WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Mary … very good points about suicide…

Lois … sorry to hear about your father’s passing and your husband’s back surgery. Congratulations on the awesome weight loss!

Janetr …. So sorry you came home to a disaster. I hope you’re serious about leaving until it’s been cleaned up!

Beth
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Well, we put the ceramics away. I kicked the turtle and broke the feet off. I really like it, too. But Vince thinks that since the break just happened, he can fix it. I remember this guy at ceramics used this something600 glue. I remember using it once, but couldn't find it. I must have used it up. So I'll just have to get more.

Lenora - wish we had a daycare like the one you had -- 4 hours. I sent my kids to daycare, just part time (1/2 day) mainly for socialization than anything else. To be honest, most places only want full-time kids. I needed the 4 hours for, like you, doctors appointments, etc. That's basically what I used the time they were at daycare for. Also, it gave me time alone with one of the kids.

Does anyone do hand quilting any more?

Becca - awesome advice to janet

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michaels Hard Body and her Killer Buns and Thighs DVDs. I also have Jorge Cruise's book 6 Minutes in the Morning to Lean Hips and thin Thighs.

Another thing I have is called "Fit in Six". This is a disc for the Wii. There are workouts that focus on 6 areas - upper body, balance, lower body, cardio, core and flexibility. There are at least 6 different workouts for each area and each workout varies in time.

PM me if anyone is interested in one or more of these. I need to make room for more DVD's....lol

All I ask for is the cost of the postage.

Michele in NC
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Janetr could you hire a cleaning service? There's no way I'd be cleaning up that mess for sure!

Katla I've seen a PBS show on yoga, if it's the one I'm thinking of the instructor is based in NH. I do yoga stretches 6 days/wk because of my back...some before I get out of bed. It makes a world of difference in my flexibility, stiffness & pain...as does swimming.

Re you have been doing a great job, I don't have your flair for witty comments, but I do enjoy yours!

Michelle thanks for your kind words.

Heather your before & after pics prompted me look back at a picture of me 6 mons before starting my journey to better living...omg I really was obese! Now I need to get a current full length photo to compare then I'll post...58 pounds makes a heck of a difference.

I'm feeling the start of a scratchy throat...I can't get sick now...too many appointments to drive DH to, meals to prepare for him & holiday "stuff" to do.
    Goodnight my bed is looking very comforting right now,

Lois thinking positive, healthy thoughts on the North Shore of Ma.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gif I taught and danced my whole line dance class today :) Somebody asked if I'm back to 100% yet...I'm not yet, but with the help of physical therapy, I'm getting better every day. My back still gets tired more quickly than it did before, but I danced more this week than last week along with walking the dogs and riding the exercise bike....I seek progress rather than perfection.

:)Janetr, I agree that you should pack a bag and go to a motel until your house is cleaned to your satisfaction.

<3 Barbie--NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I need to try again.
  • Katla49
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Alberta has grown since this was taken. I will bring her into the house in a few days and decorate her. The neat thing about Alberta Spruce trees is that they can come into the house for a while in December, go back outdoors and survive. They're slow growers & can also live in pots for years. This year I bought another smaller one that is already decorated & inside and also a tree shaped Rosemary plant because they smell so good & will be useful in cooking.
    Katla49 wrote: »
    krtw36f2xsw8.jpeg

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – We also lived in a new neighborhood where all were fairly young married w/small children within about a 3 of 4 year range in age. We all shared a babysitter; and we’d each pay her whatever her hourly rate was. She made good money, too. Great babysitter. Never played favorites and whenever someone moved into the neighborhood, she came over and introduced herself. Our boys ‘loved’ her. She actually lived on the ‘main’ road; but it was shorter to hike the block-and-a-half through the woods behind her house. They had a peacock and the first time that thing ‘crowed’ if that is what you call it … it was horrible; but, we quickly got used to it. It was used by them as sort of an alarm system. The kids loved going over there to see it strut. We had so much more to do in Macon, than down here near Albany. Middle of the State with 2 Interstates running through it. Several of my former HS friends live there now that they are married. Babysitter used to work for Davidson’s, a nice store, and she would bring home ‘end of the season’ items that she thought would fit us and then we’d get her ‘store’ discount, too. There is a ‘huge’ mark-up in clothing, for sure. When some of the things we could purchase for less than $5 apiece. I had a friend, former Cowboys cheerleader, husband had been a quarterback until a injury ended his career; who taught me ‘how to buy clothes’ a season back. She’d find all sorts of ‘bargains’ and put them together and look like a million bucks. But, she’d look ‘good’ in anything. Tall, long dark naturally curly hair, thin, legs that made men take a 2nd look. She moved to South Florida and we lost contact with one another. I’m sure I could probably find her on FB or somewhere.

A lady that lived across the side street from my parents did hand quilting. When we got married, she brought over a quilt she had made and apologized for it as that was all she could afford to give us. I told her that it was my ‘favorite’ of all my gifts; and, that is no lie. I still l have it. I about wanted to murder DH once when he used it to transport some shutters back to his customer. He was loading them up in the back of his pick-up and I screamed at him to ‘stop’. Thankfully, he did not ruin it; but, I let him know that whatever was ‘inside’ the house, no matter where it was, was considered to be mine if it wasn’t specifically his. He did not think about it, he just needed to protect them shutters or cabinet doors from being scratched. Old sheets galore … but, NOT my quilt.
    I wish I had some ‘killer buns and thighs’; but, alas my cheering days are long gone. But, my biggest area of contention is my belly and/or ‘love handles’. I keep being told that it will be the ‘last’ place that I will see results. I am not one for doing sit-ups either. I will do a hula-hoop; just haven’t done it lately. I’ll have to build up my rhythm. I saw one of those boards you step up on and it twists. If I can get the place to come down on the price a little more, I might buy it. They had two pillows there that I want as well. They are a color that most people probably don’t use; but, it is one of the colors in my Oriental rug. Will go by there tomorrow while I am in town.

Put me down for the Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs; and, Jorge Cruise’s book 6 Minutes in the Morning to lean hips and thin thighs. If you have not already promised them to someone else. If you have a DVD that concentrates on the abs and love handles that you are willing to part with … just tell me how much and I’ll send you a check.

Lois – I don’t know why but, I usually get sick during the holidays … probably too many people who won’t miss a party even ‘if’ they are running a fever. It usually goes straight to my chest, too. So if the girls are sick, they don’t come down here and I don’t go down there (unless it is an emergency). I catch everything they have.

Katla - Pretty Christmas tree. I have a small 'fake' tree that I used to hand all my 'angel' ornaments on; but, I did not put it out this year. It has started looking more like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

Lenora
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Sherry – sending hugs!!!!!!!! Take care – reach out to your old neighbors, maybe one can help you fix the generator…

Heather – hope the viewing goes great

Barbie – thank you for Dec!!!

Beth – sorry to hear about DH, but glad you are back… you can get back in a routine!

Welcome newbies!

Janetr – Love Becca’s suggestion

November Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1… Letter is done but not copied, ½ of the envelopes written
    Read and report on a book – I read a book, and enjoyed it but it turned out to be very political so not posting about it
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be. I logged all my breakfasts, but not all the other meals, 11,000 + steps everyday missed one day
    Work on water consumption – not bad….

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Shirl5874
    Shirl5874 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I've been here a few times but have never posted, I've lost a few kilo's but nothing for while so I'm going to start tracking again, I'm going walking in the morning, after walking my 3 dogs I've walked 2.5 km and I have a weight routine I'm suppose to be doing but haven't been consistent. I live in Queensland Australia and its getting warm so my walking will be done about 5 am.
    I wish everyone well.
    Shirl
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Darn it I am getting sick :(
    Need to go get makings for some low sodium chicken soup & some ingredients for easy meals for me to make for DH since he can't do his own

Lenora I can't blame this on any parties (haven't been to any) but have been to lots of medical offices & rehab. Try to always use hand sanitizer afterward but I have heard lots of coughing people now that I think about it.

Barbie you are the back surgery patient everyone wants to be...keep dancing & walking...you are inspirational!

Lois getting grumpy on the North Shore of Ma.
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :pB)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

Took my first two days off of my new part-time regime, and had enough energy last night that my husband even noticed. This would be because the sleeping problem has resolved itself with five or six hours night and a two to three hour nap during the day, which is definitely an option while I'm largely working on my own schedule. AND I went and worked out yesterday morning for the first time in far too long. Hopefully really will be able to get my feet back under me. Was able to actually clean the camper/trailer to my satisfaction yesterday for the first time in longer than I care to remember.

Speaking of cleaning, Janet R, yeah, at sight of the first bug I would have been out of there myself. So frustrating when it's a grown man who's letting it get into that state. Ack. Just felt a shiver run down my spine from the thought of bug infestations. Ish.

Not too unhappy that the first place we fell in love with fell through - the timing's not right, I think. Not that I'm renowned for my patience (OK, I have none). It will work when it's supposed to do so, and not a minute before, and sometimes I can be at peace with that. This is one of those times.

Two peaceful, rainy days ahead.
    Lisa in serene (and damp) West Texas
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    weighed in this morning lost the couple of holiday pounds and a little bit more
    Now off to join the gym and have first induction session with trainer wish me luck

Kate UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    janet surround yourself with peace and calm in every way possible. Before you know it, your place will be a spic and span, spotless, the way it has always been. Let DH handle the restoration and you find a peaceful spot to be until then, you deserve it. My DH would be as horrified as you feel, he hates when someone takes advantage of kindness and doesn't take care of property (he's a professional property manager, so he has seen it all as far as renters go). the fact is it feels lousy when somebody takes advantage and violates our space. It's Done, now DH will get it dusted!!! <3 & Peace

Well ladies, i was so engrossed in reading your posts, I just burned my beautiful oatmeal with blueberries and pecans. I managed to rescue the top part, but will wait to see if I can rescue my pot!!! It's soaking in the sink as I drink my second cup of coffee.

Today's plan is to do yard work with DH, exercise and take a nap, tomorrow I'm going to a Handel messiah concert with bff and perhaps a little grocery shopping.

Embracing the cold weather, meal planning and getting back on track this month. Thank goodness we all have a little accountability and support by checking in with each other.

NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well done Kate UK! :flowerforyou: I have three pounds to lose to get back to 10 stone, my maintenance point. (140 pounds) Going to have an alcohol free day today and a veggie curry for dinner. :D

Did some memoir this morning. Hooray!

Got to marzipan DH's small Christmas cake this afternoon. I have made him wait long enough. (It has to mature) He's not bothered about icing, but he loves marzipan. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    I am at work...Tom is sick so I slept in my room on the futon,not comfy.