Salad Dressing Suggestions?

Options

Replies

• flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing is a hard one because nothing, yes nothing is as jam packed full of flavor as a buttermilk ranch or 1000 island/russian dressing. However, there are some low calorie options that some people have already mentioned above.

I do use a pre-made Kraft Lite dressing, usually balsamic lite (25 cal) or raspberry vinaigrette lite (30 cal). I use one serving which is 2 tablespoons, I then add a tablespoon of Pompeian balsamic vinegar well (5 Cal). A dash of pepper and jalapenos and you have yourself a tasty salad!

I eat a salad every day that consists of: Spinach, Onion, Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Olives, Tomato, Mushrooms, and Jalapenos. It usually weighs about 400-500 grams and is a total of 200-300 calories.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Really, I think you find a dressing you like and then find out the minimum you can put on and still enjoy it. It really doesn't take much if you toss the salad with the dressing. On the other hand, I have no issue eating salads without dressing, so that's easy for me to say.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I realize this might sound weird or even gross. I love salad, but have just never been a big salad dressing fan. I actually put bbq sauce on a lot of my salads. I love it!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I really used to like the Wish-Bone Salad Spritzers; unfortunately they discontinued them... The Bolthouse ones are a good replacement for creamy-type dressings. For vinaigrette I just buy high-quality balsamic vinegar and skip the oil.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm all about vinaigrettes and usually just make my own (cheaper and better ingredients than store bought). I generally stick to a 2:1 ratio of fat:acid and season w/ salt and pepper to taste. I usually use EVOO as a fat, but I like to mix it up and use avocado or grapeseed oil. For acids, different vinegars impart a different flavor. Ditto various citrus fruit juices. Sometimes I'll add an emulsifier like dijon mustard, sometimes garlic paste, and other times I keep it really simple. I tend to make them in really small batches so that I can eat a variety of different dressings during the week, which keeps my salads interesting.

ETA: If you get bored with salads, another great way to add veg to your diet is by making green smoothies. Just be careful about how much fruit you add.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use nonfat plain greek yogurt and dressing packets or mix my own. Personally I like Ken's low calorie dressings they are fantastic. But if you want to go for the creamier versions you can always mix it up with yogurt.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like making my own. One of my favourites is an Asian inspired dressing. Super easy to make. 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp soy sauce and then a little bit of flavoring, like powdered ginger. I use a Asian stir fry seasoning I have, it's got some sesame seeds, ginger and teriyaki flavor in it. Play around with flavours until you find something you like.
  • sharynmgeorge66
    sharynmgeorge66 Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    toherlimit wrote: »
    I'm looking to increase my veggie intake, as that's one area I need to seriously improve. I've decided to incorporate more salads into my life. When I eat salads, I usually go for ranch or 1000 Island - basically the worst ones. What kind of salad dressing would you recommend that may be similar, but healthier? Is that even possible? I'm somewhat new to the world of salads.

you can always make your own honey mustard...I mix mayo with mustard and add stevia.. then you can water it down to your liking for the consistency you desire...it is a great sugarfree variety that goes great as a chicken dip also
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Salsa on a chicken salad!
  • Ashante37
    Ashante37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Wishbone's Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette and also the light version of it. I also sometimes get the Balsamic vinaigrette but I'm trying to watch the amount of sodium I get each day and that one is pretty high, along with Italian dressings... I do like to treat myself every now and then with a creamy dressing and I just discovered (at Taco Bell if you can believe it) Hidden Valley's Avocado Ranch.. it's so good... Taco Bell puts it on their "healthy" menu item the Power Bowl and the Power Burrito with either chicken or steak. Also with my salads, I like to change up the leafy green from just iceberg to maybe spinach, to romaine to kale..so you're not eating the same thing all of the time and get bored. I also by Tyson grilled chicken cubes, shredded/crumbled cheese (your preference), and depending on my budget I'll add crushed pecans, almonds and Ocean Spray dried cranberries. And you can't forget croutons.. I spoke to my nutritionist and she said that they actually aren't bad for you.. just keep it in moderation.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I often just add a big blob of cottage cheese. Good protein, too.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms for the win. Also, Oppa cucumber dip is 20 calories per serving and it's the bomb!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like Maple Grove Farms poppyseed. But whatever you pick, do measure it out to the proper serving, typically 2 tbsp. With a lighter/runnier dressing, you can get away with less.
  • toherlimit
    toherlimit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I picked up a bottle of the Bolthouse yogurt ranch and it's kind of changing my life. So to everyone that recommended that - you were right! I'll be working my way down the list of comments and checking out the rest. :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This is actually really good. It's pretty thick, so it's perfect as a veggie dip. I just thin it with a little bit of water to use as a dressing. Can't beat 30 calories for 1/4 cup of "ranch"!

Plant Strong Vegan Ranch Dressing (or Dip)

makes about 2 1/4 cup

•1 box (12oz) Mori-nu brand lite firm silken tofu
    •2 teaspoons lemon juice
    •2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1 teaspoon agave (or a drop or two of liquid stevia or just use sugar)
    •1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy milk (or your favorite milk alternative)
    •1 teaspoon garlic powder
    •1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    •1Tablespoon dried parsley
    •1 teaspoon dried dill weed

Blend everything together in a food processor (or blender) until very smooth. Store in an airtight container in your fridge for about a week - I'm being conservative here for safety's sake but I've kept it a few days past that.

Nutritional information per serving : Serving size: 1/4 cup (dressing Calculated using Mori-nu LITE Firm Silken Tofu)

30 calories, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 1g sugar, 4g protein
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mustard and vinegar for me. I don't even need oil anymore... it's like 10 calories a tbsp, if that.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of mustards and I just use those and sometimes a little olive oil. Or salsa, it makes a great salad dressing.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like ranch too so I mix in some hot sauce. It makes it go farther and is tasty especially in taco salads.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a list of easy to make salad dressings, they are much less calories than the store bought ones, and you know what is going in to it. All you need is a blender or immersion blender. Let me know if you are interested in recipes.
  • concavenotconvex
    concavenotconvex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Spices: cumin, pepper, cayenne pepper. Also, lemon or what someone previously mentioned some homemade salsa.