The cheese appreciation thread

Options

Replies

• rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No shout-outs for Blue Stilton? I like blue cheeses, but I prefer them creamy and I draw the line at Roquefort. That stuff will take your head off!

Also Camembert, and Raclette. And obviously goat's cheese.

The beauty of a strong cheese is that, energy-dense though it is, you won't have too much. Unlike a nice block of mature cheddar, which I could snaffle in a heartbeat.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything but goat cheese (nasty nasty stuff) is good with me!

woah woah woah... HOLD UP. How dare you discriminate towards goat cheese! Goat cheese is my favorite! Grilled raspberry, goat cheese and chocolate panini. That is all.

What is this! Omg sounds devine
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Nokkelost on pumpernickel is my weakness, but it's almost impossible to find anymore. Leyden is close, but just not the same.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No shout-outs for Blue Stilton? I like blue cheeses, but I prefer them creamy and I draw the line at Roquefort. That stuff will take your head off!

The beauty of a strong cheese is that, energy-dense though it is, you won't have too much. Unlike a nice block of mature cheddar, which I could snaffle in a heartbeat.

I miss raclette.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ALL THE CHEESES! Seriously, I haven't met a cheese I didn't like (and that includes Dairylea triangles). Just need to find a nice crumbly Wensleydale to go with my Christmas cake.

A couple of years ago I went with my hubby to a cheese-tasting event. The server came round with a plate of cheese and said "this will serve six people". Nuh-uh, I could have eaten the entire thing on my own. Do you know how difficult it was for me not to grab the plate and run away with it?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I love both stilton and roquefort!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I want to try Halloumi!

I love halloumi. I buy it at the farmers market and pan fry it. Ummmmmm
  • kdemetter1986
    kdemetter1986 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I loooooooooooooove cheese. All cheese
    But it's sooo many calories :-(
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Love it. Probably my favourite (that I don't buy very often because it's so creamy and delicious and hard to keep to a reasonable portion size!) is Mersey Valley Cheddar from Tasmania. Not sure if that's available outside Australia though. Or really any bitey cheddar like the Margaret River Cheese Factory ones.

Day to day I'm more likely to eat swiss slices (yum!) or Bega light/tasty slices - which are pretty good for reduced fat cheese, mostly because it's easier to keep an eye on how much I'm eating. Oh and laughing cow is a regular snack of mine, though that's not really proper cheese.

We had Margaret River smoked at lunch time today on our camping trip. Had it a few times before. It's amazing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i LOVE cheese. I made homemade burrata today.. about to put it on top of avocado toast yumm. Making homemade goat cheese tomorrow.

Burrata? Teach me? I've done goat cheese lots of times but just as a quick version. No rennet. I do want to though!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Shout out to the unsung hero of the cheese world, haloumi <3
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite cheese stories:

https://gherkinstomatoes.com/2009/05/21/at-the-tables-of-the-monks-charlemagne-did-cheese-part-iv/

I'm picky about cheese: I really, really like some types, and really, really would rather not for others.

I'll give a shout out to Manchego cheese, eaten alongside thin, thin slices of Jamon Serrano, and thin-sliced crusty bread. And a small glass of dry sherry, preferably while sitting with close family and friends.

My first taste of goat cheese was in Paris: a lovely salad with bread-crumb crusted warm goat cheese. Very nice!

I like a little bite to my cheese, so I like the Colby and the Pepper Jacks. Last night, I folded a couple of slices between two halves of very hot sweet potato and had a good time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    One of my favorite cheese stories:

https://gherkinstomatoes.com/2009/05/21/at-the-tables-of-the-monks-charlemagne-did-cheese-part-iv/

I'm picky about cheese: I really, really like some types, and really, really would rather not for others.

I'll give a shout out to Manchego cheese, eaten alongside thin, thin slices of Jamon Serrano, and thin-sliced crusty bread. And a small glass of dry sherry, preferably while sitting with close family and friends.

My first taste of goat cheese was in Paris: a lovely salad with bread-crumb crusted warm goat cheese. Very nice!

I like a little bite to my cheese, so I like the Colby and the Pepper Jacks. Last night, I folded a couple of slices between two halves of very hot sweet potato and had a good time.

I miss French warm goat cheese (on toasted baguette) salads. Can't find that type of cheese for a reasonable price here sadly.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just had to stop back in. I got the Christmas flyer from my local grocery store--here in Rome--and it's chock full of gormet cheeses on sale for the holidays. There is also an international section with Blue Stilton and Cheddar. Many of them are paired with fine wines. Enjoy.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I went to an actual cheese parade yesterday. It featured a 400 pound wheel brought in from Italy of Cruculo cheese. I bought some and it was great, very creamy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2016/11/29/dancers-horses-proclamations-must-concord-cheese-parade/RoZqIeduSZAyIhlXB0IwFN/story.html
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town where our only grocery store is Walmart. They have a decent, but limited, selection of cheeses -- cheddar, mozzarella, pepperjack, havarti, maybe some pre-sliced provolone and colby-jack, and that's it. I just got a car last week; last night I went to our larger neighboring town and... guys... I bought fontina and BellaVitano sartori and Gruyere and dilled Havarti and blackberry goat cheese and white cheddar Laughing Cow (shut up, they only have original here) and I didn't buy burrata but I think I'm going back for it this weekend. WHEW.

I had never had any of these cheeses before and now I am angry at all the wasted years I wandered cheeseless and alone. So sad. So bereft. And now, so happy (and, possibly, fat).