WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• BootCamper10
    BootCamper10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm starting again i'm from Central Alberta and here goes.
    my goals for November
    1. log food every day.
    2. test blood sugars 2x a day.
    3. lose 1 lbs ( but hey if any more awesome)

I am a new grandma we now have 2 amazing grandsons one here in Alberta the other in Manitoba (central Canada) i just love to pieces.

My mom passed away in this last September and it's been so hard being far from my family. I'm ok though.

i work full time and workout in boot camps on Tuesday and Thursday and Monday's in the gym in a HIIT class i run although i'm really slow. ha ha i walk every day during the noon hour from work.

that's it that's me. Waving from Canada.
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. It's a beautiful day in east Texas. So far today has been really good. I'm tracking and staying on plan. I'm going to make the Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash that was on yesterday's blog for dinner tonight. I'm only making 1/2 the recipe though because I know my daughter & grandkids won't eat it. They live with us btw.
    I'll have 1/2 for dinner tonight and the remainder for lunch tomorrow. I'm also going to have a nice salad to go with it.
    I've been at this weight loss thing for far too many years and plan to totally reach my goal this time because I'm going to do one thing different. I'm not going to quit. If I don't quit I can't fail. Also, I'm taking a one day at a time attitude. I can do almost anything for one day. Looking at the big picture and wondering how long this is going to take are things that are going to discourage me. I need to lose 150 lbs but I'm not going to focus on that. One day at a time will get me where I need to go.
    Ginny in Maine, thanks for the friend request. I've never been to Maine but the pictures are beautiful. My nephew and his family live near Lewiston.
    It's really nice to feel so welcomed. Thank you all.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth so glad you are back checking in with us. <3 Sorry about DH surgery, nerve damage sounds serious, is it improving?? I think your goals sound very reasonable and the doc appt should keep you on the straight and narrow. I purposefully didn't join a cookie swap at work for that very reason, I went off the rails at Thanksgiving and before that so I am taking into account the things that trigger me .... CARBS!! I still have to bake my annual holiday care package to the nephews in FL, but I will resist by baking little mini loaf cakes, rather than cookies. I think that strategy will work :#

Becca You are so insightful, just reading your posts get me centered. I have been living purposefully not shopping for anything, it hasn't always been easy for me, but honestly, after 3 months, I really am getting the hang of saying, yes, I have enough. I could press that outfit and wear it to my next whatever, I don't have to get a new sweater, or a new holiday knick knack, you know, and that has really helped me stay on a very mindful path with finances and is what I plan on doing for the foreseeable future o:)

MrsGLT "I am going to do one thing differently, I am not going to quit" Love that quote!

I am back on track for today, planning, checking in and logging. One day at a time, NYKAREN
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    NYKaren ... the damage is probably permanent, but PT is trying to strengthen muscle groups around the affected area to minimize the effects. Right now, he's so weak on the one side, he's been falling. He's a big guy. He goes down hard!

KJ ... the potty diver had me laughing out loud.

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Beth - Sorry to hear about the troubles with your DH's surgery. Life can change in an instant, can't it. It sounds as if you are determined to get back on track. :flowerforyou:

Off to bed in a moment. Got to take a few bits out of the freezer for tomorrow. The freezer is in the freezing cold garage. Brrrrrrr! :laugh: Also got to get my stinky cheese out of the fridge so it's really stinky for tomorrow. :D
    I didn't cook the potatoes. Will do them in the morning.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ Prayers for you and your DH.

My BnL had his hip replacement on Monday and was released from the hospital on Wed. He refuses to go to rehab and lives alone (his wife - my Dh's sister) passed away 40 yrs ago with complications trying to have a baby and he has never remarried. Much living as a recluse. So, today my Dh had to go to his house because he was feeling woozy. Finally had to call an ambulance to take him back to the hospital as my Dh could not get him into the car. Now DH has gone back to the hospital to bring him back home again. He really needs to have someone to look after him. I wish I could help but the man is so stubborn and set in his ways. Good thoughts appreciated.

Carol
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow, it is December, can not believe it. Where did the year go???? What will 2017 bring. I used to think that we are the owners of our destiny but this year has shown us that life happens and we have to go with it and deal with it. Some can be prevented by changing diet and life style, other things happen like Parkinson's and MS, carpal tunnel, Gall Bladder disease, ulcerative colitis. Charlie is so much healthier as far as the colitis and having the ileostomy. But in so many ways some of his bodily functions seem like they are getting more and more frozen. He refuses to go to a physical or occupational therapist. Just getting a sweater on is so difficult. And then there is the grocery shopping.

Our second mattress arrived today. They were due to arrive Dec 6th and 7th but the came Nov 30 and Dec 1st!!!! Michelle is going to come over tomorrow and help us take one back to Walmart. I hope there is no trouble in that and that our checking account i reimbursed. I have asked Charlie if he might want the other but he says he doesn't want memory foam. He says it is difficult enough for him to turn over at night that he doesn't want memory foam as he has heard it is hard to move in it.

Am watching the golf tournament that Tiger Woods makes his return. He started out pretty good but did not end up good.

Joyce, Indiana
  • TRYN2TOGETFIT2016
    Options
    Just starting out again, and looking for motivating FP friends :)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread. I was trying to count how many Texas girls we have now. There are quite a few now.
    Michele - my plan is to look at food as fuel. What will help me get healthy. I was carrying an extra 25 # around the golf course and it was wearing me out. The longer I go without a lot of sugar, the better I feel. I also decided that I wanted my journey to fit into my life, I.e. Not buy a lot of fat free or sugar free food. So far it is working and I'm determined to stay the course.
    DisneyLover - we leave on the 15th to spend 11 days with our family at Disney. Hope I can keep up.
    Can't remember who posted the comment about taking it one day at a time but that is so smart. Can't eat the whole elephant in one bite.
    Welcome to the newbies and also to those returning. I was gone for awhile but really missed the support on this thread.
    Cowboys about to play. Catch you tomorrow.

SueBDew in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Can't believe it is December already. Where did the year go? DH had phone interview for his upcoming procedure in Seattle this morning and then we did the weekly grocery shopping. We had a couple of sun breaks earlier today but it is now back to gray and rainy. Got some of my Christmas decorating done. I still need to put my flag up on the gazebo and find a Christmas tree. I have some of my shopping done too. I am keeping up with my water exercise. Our regular instructor was back yesterday. Her 15-year-old DD has been diagnosed with Hodgkins and will start chemo next week. Such a hard thing for a young teen.

Barbie - Thanks for keeping us going. Glad you are able to dance with the group.

Sherry - Hope you are able to find some place soon.

Lisa - I have a Ford F350. Awesome trucks. Pulls my horse trailer with no problem at all.

Welcome to all the newbies!!!

DJ - Enjoy the cruise!

KJ - Thanks for the laugh with the potty diver.

"The butterfly counts not months but moments. And has time enough." - Rabindranath Tagore

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories, Sue in WA

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    <3Beth, I am so sorry to hear about the complications of your husband's surgery. Can he use a cane or some device to avoid falling? Is he following the directions of the physical therapist to get the best possible results.

:)MrsGLT, thanks for the one day at a time reminder...that can apply to all the challenges we have

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Sasha came through her dental cleaning well with only one extraction...she is disoriented and keeps coming over and asking me to go to bed with her. I've done all the things on my "to do" list that can't be put off til tomorrow, so I think I'll head for bed early and read for awhile and keep her company....I'm reading one of "The Cat Who.." books.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Man, November was not a fun month for me. Spent most of the month laying on the sofa or sitting on a doughnut ring with my injury. Luckily I have gained back only .4 a lb even though I had to stop exercising all month. Things are now looking better, I can go out for short walks, lift, push and carry things once more. This makes me so happy.

So for December my goal is to try and not gain any more weight. The ideal is to lose *something* by getting back into exercise again. I had pegged December as a month where if I maintained I would be happy. No pressure, just setting realistic goals for this month. But look out come January!

Charleen in Colorado (So many quilts need their binding attached!!)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Reading at work for a few minutes.

Sherry - I am so sorry about your situation. You're in my prayers.

Re - keep up the great progress.

I am going home to soup in the crock pot soon.

TN Toni
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hello, Dazzling Dames!

Today is my Friday… I have scheduled my last day of time off for 2016 tomorrow – and I am currently enjoying my Jammie Day at home. I have my fuzzy Minnie Mouse jammie pants on and a matching red sports bra – so I am about as comfy as I could be, right now.

DH and I went to the gym this morning – and I threw a pot of beans in the crockpot - so the remainder of the day will be blessedly simple… Eat a lovely meal, watch a movie or two, and go to bed.

This weekend is all about the house… Christmas decorations, a few chores, that sort of thing. I will be nesting in Holiday Style.

I have to say, staying at home is fabulous for my diet… If I don’t have to pick my way thru the mine-field of restaurant delights, it is much easier for me to stay on task.

I do really have to stop thinking so far into the future, though. I calculated how long it would take me to lose down to where I want to be… BIG mistake. Almost TWO YEARS!!! That set Veruca right off, whining and crying. But, I slapped her and moved on.

Two years will pass in the blink of an eye, I know it will, and there will be a great many wonderful things that happen along the way. Every time I push that extra five pounds onto the weights, I get a little thrill. So what if my body is like melting wax, dripping and drooping all over the place? This too, shall pass. I will probably need FOUR years to save up the money to get my body fixed, anyway… might as well be patient while I do that.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Heather – Breakfast in bed, every day? You decadent thing, you… Sorry you can’t stand the Christmas Music… love it, myself. I will surely have some on for most of the day, tomorrow. All warm and fuzzy for you and your loving son. ((Hugs!))

Lois – I seeeeeee you… How are you, Honey? Doing anything exotic for the Holidays?

Lisa
    – Bummer they didn’t accept the offer – and hey, if you got the land cheaply enough – it wouldn’t have been crazy, at all. LOVE the House McNugget… lol

NYKaren – Planning… it’s all about planning. I pre-log my food, almost every day – so long as I know where I am going to be, I can log out the whole day and KNOW what I need to do, how much I can eat, and how much wiggle room I have if the portions are off. You can do this… you have done it – and now you just need to keep it up.

Ginnie – Welcome! Pull up a keyboard and tell us about yourself.

Karen/VA:)

Carol/Peach – You can do it, Miss Carol. Step away from the Christmas Cookies and Eggnog. Sorry about your stubborn BnL… ((Hugs!!)

JB – Got my Minnie Jammies on. Next time you hit Onderland (you know, this month) perhaps you can celebrate with a nice piece of jewelry, or a new tattoo, or some shoes or something. Onderland is so freaking awesome of an achievement… You can do it (again)!

Lillian - *waves*

Cheri:p

Barbie – Our own NW Bookworm… Love those “Cat Who…” books! You are NOT a mean Mom. Sasha will be glad she has teeth as an old dog… so you are doing it for her own good. Enjoy the performances! I am so happy for you, being able to dance, again.

Katla – I am not at all discouraged about my carboholic backsliding… I expect it will happen now and then… particularly at this time of year. I just have to get a grip on my constant bouts of Impatience. Good luck on the sleep goal. I thought about adding one, but, I know DARNED well that unless some kind of miracle occurs, more sleep ain’t happening any time soon.

Rita – ((Double Hugs!!)) I am sorry your DH has the Christmas Blues. Sorry about the distant-close kids. It’s very hard. I have a little of that going on… I live less than an hour from my older Sis – but haven’t seen her in nearly two years. But, you definitely belong here… I am thinking good thoughts for you.

Kate – I was afraid, before I started going, too… I was 275 pounds, 48 years old and had NO physical endurance. But, I figured, anybody who didn’t want to see an old fat lady on the treadmill didn’t have to look! AND – when I started going, I realized a couple of things… 1)
    Everybody else is doing their own thing – so nobody is looking at me. 2) There are every size, shape and configuration of people at the gym. I am not a freak, I am not an object of ridicule, or even of interest. The only people who notice me are people that are there every day around the same time, and they are giving me that “hey, we are both here, again” nod. I highly recommend going… it gives me a huge feeling of accomplishment every single day I go.

Mary – UGH. Bathroom remodel is on my list of things to do… both bathrooms need some love and I am not looking forward to it. Glad to hear you are doing well. ((Hugs!!))

DJ – I am so excited for you. I do hope you can check in while you are away… some of us only get to cruise vicariously. Have a marvelous time!!!

Carol/NC – Hope life eases up for you, soon.

Marion – Welcome!

Tere – 5lbs for November was great! If you can do the same in December, you will be one happy camper come Jan. 1 – no Holiday Ten to lose!

Allie – ((Hugs!!) Glad to hear you are getting some info together.

KJ
    – Kid Logic, ya gotta love it.

Jane
    – ((Hugs!!))

Janet<3

Beth
    – Welcome Back, Hon! Sorry about DH… the PT really will help, even if the nerves are shot for good.

BootCamper – Welcome! Slow doesn’t matter – you are DOING it… good for you!

Grace – Waving from NorthTexas…Howdy, Neighbor! ((Hugs!)) Even if you are just holding steady, keep it up!! As long as the numbers are not moving in the wrong direction – you are winning. Oh yeah, and do not focus on 150 – trust me, that is the surest way to get discouraged. Just focus on the next five – or the next workout, or the next day under CICO… that will be a LOT less stressful, I promise.

Becca – Money is always going to be an issue – unless we win the lottery or something – so I am glad you are wrapping your mind around budget control. Love you goal to appreciate NOW. I really need that one, myself. ((Hugs!))

Joyce – Stubborn Husbands… what is a girl to do? My DH doesn’t like the Memory Foam, either. Hope the mattress return goes smoothly!

Tryn2 – Welcome – pull up a keyboard and say “hello.”

SueBDew – Lots of Texans round hear…and YES – not buy a lot of weird, fake stuff that no one will continue to eat… that was my plan too. It’s slow going – but it’s GOING – and I don’t hate ever moment of it, like I would if I were eating fat free fake food.

Sue/WA – Thinking good thoughts for DH and his interview! I wish I were as industrious as you gals who are already into the shopping… And so sad about your instructor’s daughter.

Toni - Thanks, Sugar!

%%%%%%%%%%%5

Well, I am off to stir the beans. Hope everyone has a marvelous evening, morning, whatever time it is where y'all are when you are reading this!

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DJ: Have a great trip

Beth: Welcome back

Re: Congratulations on your weight loss. You are rocking it!

Tere: Congrats on the 5lbs! Way to go!

Carol: So glad to see you post. Drop in when you can :)

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day - Started at 3000 steps per day to meet my goal I would need to have walked 135,600 steps in the month. I actually walked 140,347 steps.

- Get to Tai Chi at least once a week Missed one week due to eye issues but some weeks managed to make it twice

- Increase daily water intake needs some work

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Dec:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello, Dazzling Dames!

Kate – I was afraid, before I started going, too… I was 275 pounds, 48 years old and had NO physical endurance. But, I figured, anybody who didn’t want to see an old fat lady on the treadmill didn’t have to look! AND – when I started going, I realized a couple of things… 1)
    Everybody else is doing their own thing – so nobody is looking at me. 2) There are every size, shape and configuration of people at the gym. I am not a freak, I am not an object of ridicule, or even of interest. The only people who notice me are people that are there every day around the same time, and they are giving me that “hey, we are both here, again” nod. I highly recommend going… it gives me a huge feeling of accomplishment every single day I go.
    Hugs for everybody!
    Re in TX

I love reading your posts Re!

One of the reasons my husband and I love Planet Fitness is it truly is a No Judgement Zone gym. Like you said no bodies paying attention to anything except what they are there to accomplish. For our area there are Texas A&M students, townies young and old, faculty and old fogies like us. We don't go often enough but when we do it is just so satisfying to feel accomplished at the end of whatever you set out to do for that workout! There is a no heavy lifting policy and a strict clothing policy. No intimidation whatsoever. And our PF gym is immaculate.

It was a beautiful day here. Got in a long walk this morning and then "earned" the rest of my steps walking around the house doing this and that. My headaches have returned which is unsettling so I have re-instated my PT exercises. Looking into seeing a chiropractor.

Hugs to everyone for whatever reason you want!!!

Cheri
    in auditory overload as the football game plays on the tv and the hubs tells me a story about work (both of which I have no interest in) lol

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sue in Texas,11 days at Disney????? You are one brave woman. We spent 5 days and even though it was tons of fun, it cost a LOT of money and we were all tired. I did rent a power chair and it was what made the trip do-able. AAA did our entire reservations for us. It was the agent that suggested how I rented it. She used a medical equipment place she had used before. It was at the Disney hotel when we got there and all we had to do was to leave it at the front desk for pick up. And it came apart so easy to put in the back of our minivan. We have always rented here in town but we didn't have enough room in the car to transport it down there. We stayed at one of the budget Disney resorts but the rooms were fine and it came with the fast food dining plan but the fast food was no where close to McDonalds or Burger King. we got real good food and lots of it. We ended up using all the snack coupons or whatever they were called and bought a bunch of food for the road trip back home.

Charleen, I love to make quilts although I haven't made one for quite a while. My quilting buddy moved away and she was the expert and my 'eye' for correct fabrics and patterns. But putting the binding on was my worst nightmare. I would never give one as a gift or show in a quilt show. They were all for me or both my daughters. My favorites were making old denim quilts that were used as lap quilts at a ball game, or one my sister and Mom got me started on. You had the blocks that you had to cross stitch and quilt then you put all those together in whatever size you wanted, along with all the bordering fabric. It's on my bed and one of my pride and glories. The very first quilt I made is on my wall above the bed since I don't have a headboard. Happy sewing

Joyce, Indiana