WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey now.....

Good morning, good morning, good morning!!! Just woke up about a half hour ago to beautiful but cold weather....the sun is shining brightly and my Fitbit shows I slept like a baby and I feel it! Time to take a shower, get dressed and I think I am going to go for a walk just down the street to the little bitty post office to see if they are open so I can get a P.O. Box and start getting my mail forwarded.....then I think I will take the short drive into The Dalles to pick up the winterizing supplies....return the movie, which was a hoot and a half, funny movie, you should watch it....think I might get cable TV as they have WiFi here at the park but it is an old system and kind of weak, tried to hook up to it with my tablet but the signal dropped out and was really slow so will have to continue hotspotting to my phone (I can't believe I have signal out here, this is great!)....if I get cable I can have my own WiFi.....

There is a little market across the street from the post office so I think on my walk I will stop in there....the manager here said the people at the market are very nice but their prices are kind of expensive so I will go introduce myself and probably use the market for minor things like a loaf of bread or carton of milk, etc....

The volunteer Fire Station is right across the street, I can look out my front window and see it....they have an ambulance there so help is just across the street if I need it....and I asked the manager about crime here and he said there virtually is none and the county sheriff will respond right away if needed and is a very nice guy and treats everybody with respect which is a far cry from what you get with the Portland Police, which are basically useless and they wonder why voters won't vote in more money for them......

Carol - yes hun, I have a little car, it's a 1995 Geo Metro, gets great gas mileage and only costs me about $25 to fill the tank, lol....but since it snows here I will have to look into studded tires for it so I can get around......

Well, I should probably stop rambling and get busy.....got a lot to do today.....one thing I really like about this little park is the babbling creek that runs along one side of the property.....they have wooden benches set up along it for people to sit and relax.....it will be a good place for Missy and I to hang out and do some reading while Missy explores.......I really think I am going to love it here.....OK, later peeps..... B)

Sherry in "gotta get busy" Dufur
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Sherry I'm so happy for you. Looked up Dufur on Google Maps and it is quite small as you say. Are you in the Dufur RV Park? Hope all goes well with the winterizing!

Cheri
    in chilly, rainy College Station, TX
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - Time is too short for me to hand quilt. I am slow and not much interested in it. I do get a lot done via the sewing machine and find it very relaxing working on quilting projects. The only down side is you are sitting down on your backside (a lot!) to sew. Not a good way to burn calories.

However I do hand sew on the binding of potential show quilts, I do the finish better by hand than by machine. I guess there is an exception to every rule.
    1502025u1z9i6a0je.gif
    Charleen in Colorado (Cold, Colder and coldest coming my way)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog, 14.39min, 9.47ap, .5-1.0incl, 6.1-6.4sp, 149mhr, 1.5mi = 159c
    fitbit- 159mhr, 148c
    stairclimber- 20min, lvl6, 54avstpmin, 139aw, 1106st, 70fl, 137ahr, 144mhr = 228c
    fitbit- 149mhr, 183c

total cal 387 w/wahoo
    fitbit 331cal
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Barbiecat and Sherry – My DH and I used to live in Albany, GA; and moved when I retired on a disability out into the country in the next county. I had fought him tooth and nail about moving into the country, I had always live ‘in town’; but, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it out here. Even though I am at home all day by myself. It is so quiet and peaceful; but, I do drive to Albany (about 25-30 miles away) for MD appointment and I usually do my grocery shopping there. Americus is closer but, they don’t have the type of MDs there that I need. I only have one MD who I travel 2 hours to go see, because I won’t see one here in Albany.

Janetr – Can you hire a cleaning crew to come in prior to your return? Maybe pay them ‘in advance’ if you have to? I don’t think I would want him to stay either, under any set of circumstances. DH’s brother lived with us for several months after moving here. Our boys were young (middle school/elementary school) and I went to get something out of my DYS’s drawers and found his ‘loaded service gun’ in amongst the clothing. I told him we did not have loaded guns in our home and told him to ‘unload it; putting it away and putting the ammunition somewhere else’. He told me that he ‘never slept without his loaded gun within reach’. I told DH about it and said, ‘he has to move NOW’ … like in ‘tomorrow AM … I want him ‘out of my house’. While my boys had always been taught how to check a gun to make sure it was not loaded – they had been hunting since the age of 6; and, to never point any gun at anything they did not intend to kill. They probably would have never touched it, and would have come to one of us if they had found it; but, we had neighborhood boys that might not have known not to pick it up. He moved … the next day. I’ve been to his duplex; and he has the loaded gun on the dresser by his bed. I guess serving as a MP/Sniper in Vietnam is what makes him this way.

Margaret and Janetr - I think a man with manic/depression is harder on everybody, more so that a woman, because they really are very non-compliant when it comes to taking their meds. I rarely miss mine, DH reminds me to take it. Today I got up (he had gone deer hunting) and drank my coffee, took my medication and then had a really bad dizzy spell, so I went back to bed; slept to 2:15pm, he never wakes me up when he knows I have ‘gone back to bed’ because I only do that when I don’t feel good. My DDnL#1’s OB put her on Wellbutrin, I am very proud of her for coming over and talking to us and then taking DH’s advice about talking to a MD about medication. She’s been on it all week (since Tuesday) and on Thursday they came over, she was a lot calmer than I have seen her in years. I’m going with her next Saturday to DOGD’s boyfriend’s graduation. I think DOGD has again decided she wants to do something else with her major. She made a 100 on her test this week. Her professor has given her a lot of ‘great advice’ where it comes to things she could do for a living (with a lot more pay than what she had thought about doing). Any further education she gets will mean more money for her. But, whatever she decides we will support her decision. Her boyfriend will graduate; but, he still has to put in another quarter in order to get ‘time’ in for a ‘shoot-can’t think-of-the-word’. Where he would ‘work’ for someone in his field for a quarter. Brain Fart!!!!!

Katla – Sounds like a plan to me for watching the Christmas Ships parade; would be easy to do and not a whole lot of clean-up. Most people like chili. You’ll make a wonderful hostess.

Sherry – You sound so much happier and settled in … sounds like you move has been a good one for you.

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Michele in NC - Time is too short for me to hand quilt. I am slow and not much interested in it. I do get a lot done via the sewing machine and find it very relaxing working on quilting projects. The only down side is you are sitting down on your backside (a lot!) to sew. Not a good way to burn calories.

However I do hand sew on the binding of potential show quilts, I do the finish better by hand than by machine. I guess there is an exception to every rule.
    1502025u1z9i6a0je.gif
    Charleen in Colorado (Cold, Colder and coldest coming my way)

Well of course the emoji is sewing on a Singer sewing machine. Quilting with me is all love, fun and joy...until I get to the quilting part! Grrr... I have done both hand and machine quilting. Haven't made one in a while though and I miss it.

Cheri
    in warm jammies sitting by a space heater in TX (ever frugal hubs says we live in TX therefore there will be no heat, gotta love the man)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies. Just checking in and marking my place.

Rita from CT
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Rats, lost my post : (
    SueBDew in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sherry, am so proud and happy you are somewhere you can feel safe plus have a community that cares for each other. That is what we are to, it's just that we are in cyber land. A big congratulations.

Charleen, I don't have the right kind of sewing machine to machine quilt so I have done everything by hand. My friend that got me started on it had a large family room and a very large loom or whatever it is called to hand quilt. I bought a small one and tried to use it but it just didn't work so I went back to my cross stitch days and bought the largest loom as I could and would move it along. and the jeans quilt is quite warm. I have regular upholster fabric on the back. It is heavy enough it needs no battine. I just tie quilt which was my Mom's favorite kind of quilting. During the depression, there wasn't a lot of fun. They just loved coming home from school and a quilt top and old blanket on the floor. She knew the whole family was going to tie quilt something. Oh, my jeans quilt. It has so many of my parents old clothes in it, Dad's house coat, his old dickies that hhe wore working in the garden, some of their old jeans, some of mine also. So it's a quilt made of memories. I remember when I was cutting out the binding, I made a wrong cut but didn't realize it until it was on. So I hadn't tried out some of the new features on my sewing machine so I cut out a big red heart and 'tried' to put it on an already made quilt. Didn't come out looking to good but it was my Mom's quilt and it was fine with her. She knew I was making one for her, I had to get things like Dad's old house coat from her so the quilt itself was no surprise.

Joyce, Indiana

• vernalwicks
    vernalwicks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to everyone. I just got this program and it seems a little over whelming to me. But I am going to keep playing with it so I can become more familiar with everything. I am an old, tired woman.....I am 67 but feel 90! I am going to concentrate on accomplishing December! - The whole month....I see there are a lot of people here. I am a little shy...I feel so over whelmed....Oh! I guess I said that already....Thank you for being there...I stopped watching TV and will use the time reading all the support messages. Love to all, Verna
  • vernalwicks
    Options
    Thank you so much, Marion Cliff. That's just what I needed to hear!
  • vernalwicks
    Options
    I will work on getting a photo up of myself. I live in Salinas, Ca. I am 40 pounds over. Just started today. Exercise is really challenging for me right now. Looking forward to getting to know you. Blessings and love, Verna
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I often tell people (about quilting) that I have made far more mistakes than perfect quilts because I keep making quilts.b0263.gif
    I keep making quilts so I can get better at it. I love hearing about your quilts!! I think it is wonderful that you have all those memories of your family right at your finger tips with your blue jeans quilt. Yes, when times are hard, any fabric will work and it was often the case in lean times.

Sometimes I send a promising quilt out to a long armer to have it quilted. Usually these are my potential show quilts. I have a couple of quilt shops in town that will rent time on their their long arm machines so you can quilt it yourself. I have done this a number of times, like when I have a quilt larger than a twin bed size or I have too many quilts waiting for me to finish them. The smaller ones, lap size or wall quilts I do at home on my sewing machine. I can get a quilt done on the long arm rental in a couple of hours, far quicker than I can using my sewing machine.

Right now I have a quilt out to be quilted for a charity gift, two quilted quilts sitting by my living room sewing chair to have their bindings sewn on, a Christmas penguin wall quilt and a Christmas table runner waiting on me to quilt them here at home. My DD also asked me to make her a hidden security pouch with RFID material inside it for her trip next week to several countries in Europe and Sweden. Yes, I made one with hedgehogs all over it. Need to sew the binding on that as well. I also have a stack of UFOs I picked up at a fun auction that need to be finished and quilted so there are at least 3 more charity quilts in the stack.

Good hearing about the tieing parties, that is truly a shout back to the past.

Charleen in Colorado (Nothing like sitting under a quilt when its cold!)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) I don't quilt...I knit and have been knitting since I was about nine years old. A few years ago I got connected to a group called "Project Linus"....their mission is to make blankets for critically ill children. Our local chapter has a lot of women who make quilts. I don't have family to make things for so I've looked for ways to knit for people who need what I make.

:)Verna, welcome.....don't worry about being shy....post a little or a lot....this is a good place to connect with others on the same journey. The best way to start exercising it to get out of your chair and seek opportunities to be active.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • sherryminch
    Options
    Hey now.....

Just a quick note to Cheri - yep, I am in Dufur RV Park! I was wondering if someone was gonna look up Dufur, lol.....

Watching a movie at the moment and medicating, will post about my day a little later.....

Sherry in "where the heck is........." Dufus....errrr, Dufur
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Cheri – Yeah, right … and people who live in the “North” don’t need A/C; wonder how that worked for them this year. LOL! My MGD has a pair of fleece lined boot; I WANT A PAIR NOW! Some fleece-lined CROCS would make a ‘wonderful’ Christmas present from someone; but, nobody has asked what I’d like to have. Maybe I have been ‘bad’ and won’t get anything but coal and switches.

Sherry – Yeah, I looked it up. Can you see the Fifteenmile Creek from you lot or do you look at the ballfield?

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: The seltzer and cranberry juice sounds wonderful! Apple juice & cider are not my friends. :noway:

Heather: I love the photo of Edie and Jack. :heart:

Peach: The photo of your DGD under the tree is magical. :smiley:

Becca: I agree with you about the benefits of small town life, although my small town is not quite as small as yours. I like a small town near enough to a city that you can go there when you want, but far enough away for a slower pace and the chance to get to know people. :smiley:

Sherry: You sound happy with your move. I hope you are happy there for a long time to come. (((HUGS)))

vernalwicks: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :flowerforyou:

I did a little bit of Christmas decorating/gardening today, but have a lot left to do. The decorating/gardening has to do with my tiny Rosemary Tree. I transplanted it into a pot where it can live for a long while, and hung little red plastic Christmas balls on its branches. It is cute placed just outside the deck fence where I can see it from the living room window. :smiley:

I have purchased invitations so I can send them to friends and neighbors to invite them to watch the Christmas Ships Parade from the comfort of our house. Now I need to send the invitations. I'll probably deliver most of them by hand.

We have an appointment for the next step in our quest to keep raccoons out from under our house. The pest control guy will be installing a barrier to close a gap in the foundation between the neighbor's house and ours to prevent raccoons from getting under our house. The man will be here at 1 am. The question is which day. I think it will be after midnight Sunday, in the wee hours of early Monday morning. DH thinks he will be here after midnight tonight in the wee hours of Sunday morning. DH plans to sleep downstairs just in case he's right. I am confident that I am the person who is right this time. We will see. I hope I'm right. Being right is more fun. :devil:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • sherryminch
    Options
    Hey now....

Lenora - lol, you looked it up too? Sweet! If I walk to the back of my site I can see the creek from there.....I am on the upper level of the park closest to the street.....on the other side of Fifteen Mile Creek is the city park that has RV sites as well as tent sites with fire pits, a large playground and they even have a decent size pool that I'm gonna hit up hard come summertime!...the ballpark you saw is in the city park.....i am in the RV park on the other side of the creek, across from the fire station.....

OK, be back later....just put another movie in.....gonna watch "Warcraft" again....I like fantasy type movies, I looked for "Avatar" but Redbox didn't have it.....gotta go, movie is starting.......

Sherry in "where did I put my pipe?" Dufur
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to everyone. I just got this program and it seems a little over whelming to me. But I am going to keep playing with it so I can become more familiar with everything. I am an old, tired woman.....I am 67 but feel 90! I am going to concentrate on accomplishing December! - The whole month....I see there are a lot of people here. I am a little shy...I feel so over whelmed....Oh! I guess I said that already....Thank you for being there...I stopped watching TV and will use the time reading all the support messages. Love to all, Verna

Verna ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) old lady from the northern most tip of Oregon rushes in and hugs ya.... WELCOME!!!! oops
    you are shy.........well, just take all your shy bags and throw them in the white areas of this thread now...along with all our baggage, not that shyness is baggage mind you, but its nice to picture all our baggage all stacked up, until the sweeper comes. Now who is assigned to that job ......oh wait Janetr I have assigned your step son to take care of keeping the sides of this place spotless!!! heehee...I am full of vim and vigor tonight....sheeesh....
    old lady named
    Becca from
    Oregon