• CatB409
    CatB409 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks@fishshark didnt think of that
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    CatB409 wrote: »
    ...it seems that i always have to have a coke with my meal to have me belch?

Why do you want to belch after every meal? If you're eating ~1200 calories and feeling as though you have to belch, you're possibly swallowing a lot of air. Try eating slower and chewing longer.

Or if you really have to burp every meal, go for diet fizzy drinks/sparkling waters.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You could also add in some exercise. I love food far too much so I work out to let myself have more! If you're going over, you could easily burn 400cals in a cheeky hour in the gym. If you're going to be busy though, pop a protein bar in your bag, theyre usually between 200 and 300cals, so a much better lunch substitute in a hurry
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Look up your regular fast food places online and make yourself a mental list (or even an actual written list) of lower calorie items that make satisfying-enough meals.

Personally, I'd just stay away from fries altogether. All they ever did was give me something to munch on while driving until I got to where I was going. Just sticking to the main part of the meal, I realized I didn't need the fries at all. They were a complete waste of calories. So try just getting the nuggets, sandwich, whatever.

Really, what's up with your need to make yourself have to burp? Anyway, plain soda water, diet coke, coke zero.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I was running late to work and was hungry leaving a drs office and stopped at mcdonald for chicken nuggets and a coke and fries...dinner had my fit food ground turkey with asparagus and rice with a organic fruit juice smoothie with protein

If you'd swapped the coke for Diet Coke you'd have saved 300 or so calories

That said if you only have 1240 calories allowance a day there is no way that nutritionally you would hit your minimums eating like that

Fruit juice smoothie would also be a bad idea with such limited calories...high in calories, low in satiety (for many)

You need to move more and pre plan more and switch sodas for diet soda

Yep. Diet coke or coke zero. McD's has both.

What is your height, age, current weight and goal weight? Please answer and PLEASE open your diary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: don't consume the Coke at lunch, big calorie savings and no sacrifice of satiety.

Then, if you are close to the limit, have a lower cal dinner. For example, if I have a high cal breakfast and lunch so limited calories for dinner, I may just have lean meat and vegetables. If you wanted the rice and had a pre-made thing ready (that's what FitFoods is, right?), then that's fine too, but maybe skip the fruit smoothie. Just cutting out the two drinks and you'd probably not be over my much.

Second answer: did you exercise? If so, those calories should be added to the goal.

Third: do you really need to be eating 1240?

I don't care for fast food myself, but if you like it you can include it, but I'd plan for it in advance and think about what you really want. Soda is a calorie waste, IMO, if you don't care for diet, and fries are really high cal too. But really just plan for it in advance.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Eating hot buttered popcorn which will probably put me over for the day.

And I don't care. :)
  • CatB409
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was running late to work and was hungry leaving a drs office and stopped at mcdonald for chicken nuggets and a coke and fries...dinner had my fit food ground turkey with asparagus and rice with a organic fruit juice smoothie with protein

Why not just stop at the nuggets and skip the fries and coke? Especially the coke. At least get a diet coke. Or just get more nuggets and skip the fries too. Neither the fries or coke will help you feel full. But they do help you blow your calories.

Honestly juice smoothies aren't really something I'd recommend when on that low of a calorie goal. You're better off EATING your calories vs DRINKING them. It will go a long way in making you feel full. Plus it's actually less work to just grab fruit instead of making a smoothie.

I eat fast food a lot and there are definitely good options out there. McD's Thai chicken wrap for example is big and only about 450 calories. Get the grilled chicken with it. Even just 6 nuggets is 300 cals, which isn't too bad. Watch which sauce you use for them though. It's all about choosing something that might actually fit into your goal.

Pre-plan! Even if you're in a rush, take a few minutes to think about it. McD's has a nutritional pamphlet that you can look at before ordering. Or check your phone - pre-enter the food into MFP to see if it'll work.

If you're finding you need to drink soda to make you burp, I'd actually consider switching around your diet. Change things out until you find out what is making you unable to pass gas (either direction). For me it was too much pasta. Reducing the amount of pasta helped. Some people are sensitive to spices or onions.

Belching might also be a habit you could break without any consequence. Try cutting out the foods and drinks that make you feel you need to belch and breaking your habit of feeling that way. It actually might work. I need to work on not cracking my back... it's a bad habit that just makes me want to do it more and more...

Alternatively, maybe speak with your doctor if you really have a need to burp. Maybe there's something going on there. Burping once or twice a day is common, but if you're genuinely uncomfortable without belching and are finding you have to belch very frequently, it's worth looking into.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

Okay, according to sailrabbit.com, your TDEE is:
    Sedentary: 2041
    Slightly active: 2338
    Lightly active: 2424
    Moderately active: 2536
    Very active: 2976

You have 48lbs to lose, so you should be aiming to lose 1lb per week. 1240 is far too low for you.

To lose 1lb per week, you should be aiming for 1541 plus around half your exercise calories back, and this is if you're sedentary.
  • CatB409
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

You have 48lbs to lose, so you should be aiming to lose 1lb per week. 1240 is far too low for you.

To lose 1lb per week, you should be aiming for 1541 plus around half your exercise calories back, and this is if you're sedentary.

Lite
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

I'm 5'6" and older than you, very sedentary, and started out at 217lbs. I was eating 1500 cals per day and losing 1lb per week with almost no exercise, so I'm sure you could eat more than you have been. Perhaps your goal is too aggressive and you need to consider scaling back your expectations?

I'm now 171lbs and down to 1290 per day to still lose 1lb per week, but after months of getting used to eating less it's not such a hardship for me as it would have been at the start. I go over my limit at least a couple of days per week, but as long as I'm still under my maintenance calories I don't worry about it... all it does is just slow down my rate of loss slightly. If I find I'm going over too often, I'm more disciplined about sticking to it for a while. I also take two-week breaks every 8-10 weeks, where I eat at maintenance levels, to give myself a mental rest from having to be strict. Despite a few of these breaks and a few occasions where my weight loss has stalled for 3-6 weeks at a time, I've still lost an average of 1lb per week since January.

Could I have lost weight faster if I didn't have these breaks, or had eaten less from the start? Of course I could have. Would I have stuck with it, been successful, and be feeling like I could continue my plan until I reach a weight I'm happy with? Probably not.

One thing I did do at the start was to stop drinking my calories (once I realised how many calories are in soda, milk, juice, etc.!). If you really enjoy your Coke and don't want to give it up, consider a diet variant like others have suggested. Or drink sparkling water instead. It's an easy way to cut down on calories!

It sounds like your problem is twofold... restricting too much so you're feeling too hungry and then going over your limit, and lack of planning for times when you need to grab something on the go. I second the other suggestions here to carry things like protein bars or pre-weighed snack bags of nuts, or to check out the nutritional info of fast food places you like to visit and find some lower-calorie options in advance so that you know what to go for if you need to eat there.

You can do this. You just need to figure out which types of food fill you up for longer (for me it's protein and fats, others feel more full on carbs), put a little advance thought into what you're going to be eating, and be prepared for those times when you may need to eat on the run.

Good luck! :)
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

Lite
    ???
    Are you trying to say that you're lightly active, or? I am confused.
  • CatB409
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

Lite
    ???

Lite
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @cerise_noir
    Height 5'6
    Weight 208lb
    Age 31
    Goal 160lbs

Lite
    ???

Lite

You don't have to eat foods marked as "Lite" to lose.