I just can't seem to start or stick with it!

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is Evelyn and I've been on MFP for about three years now. Before we begin, here are my stats:

Height: 5'4"
CW: 261.8lbs
GW: 135lbs
Lifestyle: Sedentary

I've experienced a lot of ups and downs. I have had moments when I log and exercise consistently and lose weight (last one of those was around a year and a half ago) as well as moments when I gain it all back and don't open the app for a year, but it's starting to really get to me.

When I started MFP as a Senior in high school, I weighed 210 pounds. It was the most I had ever been and with the help of my Dad, we transformed our diet in to a whole foods, plant based lifestyle and we both lost weight. He lost nearly 100 pounds while I lost around 30.

Now, I weigh 261.8lbs. 30 of those 261.8lbs I gained in the last year. I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. It's never been this bad where I just can't stick to anything. I don't even know where to start. I can't afford a personal trainer so I've told myself to start with small goals: drinking more water or taking a walk every other day, but it's like all motivation in me is dead.

Any tips on how to get myself started? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to make a transition in to a healthier lifestyle easier? I might as well be new at this as I have no idea what to do. Everyone says to just suck it up and do it, but I've tried and tried again.

Any and all advice, tips, encouragement, or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Acrosno wrote: »
    Still pretty new to the discussion boards but my 2nd time with MFP. This time around I'be noticed a BIG difference in myself. As a result a BIG difference in my results.

Between reading threads here and my own experience the secret to starting your journey and being successful with it is ... you.

Your motivation. Your dedication. Your drive. Your desire. Your self respect. Your self love. Your restraint. Your attitude.

I see it here all the time. For me it was amazing when the hammer dropped and I said "I want to be healthy and fit and it's what I want more than anything. I deserve this and NOTHING will get in my way."
    This. You know how they say you can't make an addict stay sober, they have to want it for themselves? You have to keep weight loss or health improvements in mind as the most important thing to you.

As for tips for sticking with it, I always recommend small changes and slow weight loss goals. You've been gaining weight fast for at least a year, instead of jumping in to losing 2 lbs/week, try setting your goal to maintain at your current weight while you log everything. After a few weeks, set it to lose 1 lb/week and with the data from logging you'll see the easiest ways to get calories down.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Till you make it an ABSOLUTE PRIORITY in your life, it's likely not going to happen. You have to make a commitment to it and be consistent day in and day out. If your approach is luke warm, that's the results you'll get.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^THIS so much!

You have to want to do this for you. Make up your mind and commit.

As someone said "Show up for yourself"

And you start that by stoping the "I can't" self talk and change it to "I Will" :).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Be an adult....
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I always start by cleaning out my cupboards and fridge, then I go out and buy healthy(er) snacks and meals...I experiment with new products like roasted seaweed (so delicious!) And/or low calorie treats, that way when I wake up I am primed and ready for success...sugar-free hello cups have 5 calories by the way! Eat em all lol!

Then go to the success page and get some motivation and go back any time you need it. It's not that hard, just an adjustment in how you look at things.

Good luck!
  • ashley2428
    ashley2428 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey I can relate so much with you! I am in the very same boat. You should add me! We can help motivate each other!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Plug your stats in to mfp and follow what it says.

For me it was all about taking personal responsibility for my actions, sucking it up, and getting on with it. No amount of tips and tricks or 'motivation' from people mattered. If you want it you'll do it.

This.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I started doing low carb high fat (LCHF) and cut my cals in january this year. No exercise, no cravings, not hungry. I have lost 113 pounds. look into it. maybe its something for you. a good website is dietdoctor.com. you do not have to join anything or buy anything. I didnt
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do this. Then you just have to do it faithfully every day.

It's like brushing your teeth or showering. You just do it.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and it is really a mind game. But after 30 years of yoyo dieting... what FINALLY clicked with me was because of something on MFP. I logged every day. And on the days when I over ate, even if it was a lot, I still logged it. And then MFP would give you that little message that if you ate like this every day you would weigh xxx in a few weeks. I don't know why, but for me, that was exactly what I needed. It showed me I didn't have to be perfect. Perfection was my problem for years. If I cheated, well then, I would just eat everything for days/weeks until I found the energy to start over. Now I know there is no cheating. You just go a little over some days. That's life. Try to start walking or even use Couch 2 5K. I went from a never-ever runner to being a runner.
    Good luck, you can do it. It is worth it.

• freedomofnow
    freedomofnow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Acrosno wrote: »
    Still pretty new to the discussion boards but my 2nd time with MFP. This time around I'be noticed a BIG difference in myself. As a result a BIG difference in my results.

Between reading threads here and my own experience the secret to starting your journey and being successful with it is ... you.

Your motivation. Your dedication. Your drive. Your desire. Your self respect. Your self love. Your restraint. Your attitude.

I see it here all the time. For me it was amazing when the hammer dropped and I said "I want to be healthy and fit and it's what I want more than anything. I deserve this and NOTHING will get in my way."

I'm halfway to my goal weight. Lemme tell you there are days I don't want to exercise. Days when I want to binge on Five Guys burgers all day. But I don't give in. There are days when I do eat waaaaaay over my calories and I don't give up.

Hang in there. When the hammer drops, you will know. In the meantime log everything and keep working the program.

Best of luck!

This is exactly what happened to me. I've been on and off the bandwagon for a long time and suddenly the pin dropped. I've been overweight for 10 years now, but it's only in the last year where I have taken any steps towards any sort of exercise, and the last 6 months I have been on and off in the gym but never really built up any real momentum until now.

I have watched 100s of transformation videos and how-tos with exercises because this is a fire burning in me now. The biggest hurdle is the beginning, but you gotta be honest with where you're at. I wanted to see muscles immediately but I just had to take an honest look at myself and say that if I manage one kilo that means I'm on the right track.

Food is going to suck for in the beginning, that's just how it is. Your body is used to a certain way of eating and it feels almost like muscle memory the way your body expects certain things that are sky high in calories, and you'll go hungry constantly for those rushes such as sugar and other fast carbs. But it does get easier, all it takes is dedication and commitment.

Oh and if you do get a sweet tooth, I can highly recommend a banana coupled with a tablespoon (or 2) or peanut butter. It's delicious and it fills me right up.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You need some success behind you. You realized this consciously or unconsciously by setting a somewhat easy goal of drinking more water or walking. The easy goal I aim for when I'm feeling defeated (I've lost my way a time or too in the last few years) is just to log. My success is defined by whether or not I recorded my food for the day, no judgement about what it was.

For me the act of logging tends to gently nudge me into better habits and after only a few days I find myself feeling stronger and more in control and I can carry on from there.

You can do this. Just go slow and be good to yourself along the way.

This is such great advice. Sometimes it really is a struggle just to log, so getting it all down feels like a victory. Much like we start our initial weight loss by easing in with baby steps, it makes sense that returning to it can be handled much the same way. Start by logging, seeing what you're up against, and then begin making the small tweaks and changes....one less snack here or there, adding less ingredients to a sandwich, etc..it need not be such a drastic overhaul all at once.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've watched this video several times to help with my fitness & my productivity with being self employed. I like this approach of conditioning your mind in order to make change more automatic. Avoid struggle since willpower is limited.

https://youtu.be/WNJTf2Sv3AY

I really like that. Visualising what habits my future self had went a long way towards adherence and motivation. I focused on getting better nutrition first and then pared back the quantity (not focused on calorie counting per se). Also realising that most people who maintain have conscious and unconscious strategies. So I observed and mimicked.