening and "i really shouldnt eat that" ...I just dont. If they ask ill say i pick my battles i have a slice of cheesecake calling my name when i get home :D
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm a drag to my husband. I talk about calories/weight loss all the time. I can't help being excited about some of the things I've learned. I pull out my phone when we go out to eat to log my food.

BUT it hasn't impacted our social life, I eat out, I drink wine/beer I just say things like "I'll have a salad so I can have a glass of wine".

Actually maybe I should ask him if I'm a drag:).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The idea of fried pickles intrigues me
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The idea of fried pickles intrigues me

One place i went to the fried pickles had more calories than the fried mars bars. Pick your poison XD Granted was a huge fancy platter type place. Was really unexpected to see the numbers XD
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Friend : "I need my fish and water pronto".

Me : "OK, I'm eating later where i'll be drinking cocktails and wine".

Friend : "I'm not leaving my seat, I might smell food"

Me : "Ok, see you after halftime"

Word.

And whenever I get particularly strict - such as I'm cutting for a competition - I always tell my wife (and whomever is with us) to get whatever she/they want(s). I'm a big boy and can make my own choices on how/what to restrict my intake. I can still hang, but eat either less or something different.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm probably a drag to my husband, too. Not when we go out with friends or on weekends because I bank calories for that, but on weeknights. I don't talk about it, but after dinner I close down the kitchen and go to another part of the house to read. I've learned hanging out watching TV in the kitchen leads to unintended snacking. Maybe we should watch a TV show together in another room or something like that in the evenings.

I will say this, DH stopped drinking 2 months ago because of a medication he started taking. More than 1 made him feel bad initially, and now more 2 does.That has made it SO, SO much easier to drink less on weekends, and that is probably a good thing.

OP, is this a new thing for your friend? Maybe she will wear herself out?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the fad diet she's on, but more so she seems to be the sort of person that expects everyone else's life to revolve around her.

Typically, if I go out with friends and eating is involved I just make sensible choices so that everything fits into my daily calorie allotment. If drinking is involved, I'm not much of a drinker to begin with, so it wouldn't be odd for me to order something nonalcoholic.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    I thought of a time i was a diet drag. My ex boyfriend cooked for me (He didnt warn me i hadnt planned for it)

Now hes a very large man who makes terrible (TERRIBLE) diet choices. I had to literally take the green beans to the sink and rinse them off because they were swimming in butter, It literally soaked my entire plate when he scooped them onto the plate. And salt. I could visually see the salt which is impressive since the butter xD

People generally dont take well to you taking their yummy meal and washing it off. It wasnt even so much that i was worried about calories i guess it was just truely gross.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Washing it is pretty extreme! I would just eat them one by one with a fork, and most of the butter would run off and stay on the plate. Or just eat one or two and leave the rest.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    The salt was horrid. Was either i sneaked off and tried to rinse it or hed see my face literally drip in tears.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I can understand why she doesn't want to smell ballpark food. You need to learn to have fun regardless of her preferences. Just sayin.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Too much salt is nasty @jaydedmiss, I feel your pain. And I like salt.
  • PuppetPrincess
    PuppetPrincess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah... the whole, "you can't do that around me because I am on a diet" thing is bogus and annoying. You choose what you eat while I choose what I eat. Having food restrictions means I just have to figure out what on the menu I can eat, not that I get to dictate where we eat every time. If you really cannot be around certain foods because you can't control yourself then you need new friends who eat the same as you. Even the alcoholics I know don't DEMAND that no one drinks around them ever.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I actually feel sorry for your friend. She thinks this is how she needs to eat to lose weight and MAYBE she does need to eat this way for now.

If she is your friend maybe a little sympathy and find some work around? idk

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a diet drag for a while. I LOVED my diet and talked about it like it was my newborn or I was selling the stuff. It was also a very restrictive diet so I drastically changed my social behaviors. Looking back, man was I annoying! However, I did what I needed to do to reverse decades of unhealthy living. I probably annoyed a few people along the way but the end result is better health, a body I'm happier with and friends who stuck out my annoying "diet phase".

Now, im a great sounding board for others' diet struggles. I've been on the other side so I'm really sympathetic and offer (I think) good tips.

OP, just do your thing. Don't worry about having to sit with your friend instead of partying. She'd probably be upset to learn you're not having fun on her account. She'll either find a way to manage those fun activities or she'll change her behaviors but either way, it's her journey, not yours.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think my BF thinks I might be a diet drag. He always wants to go out to dinner or to a bar. I will go once a week but if it were up to him it would be several nights a week. Which is the reason I gained this weight in the first place. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What's nice is that after a while people get used to the fact that you are losing weight and stop walking on eggshells around you when there is food involved. My sister travels abroad a lot of work, and she always brings me edible goodies. When I first started losing weight she was very reluctant and almost apologetic when she pulled out a small box of chocolate truffles. This is no longer the case. She brought me so much chocolate this time that I'm stocked for months. My mom no longer hesitates to serve baked goods and my friends no longer feel like they need to pick a restaurant that might have a low calorie salad or something instead of what they really want. They all treat me like nothing's changed, which I love.