WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Shery, I don't even know how to mark as abuse. I don't know what the flag is used for. I have maybe one time clicked awesome and I thought it was something like the 'like' button on Face Book. Sherry, we all need each other. I know that I unfollow some face book friends and I don't see their posts. But with my personality, I do to their page and occasionally read. I hope you are like me and do some back and read and see that we love and need you.

It is going to be another hard time convincing Charlie to let Michelle and I to do some decorating his bathroom.

Lenora, our house is 2200 sq ft. It's a bi-level with 1100 on each level. When our kids were younger their friends said our house was a mansion. Since it is a bi-level, it is taller than their neighboring ranch style homes. It's not a full 2 story look, but bigger. But we have these big pillars all along the length of the full porch. Then of course when you walk into the foyer, it is a high ceiling. Of course the foyer is big enough you can barely turn around since we have a coat tree. Then to break up the huge tall wall in the foyer we have a very long rug hanging there. But it is basically an 1100 sq ft with a family room downstairs

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Awful! So sorry. :'( I should just lock up and leave next time and have a trusted friend pop in to check up on pipes etc. Not worth the hassle. <3

Had far too much to eat today. Lesson learned. It wasn't the shared meal, it was when DH went upstairs to watch soccer. Secret binging. Yuk! Haven't done that in a while. Back to routine tomorrow. Strategy is stronger than willpower. Forgot my strategy today. :s:'(

Tomorrow is another day.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    janet. Oh how gross , so sorry your renter(?) left your place like that! Never again.

Karen, its Jack's son, he's been at loose ends for a year or two. Splitting up/getting back together with his wife. He owes child support on two from his first marriage and a 3 year old with current wife. He quit a good job, got in trouble for not paying child support, no where to life, yada yada. So he "offered" to come stay at our house while we were gone and take care of the house, mail, yard etc. The agreement was we would pay water and utilities, cable, etc. and he would make the house payment, which is not all that much. I don't really care about the money part of it, he needs a break, but no one should treat a home that way and especially when its not your own

Janetr okc
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Well, got antibiotics for UTI, and 2 cotisine shot in my shoulders. It seems I now haw severe arthritis in my neck with milder forms the rest of the way down my spine, jaw, and hips. Oh, well, no wonder I don't sleep well and am either stiff, in pain or both. This doc also recommended I stay with chiropractor for therapy. So, here goes more doc appointments! Hurting tonight, shot seems to have made neck and shoulders worse.

Later all,

Rita from CT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetR: What a rude homecoming. I am so sorry. I suspect you'll make different provisions for your home next time you go. I'm frustrated, sad and mad on your behalf. :grumble:

Heather: You are absolutely right; strategy is stronger than will power. No one is perfect and you'll do better tomorrow. :star:

DH had an eye doctor appointment with the fellow who uses laser treatment for blood vessels inside the eye. It went on and on. DH is a tired guy right now. While we were out, the pest control guy was at our place. We've been having problems with raccoons. We'd hoped to be home when he was here, and now I wonder what to believe. He's coming back Saturday at 1 am to plug a hole he says is between our home and the next-door townhouse. He'll come back later with a bid. That worries me. I hope this company is honest. They were recommended by the homeowner's association president. Wish us good luck.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!"
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Fed horses in the dark this morning and then went to water aerobics. It was a good class and I treated myself by sitting in the spa for a while. The hot water felt so darn good. Wish it would stop raining at least for a while but they say we may have snow next week. Darn, I retired and moved out here so I would not have to deal with that. DH is whining about not feeling well but will not follow doctor's orders so not sure what he expects, a magic pill I guess.

Goals for December are to increase fiber to 20 grams per day, continue to drink at least six glasses of water or more per day and continue water aerobics three times per week. I would like to be lighter at the end of the month but will settle for staying the same over the holidays.

Janetr - So sorry for the mess you came home to, that is no fun.

Heather - Love the before and after pics.

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." - Benjamin Franklin

Take care everyone, Sue in WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    long day at work, and now home.. stew came out great.. had just a baby bowl with a piece or 2 of meat and carrots..
    worried about Sherry and hope she is alright.....working probably until 1 tomorrow...
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Expecting rain and cold weather tonight. Had first Christmas party and did good with the brunch because I didn't like what they served. I was going to skip breakfast but decided to eat a little bit before I left home. so
    glad I did!!
    Joyce_ my DS and DDIL have some kind of DisneyResort Club thing so they get the condos free. We ordered from a grocery store that delivers right to the condo so we will have some food other than Disney food. We were also able to order Christmas dinner to be delivered to condo. There will be 12 of us so should be fun?.. I've been walking a lot to get ready but we can always go back to condo if we get too tired.
    Janet-how disappointing to come home to your house in that state. When we leave for any length of time I have someone come by and check on the house. I probably live not too far from you if you're in OK. I tell my DGKS when we have to go to Allen or McKnney for sporting events, I feel like we are in OK.

SueBDew in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    :heart:

Goal for December is to treat myself and others with Kindness.
  • reputationtacos
    reputationtacos Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Goal for December is to treat myself and others with Kindness.

You totally win!

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Heather - thank you so very much for giving me the suggestion of using shirataki noodles in soup. What a wonderful suggestion! You look lovely, especially after having lost the weight. But before then you were still lovely

Becca - I remember the Pioneer Woman once said that she used dried blueberries in her muffins so that she wouldn't get the blue swirls. I haven't tried that so I don't know how it works out

Lois - boy, do you have a lot on your plate! So sorry for all the things that went on in your life but glad you came here

janet - i can see how you were grossed out. I would be too

Sue in WA - whenever I take a water aerobics class, I wind up drinking so much water (I take a 54oz mug with me and usually finish it) that if I don't get to the bathroom asap, there's going to be an accident. Sometimes I'd like to go in the hot tub, but mother nature calls and she's VERY persistent.

Worked on some of the Christmas decorations, mostly put out the controllers, some extension cords, Vince put lights on the "fence". For some reason, this year I was having the hardest time trimming the ties. Maybe they're thicker than the ones he used to use.

Later tonight Vince wants to go in the garage and put the ceramics up. He may have to add extra shelves and he does have to glue the pelicans onto the log and the work and turtle back onto its log.

Remember I was telling you all about how Jessica's friend moved down here? Well, I know there is some rift in the family, I never thought it my place to ask about it, tho. So I asked her if they were doing anything for the holiday. I fully expected that they were. They weren't so I invited them over here. Vince got upset because Denise said that she wants to have our Christmas just our family. Not even Colby. To me, that's just plain wrong. Colby's family is in Idaho, I'd feel terrible if I knew he was alone. Amanda, Andy and Aiden (Jess' friends) are alone. christmas is a time of sharing. There's a saying "guest in the home is God in the home". If I were alone, I'd appreciate someone inviting me to share the holiday with them. The only thing is that Andy has major (and I do mean major) health problems. I told her we usually go to midnight mass and she said that they couldn't go with us since Andy needs to hook himself up to the dialysis machine. He's also diabetic so I need to think of a dessert that he can have. Any ideas anyone?

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    77grvbywsysk.jpg
    To peeps, welcome new peeps. Our furry butts r in December now
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Michelle – No we never got caught. We were adults and talking about it once we were all at parents’ house; this was when my Dad was still alive; and, oldest sister asked why they let us to some of the things we did. Daddy laughed and said he was happy we did not fall and break our necks. Mother was not as pleased. Said ‘I did not know about it’. It’s like when sister starting putting on make-up; very heavy-handed. Mother’s friends were aghast that she let her go ‘out like that’. Mother told them that one day, she’d look in the mirror and see that she looks like a clown and would stop wearing so much, and she did. Wore only eyebrow make-up and mascara and lipstick. I have done the same most of my life; but, I also wear eyeliner. Neither of us ever needed it. In fact, if I put on any type of foundation … even “Bare Minerals” I look like I have wrinkles; without it my skin is very smooth. The only time I ever wore make-up foundation was to cover a birthmark I have on my neck and a little on my face. It was bad when I was a baby. Made my neck look dirty. One day my Daddy was bathing me and I was screaming so loudly that Mother came in and asked Daddy ‘what he was doing’? He told her that he was trying to get the dirt off my neck, she had to tell him ‘it’s a birthmark’. It has faded over the years and is now almost invisible. I know it is there but, no longer wear a special pancake foundation. Pancake make-up was popular when I was in HS in the late ‘60’s.

The summer before her Senior year oldest sister put a little peroxide in her hair; when it started showing the roots, the beautician we went to in order to get our hair cut monthly asked her what she had put on it. She kept saying the sun did it. She told her she knew that wasn't the truth because of the 'roots' showing. She finally admitted to trying to bleach her hair. Jane asked her 'if she would trust her to do something to correct it'. Sister was so upset that in about 3 weeks they'd be taking Senior pictures, she had little say about it. So she does her magic and turns her around and she has long auburn hair ... she loved it! Everybody at school loved it. She was beautiful. When DH and I met, my hair was auburn; we got the auburn highlights from our Mother. Daddy's hair was so black it was navy blue. Oldest sister saw a neighbor when we moved to the 'big' house whose hair was totally white. She loved her hair; and, prayed for her hair to be 'white'. It started turning in her late 20's and by the time she was 45 - it was basically totally white. I have more white/gray hair than my normal color. Middle sister dyes hers blond.

KJ – Sounds like you daycare is much more than a ‘day care’ … you teach your babies things and make them ready for 1st grade (or nursery school). I went to one that was run by the Women’s College for Teachers; and, they would have students come over as part of their curriculum. Some were very patient; others were very strict, and some did not need to be teaching ‘small children’ at all. When my boys were young (well, when DOS was young) had not had DYS; there was a Woman's College in Macon that ran a Mother's morning/afternoon day out. You could bring you child and leave them for 4 hours in the morning OR for 4 hours in the afternoon. It was great! Thank had other children to socialize with and cheap babysitting for those days when you had MD appointments and other things that were not conducive to having little children with you. It was also a 'teaching college'. DOS loved it; but, he was pretty shy. I could put him down and give him a toy truck and the ladies would say that he'd play in the same spot the entire time. He loved Tonka trucks. He and DYS thought they had 'died and gone to Heaven' when they each got a 'big' Tonka truck for Christmas. One got a dump truck and the other got a grader. They never fought over them. If one was play with the truck, the other one had the other one. The nice thing about that particular house was that it was 2-story. I could keep the downstairs spotless and the boys each had a room upstairs and off the back bedroom was a walk-in attic. We had it sheet-rocked in and that became their playroom. No toys downstairs, no toys in their rooms. They could do whatever they wanted to in the playroom.

Welcome to all the newbies. Come often, post often, and tell us what you prefer to be called, where you live (generally or specifically), family, pets, and hobbies … things that help us get to know you. You’ll find this is an excellent site for encouragement, information, and a place you can feel safe in ‘ranting and/or raving’. The only 2 things we try to not discuss, or at least not too often, is ‘politics’ and ‘religion’.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Well, got antibiotics for UTI, and 2 cotisine shot in my shoulders. It seems I now haw severe arthritis in my neck with milder forms the rest of the way down my spine, jaw, and hips. Oh, well, no wonder I don't sleep well and am either stiff, in pain or both. This doc also recommended I stay with chiropractor for therapy. So, here goes more doc appointments! Hurting tonight, shot seems to have made neck and shoulders worse.

Later all,

Rita from CT

I just watched a Public Broadcasting program on yoga for people with arthritis. Some of the participants were seated and others were able to use their whole bodies. Everyone interviewed on camera said that yoga was helping. Perhaps you can find it and take a look. My DH has arthritic problems, but I can't talk him into trying yoga. He goes directly into "I can't" mode. :cry:
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I do a lot of non-show quilts as well. If you saw them you would think the quilter was still in the early learning stages. Sometimes what was in my mind's eye doesn't look as good when put together.

So while I try to make each one as flawless as possible, very few actually pass the quilt police test. My current favorite is a 3 color quilt with a flannel backing. The binding job is about as bad as it can get and still hold everything together, but I love the feel and the colors so much it sits on my lap every evening. It's never been shown.

I've not tried making a quilt out of denim yet, is it heavy?

Charleen in Colorado (Gotta sew faster - below freezing temps for daytime high is just days away!) 700994oifrxbcvjg.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.15min, 12.5amph, 143mhr, 2.9mi= 123c
    fitbit- 144mhr, 84c
    ELIPTICAL- 41min, 119ahr, 130mhr, 2incl, 2-3resist, 3788str, 92stpmin, 4.03mi = 300c
    fitbit- 163mhr, 318c
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.15min, 10.3amph, 139amhr, 1.4mi = 81c
    fitbit- 125mhr, 59c
    walk station 2 wk 8.31min, 3.5amph, 113mhr, .4mi = 41c
    fitbit- 127mhr, 62c
    walk wk 2 sta- 8min, 3.5amph, 101mhr, .4mi = 60c
    fitbit- 133mhr, 84c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.50min, 7.4amph, 139mhr, 2.5mi = 190c
    fitbit- 145mhr, 114c

total cal 795 w/wahoo
    w/fitbit 721
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Janetr - Awful! So sorry. :'( I should just lock up and leave next time and have a trusted friend pop in to check up on pipes etc. Not worth the hassle. <3

Had far too much to eat today. Lesson learned. It wasn't the shared meal, it was when DH went upstairs to watch soccer. Secret binging. Yuk! Haven't done that in a while. Back to routine tomorrow. Strategy is stronger than willpower. Forgot my strategy today. :s:'(

Tomorrow is another day.

Heather UK xxxxxxx

I'm about to pack up and leave now and tell my husband and stepson I'll be back when they get the place cleaned up and the bugs gone, yep bugs. I'm sick to the stomach over all of it. I'll be breaking out in hives again at this rate. I'm obsessive compulsive I know and I keep everything absolutely so so, I try to let up when others are here but its very hard for me to do, but this I CAN'T handle.

Janetr OKC (wishing I were any where else)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Janetr OKC ~ So sorry about your rude stepsons' behavior. At 40 yrs old he ought to know better! You should have taken pictures before you cleaned, then price a cleaning company, making stepson pay for THAT! I am such a meanie but he SAID he was going to keep the place up while you were gone. He totally reneged on that obligation. Go to a hotel, and wait it out. Your health is more important than getting stressed out. (((((((hugs))))) We love you! Your husband should let son clean it up (unfortunately the stepsons version of "Clean" isn't a normal persons version of clean).
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Becca - You are so right, thanks for your kind words and I may do just that and go to a hotel.

Janetr