December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp It's really good to see you're healthy and getting back into normal running.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @lissadecker Belated *Happy Birthday* Wow, you accomplished a lot this year. That's worth a lot of celebration cake - birthday calories totally don't count! And congratulations on the 5k PR too, awesome!
    I think we have different schedules - if I got to bed at 9pm, I'd never get anything done, I am absolutely not a morning person. I just had a look at this year's runs, about 30% of my runs were after 9pm, five or six of those started after midnight. But then, my alarm only rings at 7:30 in the morning, so that isn't as crazy as it may sounds.

@RandiNoelle Welcome to the challenge!

@dbkyser Why "someday" and not today? :wink: There's a lot of good plans to get started running. C25K seems very popular round here.

@dkabambe and @greenolivetree Great job on those running streaks!

@07KatieP13 Nice progress on C210K - that's so cool that you'll be able (and I'm sure you will be!) to run 10k before the end of the year.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    @07KatieP13 - you're doing fab on the C210k. Well done!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Planned to do a long run this afternoon. Got started later than planned because my morning plans ran late. Wasn't sure I would be all the way around the lake by dark. Also, it was 34 degrees and there was heavy wet snow. My hands were very cold and I decided to turn back after just a couple miles.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 yes we had some bad storms the other night. Did lots of damage on the local trails. The tornadoes were just south of us a few miles. We went from no rain for 3 months to more than enough crazy weather overnight.

Been busy with Skip, she had her wisdom teeth out yesterday. She's doing great. We are watching the indoor track meet she is missing online. :smile:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So I haven't been sleeping great and very jumpy/panicky. Well, last night just when I dozed off, I dreamed I was running and slipped on acorns and I swear my legs flew up in the bed just like in my dream my legs went up in the air! It was kinda funny. I had seen a bunch of acorns on a sidewalk earlier that day and thought how dangerous they are.

I was on my feet all day and my knees are both killing me. Currently icing.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I'll be rooting for PSU too but only because it would look much better for OSU's record for their one loss to be to the Big 10 Champs. Crossing my fingers that OSU gets into the playoffs either way.

I retract what I said earlier about rooting for Penn State. Afterward, I was reading opinions online and I hadn't thought about the fact that if Wisconsin wins, it will be much easier for the committee to pick OSU over Wisconsin since they beat them head to head but that's not the case for PSU, so I'm with Wisconsin now (for this game only)

• loyalloo
    loyalloo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge. Do we check in daily here?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    13.66% of goal

01-Dec: 5.42 miles
    02-Dec: 5.26 miles
    03-Dec: 10.49 miles inc. Reindeer Run 10K
    04-Dec: <Life Day>
    05-Dec:
    06-Dec:
    07-Dec:
    08-Dec:
    09-Dec:
    10-Dec:
    11-Dec: <Life Day>
    12-Dec:
    13-Dec:
    14-Dec:
    15-Dec:
    16-Dec:
    17-Dec:
    18-Dec: <Life Day>
    19-Dec:
    20-Dec:
    21-Dec:
    22-Dec:
    23-Dec:
    24-Dec:
    25-Dec: <Life Day> - JAPAN
    26-Dec: - JAPAN
    27-Dec: - JAPAN
    28-Dec: - JAPAN
    29-Dec: - JAPAN
    30-Dec: - JAPAN
    31-Dec: - JAPAN

exercise.png

I noted that TickerFactory has apparently updated their coding so results get updated immediately! Yay!

Ran the Reindeer Run 10K this morning - last year the 10K was only 5.88 miles (per MMR), so was hoping that they fixed that this year. Didn't look at my PR on the 10K distance, but was hopeful. Turns out it was 1:03:06 (or 10:01/mile) for the Jay's Hope in October. Prior was 1:09:45 for the Peachtree Road Race in July, and 1:06:55 for the Labor Day Road Race in September.

Went out early 'cause I want 10 miles on Saturdays, so put in a 4.2 "warm-up" on the neighborhood course, then came back, grabbed the rest of the gear and headed up the road to the race (about 25 minutes away). Stood around a bit waiting for the race to start, chatted with a couple friends, and we were off. I wasn't ENTIRELY sure about the course, but I knew both the 5K and 10K were starting together, and I was hoping that the 10K split off was well-marked (and that the course had been fixed from the previous year).

hzlus1joo2fi.jpg

I tried. I really tried to go slow and steady and be a good runner-boy. You can see the ickyness of this course - DOWNHILL for 128 feet on the first 4 miles, then make up (PLUS!) that drop in ONE MILE! That one mile killed my momentum and my spirit and whatever! Couldn't really get that groove back but still wound up with a 1:01:44 (missed a sub-60 10K <Maxwell Smart voice>that much</MS voice>! https://youtu.be/oPwrodxghrw?t=3), so I'm pleased with that - definitely a PR for the distance, plus 3/4 AG and 63 overall. Pictures aren't posted yet, but I got to get a pic with 1) Santa! and 2) a guy from my church (1/3 AG) who is a Boston Marathon veteran!

Spent the rest of the day lounging and napping and telling my Garmin to kiss my *kitten* when it tried to holler at me to "Move!"

Tomorrow's the rest day, and then another 10 miles on Monday and the rest of the weekly groove.

Upcoming Races:
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    loyalloo wrote: »

Check-in as often as you like! But you might wanna read along pretty much daily (or more, some days!) 'cause we're a talkative bunch. 3 days into the month, and we're already on 7 pages.... :wink:
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options

As often as you like!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Check in daily if you want, or weekly, whatever, we're all pretty laid back. Thing is, if you miss a day, there could easily be 50-100 new posts....LOL.....we're a talkative bunch. There are some phenomenal runners in the group, I've personally learned a lot from them.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles (only running counts)

Dec 1: 2 miles@8:00min pace on the treadmill
    Dec 2: 2 miles@12:00min pace on treadmill
    Dec 3: 6 miles@10:00min pace (actual 1:00:05)
    Total: 10 miles

Rain stopped here in Dallas as I was contemplating bagging the run. Would love to say that I can pace perfectly, but that would be bunk! I was just running to the pace of my playlist. :smile:
    Now I have to go back out to get my other 7500 walking steps for that challenge.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lots of new faces! (at least since I was here regularly). Checking in again. Like I said, trying to hang out here a little more often to try to find my way back. I feel like so much has happened that I need to go back to September and read alllllllll of the posts!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I've been so bad these last few months about keeping up with the group here -_- I only have one week left of the semester now so I'm hoping I'll have a little more free time to keep up with things now! My goal for the month is 55 miles and continuing to run three times a week. Once January rolls around, I'll step it up to four runs a week assuming I am still having no pain! So far my recovery/return to running has gone really well; I had my last PT session earlier this week and I have completed three weeks of running without any pain at all! My longest run thus far has been the five miles that I ran this morning :) It's finally starting to feel like winter here; 27 degrees today! But running pain free makes too happy to care haha

12/01: 3.04 miles
    12/03: 5.03 miles
    Total: 8.07 happy miles

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @lissadecker: Congrats on your PR in the 5K!

@loyalloo: Welcome; everyone's super friendly here.

The rain we've had all day finally subsided here, so I had a good window of opportunity to lace up the running shoes and head out for a few miles. :smile:

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39

Total: 17.16 / 125
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December Goal: Trim my Thanksgiving turkey thighs and mashed potato/pumpkin pie paunch

12/1 rest
    12/2 4.25
    12/3 3.05...still under Winter Storm Warnings here in Hawaii!

Total: 7.30

@MobyCarp So glad to hear about your successful run today!

Upcoming Races:
    Races For Awareness Virtual 10k for Outrun The Sun Skin Cancer Awareness: soon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:
    exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Aargh, new neighbors left teens home alone. They threw a party, kids jumped fence into our yard, police somehow got notified (not by us). So now hubby is pulling his "you're not safe running at night" bit. It's a freak thing but looks like I'll be dragging my butt out of bed for early morning runs. Sigh.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree you should point out if all the kids are in your yard, surely it's best for you to be elsewhere! Seriously though, whatever you do stay safe!