WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sherry – I think all of us are glad that you were able to move to a much nicer, friendlier RV setting which sounds lovely. Whenever you feel low, let us know and you will have a ring of {{{{{hugs}}}}} surrounding you and praying for you. All were concerned about you with the comment of “drinking the Kool-Aid. Happy that you are back posting. Flagging someone is something we do to inform someone to look at the posting and see why it was flagged. I've used the flag before myself. Don't get hurt, it is something that we can use to make life better, hopefully, for the person who has posted something for a variety of reasons. Like a 'tip line' it can be invaluable.

Lois – And grabbing those wipes in the lobby of the grocery store to wipe off the handles of the buggy I am using. I just wish they provided a trashcan to throw them in and happy to see that ‘someone’ has figured out how to make a cover for babies and young children in them without having to worry, so they can take it home and wash it.

KYKAREN – Put a dryer sheet in the bottom of the pot and put a little water in it as well. This will help loosen the burnt on food. Might have to put in a 2nd and leave it overnight. When I use a big pot, I always put in two.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ So sorry for the mess you came home to. Hope the KH and his son will clean it up. Can you staqy in the RV until it is done?

Sherry ~ Glad you found a welcoming place to live. Wishing continued good relations with the folks you encounter. Do you have a car besides your RV? I can't imagine driving a RV every time you need to go somewhere.

NY Karen ~ When I burn a pot, I put baking soda and water in the bottom and bring it to a oil on the stove. That usually does the trick.

For all of you and loved ones who are sick, good healing thoughts and prayers.

Carol
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Kayla, you posted:
    "I just watched a Public Broadcasting program on yoga for people with arthritis. Some of the participants were seated and others were able to use their whole bodies. Everyone interviewed on camera said that yoga was helping. Perhaps you can find it and take a look. My DH has arthritic problems, but I can't talk him into trying yoga. He goes directly into "I can't" mode. :cry:"

I have same issue with my DH. I was already thinking Yoga. My insurance that starts in January has Siver Sneakers program. I was planning on looking into that next month. Gotta get through the holiday first.

Rita from CT
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sherry: So happy for you! woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather: Your before and after's are so inspiring!

Lisa: Looks like your decision is paying off. Way to go!

Jane: Great to hear from you!

To everyone new 651171i085p8my3i.gif The ladies here are amazing, caring and supportive!

Have company coming this weekend so need to get off the computer and get housework done...

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Dec:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Kate, UK, congrats on getting rid of those pesky holiday pounds

:)Sherry, thank you for letting us know about the resolution of your problem. I am a small town person. We, too, have to drive a distance for major medical appointments but it is a small price to pay for the peace of our community. Whenever Jake and I go to any metropolitan area for something, one of us says to the other "Please don't make me live here." I look forward to hearing more about how you and Missy are progressing in your new surroundings.

:)Katla, I love your live holiday trees...what a great way to honor nature.

:) I have wanted another sweatshirt for a long time but haven't found one I like (I have lots of requirements---the right picture, the right color, no hood) and finally found one online yesterday with a cyberweek discount so I am very happy.

:) I have a simple day planned with physical therapy exercises and a walk in the afternoon with a friend.

<3 Barbie, NW Washington
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I cleaned for five-six hours after we got home Wednesday, then again Thursday so I have it cleaned up. Just the remaining bugs that was the final straw. I want him out before we go to Arizona after Christmas but of course that really is not feasible I guess. He for sure HAS to be gone before we return the first of March, but concerned that we'll return to the same situation.

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sherry: I'm so happy for you! The Eaglet has landed and it sounds like a sweet spot. :heart: Regarding satellite TV--We have Direct TV and like it. DSIL has the Dish and likes it. Look at the programming and pick the one you like best. When we subscribed the prices were quite similar. RFD-TV is a channel that is all about agriculture and horses and Direct TV has it but the Dish did not when we were choosing. You guessed it, the horse programming made my decision for us. :wink:

Lois: Chicken soup is excellent medicine, especially for respiratory crud. Cream of Chicken soup would not be as helpful because milk tends to contribute to the production of mucus. I hope you're better soon. :flowerforyou:

Kate UK: Congratulations on the lost pounds! :star:

Heather: Congratulations on getting some writing done on your memoir. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Rita: Yay for Silver Sneakers! DSIL has it. She and her 90 year-old DH go to the gym a couple of times a week. The Senior Center in their little town takes them in a bus to the next little town. Our Medicare Supplement Insurance pays for our gym memberships. They've figured out that keeping us healthy is cheaper than treating sicknesses. Smart! :bigsmile:

Portland has a tradition of Christmas Ships parades, and their group comes out to our area once a year. I'm planning to invite a few people over to our house to watch from the comfort of the great indoors. I'm thinking about food and would like your opinions. I am considering a crockpot full of chili with disposable bowls, cornbread, & veggie trays plus some kind of desserts. I do not want to serve a bunch of alcohol, but eggnog would be something festive to consider in addition to coffee. Ideas and advice are welcome. I'm not a frequent hostess and am just a little low in confidence.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hey now.....
    For those of you who prayed for me.....YOU DID IT!!!!! The Eagle has landed!
    Sherry and Missy in "off to LA LA land" Dufus....errrr, Dufur

928584azg37ws6rj.jpg

Cheri
    in very rainy TX

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    katla. I think a crockpot full of chili and fixings sound like a fun and easy way to host. Since you don't want to serve much alcohol, how about a simple apple cider warming on the stove with some cinnamon sticks? Or a seltzer table with cranberry or pomegranate juices-looks really festive.

If you've got a lot of little ones coming you could set up a real simple ginger bread house station where kids can glue on candies.

I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. I get very anxious hosting but afterwards I am always happy that I did it---the thought of it still makes me pause, but I remember our motto: let's all say it together::

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"

Thanks for the burnt pot remedies- I went with baking Soda, no dryer sheets at home, it did the trick

NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Sherry you sound so much better! Glad things are turning around for you.

Janetr It was hard enough for me when I returned and our refrigerator wasn't working. My sympathies. The problem your stepson exhibited does not sound well. Does this happen where ever he lives? Could it be a sign of compulsive hoarding? I believe he should definitely help in the clean up. He is the one who made the mess. (((Hugs))).

Our window is supposed to be fixed Wednesday. Unfortunately it will be a high of only 18 degrees.

:heart: Margaret
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Enrolled in the gym had induction with trainer, tried the treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike and a couple resistance ones. Will go tomorrow and have another go and work out a routine. In the New Year I will get advice on some heavy lifting.
    Will have access to the gym at one of the hotels while I'm in Benidorm so will use that and lots of walks to balance food and drink
    DH is supportive and says I should go every day

Sherry so happy for you I was really worried about you

Kate UK
  • marylmarvel
    marylmarvel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbiecat. I am here. I am ready to go. I recently just finished back therapy was very active jogging and working out. Trying to get back into the wi g of things and keep coming up with excuses. Help is needed
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbiecat. I am here. I am ready to go. I recently just finished back therapy was very active jogging and working out. Trying to get back into the wi g of things and keep coming up with excuses. Help is needed

:) Mary, I am recovering from spine surgery and have moments of being so discouraged that I'm not back to the same activity level as before. I keep track of steps and how long I walk and do other exercises so I have a visual of what I've accomplished to offset the feelings about how I get tired more easily. I have to take it one day at a time.

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Sherry~As a fellow Oregonian, I am sooooo glad you were able to move outside of the hectic-ness of Portland. Whenever we have to go in for husband's appointments, I abhor the traffic, the pace, and tempo of that city. I did work downtown during the late 1980's and loved it, but it was a different time, and I was a single gal. Small town life is like a breath of fresh air right? Our city of Hammond has a population of 1,567, and we are known at the pizza parlor, the Laundromat, the grocery store, the post office and other places. It's nice to have people say, "Nice to see you". It's nice to have a sense of belonging. You deserve to be pampered, and looked after like I think your new place residents will do.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora~ I rec'd the picture of your sweet Cracker, and have it on the Advent Calendar felt tree. I will take a picture of it during the middle of the month. Sadly, Photobucket, the site I use to download pictures from the camera then highlight them to post on here is really slow and laggy. It takes me about 30 minutes to post the pic on there, and then I usually have to restart.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    got out about 15 minutes after 12 so that wasn't to bad..
    and stopped at library and got Turbo Twenty Three ,Stephanie Plum and I also got a dvd I haven wanted to see
    Fred Rogers -America's favorite Neighbor.. I so admired this man, reminded me alot of my dad.. and this is a nice relaxing special about his life.. it is 3 hrs long, so I will plug it in my laptop and put my headphones on and enjoy..
    Sherry~ so wonderful to hear that this park sounds right up your alley and so glad you are in a safer place :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sherry you sound so much better! Glad things are turning around for you.

Janetr It was hard enough for me when I returned and our refrigerator wasn't working. My sympathies. The problem your stepson exhibited does not sound well. Does this happen where ever he lives? Could it be a sign of compulsive hoarding? I believe he should definitely help in the clean up. He is the one who made the mess. (((Hugs))).

Our window is supposed to be fixed Wednesday. Unfortunately it will be a high of only 18 degrees.

:heart: Margaret

Margaret, he's been diagnosed with manic depression and refuses to take meds. I think he truly does not recognize the magnitude of his problem. I've never been in a house that he has lived in since getting divorced,she did keep it clean. He definitely did not help, made himself scarce.

Janetr okc