Who is healthy BMI but stuck with belly fat?

Options
Is it normal to never seem to be able to rid of belly fat....Im a BMI of 23%
My belly is the only place that bothers me.
Do I need to eat way less to get rid of it? Ive currently been at 1400cals and going over once or twice a week. I have lost some weight since Sept due to clothes fitting loser. I won't weigh myself. It can wreck me mentally!
I lift heavy 2-3 times a week. Walk 30min 5 days a week. Sit at at desk all day...clean every evening at home. Skating once a week for 45min.
Question: what can a person due to blast belly fat?

Replies

• tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No way to target fat in specific places unless one wants to pay ;). BMI is an alright indicator to be used for a population, but for an individual it's best to use your eyes to see if you have to much fat on your body. For your information the BMI calculation does to some extent underestimate. You can have a BMI of 23 & be obese by the amount of fat you have on your body, for females expecially this phenomena has a higher occurrence.
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    tosi1312 wrote: »
    No way to target fat in specific places unless one wants to pay ;). BMI is an alright indicator to be used for a population, but for an individual it's best to use your eyes to see if you have to much fat on your body. For your information the BMI calculation does to some extent underestimate. You can have a BMI of 23 & be obese by the amount of fat you have on your body, for females expecially this phenomena has a higher occurrence.

Well this just isnt fair!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh yourself, how do you know what your bmi even is? Or are you referring to body fat percentage? How did you determine that number?

I will say that a bmi of 23 (if that is what yours is) is in the top half of "normal". Depending on gender, bone structure, and muscle mass, you may be better off at the lower end of normal weight for your height. Also, people carry their weight differently - "Apple shaped" people retain belly fat longer than "pear" or "hourglass" shaped people. The belly may simply be the last place you tend to lose... Unfair as that is :(.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Since I just posted this in another thread, I'll copy it here:
    ...No food, exercise, supplement or magic spell selectively targets belly fat, or fat in any particular place on your body. As has been said over and over again in this thread, your fat distribution pattern is established by your genetics. When you lose weight, it will come off in accordance to how your genetics dictate you lose weight. There's nothing you can do to change that. Nothing. Ab-so-lutel-ly nothing.

Fat is inert. It has no contractile properties (like a muscle does), it just lays there. It can't be exercised, it can't be "shredded" or "blasted" or "melted" or "zapped". When you exercise the muscles underneath the fat in a particular area of the body, you're exercising the muscles - not the fat itself. The fat is just laying there doing what fat does, which is being fat. As has been repeatedly said (in this thread and every other of the thousands of "belly fat" threads on MFP), the only way you'll lose fat is through a caloric deficit - and you'll lose it in the order your genetics dictate, and you can't change that. Keep at it and eventually your belly fat will come off, but there's no way to hurry the process along or make it go away there before everywhere else.

This^^

Also, here is a good thread for you to take a gander at, OP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to never seem to be able to rid of belly fat....Im a BMI of 23%
    My belly is the only place that bothers me.
    Do I need to eat way less to get rid of it? Ive currently been at 1400cals and going over once or twice a week. I have lost some weight since Sept due to clothes fitting loser. I won't weigh myself. It can wreck me mentally!
    I lift heavy 2-3 times a week. Walk 30min 5 days a week. Sit at at desk all day...clean every evening at home. Skating once a week for 45min.
    Question: what can a person due to blast belly fat?

How do you know your bmi if you don't weigh yourself?

Also, BMI isn't expressed as a percentage, it's just a number. Body fat is usually expressed as a percentage, but doesn't have any direct correlation to BMI.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Also, BMI isn't expressed as a percentage, it's just a number. Body fat is usually expressed as a percentage, but doesn't have any direct correlation to BMI.

It actually has units of kg/m^2, but I'm not sure that matters.
  • mandibland
    mandibland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're retaining weight in your belly area, are you doing exercises that directly target the core? Past a certain age it is difficult to lose belly fat and if you lose weight too fast it results in excess skin. I usually lose weight in my mid-section last as well.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mandibland wrote: »
    If you're retaining weight in your belly area, are you doing exercises that directly target the core? Past a certain age it is difficult to lose belly fat and if you lose weight too fast it results in excess skin. I usually lose weight in my mid-section last as well.

You can't spot reduce fat. And at what age does it become difficult to lose belly fat? I've never heard that one before :p
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Know how we know you didn't read the thread?
  • mandibland
    Options

You can't spot reduce fat. And at what age does it become difficult to lose belly fat? I've never heard that one before :p

Women over 40 are more likely to store fat in their stomach area.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage. At its best, it decreases the risk of permanently loose skin since it cuts down on the time the skin is stretched.

That has to be one of the most irritating diet myths I read on this board.
  • mandibland
    Options

Know how we know you didn't read the thread?

Where in the thread does it say she is working on her core? She says she is having difficulty losing belly fat and that she works out and lifts. Glad you were so insightful. Just because you said it doesn't eliminate the question.
  • mandibland
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage. At its best, it decreases the risk of permanently loose skin since it cuts down on the time the skin is stretched.

That has to be one of the most irritating diet myths I read on this board.

You've obviously never had a large friend get small very fast. Check any number of weight loss sites and there are horror stories of these results.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It is difficult for most people to lose stomach fat, regardless of age. The fact that a person stores more there doesn't actually mean it is harder to lose.

(Speaking as a 40 year old woman with a lot of stomach fat.)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've never heard of this, interesting. OP and I are both in our 30s, looks like we only have a few more good years left in us :(