December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    December is not starting out to well.
    • Skip the donut run and hit the trails. I could run (or shuffle) slower being solo, I could bail out whenever I needed to, trails are easier on my joints, and I'd be able to run in my new trail shoes that are supposed to arrive today.
    Sorry to hear that. I hate being injured with a passion.

This is a great group. I just joined MFP in Nov and the friends I've made are similar to this group...Awesome!
    Hoping you're back at it soon! :smiley:
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options

blk-exercise.png
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Yeah I'm hitting the Fleet Feet here in Tuscon, I usually go to them for anything running related that I haven't tried out yet. They tend to be a bit expensive but I really like them beyond that.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Walked 3 miles while waiting for a car alignment. Came back and they hadn't even started. Ugh. Still hoping to run 4 miles at some point today. Maybe I'll wait until dark. I love looking at all the Christmas lights :) They better finish this car.....it's almost lunch time :-p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Walked 3 miles while waiting for a car alignment. Came back and they hadn't even started. Ugh. Still hoping to run 4 miles at some point today. Maybe I'll wait until dark. I love looking at all the Christmas lights :) They better finish this car.....it's almost lunch time :-p

Ugh! The dealership where I take my car is a 4 hour deal, even if it's simple stuff. You have my sympathies.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Ugh! The dealership where I take my car is a 4 hour deal, even if it's simple stuff. You have my sympathies.

The bonus of your husband being a car salesman. I never have to take the car in and I get killer deals on new cars!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I rarely have to take my car in for service. My husband does almost all maintenance and repairs himself.

My legs are SORE today from the squats and plyometrics in my workout on Wednesday. Last night's run was tough with the leg soreness. So, tonight, my workout will just be yoga and foam rolling to try to loosen things up before tomorrow morning's 5k.
  • trudyschmidt
    trudyschmidt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the cold weather gear advice. I bought some UA Coldgear tights & top and tried them out today and they were great. Also wore a windbreaker but didn't zip it. When I took off the windbreaker my arms were sweaty from it. I didn't notice it when I was running, are there windbreakers that stop the wind but don't make you sweat? It was a good run today - I'm up to 3 miles continuous running now.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

The bonus of your husband being a car salesman. I never have to take the car in and I get killer deals on new cars!

Well.... I'll keep that in mind! Haha! it's not too far for me to drive to get a deal!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Walking miles

1---2 hours on YouTube, and a massage
    2---1.7 in the rain

0/5 running miles
    1.7/50+ walking miles

12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half DNS
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Had to leave the car and get picked up by hubby. I don't mind taking the car in since I work 28 hours 4 days a week and he works 60 :) I would've walked home except the dog needed picked up from the vet.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hooray! I finally figured out how to track my walking with my Garmin. I figured out how to load the walking app I downloaded purely by accident... I accidentally hit two buttons at once and POOF! The app came up!

The walking app also syncs with Strava and MFP so my walks are counted towards my goals. This makes me happy.

Walked 2.8 (well, 2.79) miles on lunch today. No running tonight because of my son's concert. Looking forward to hearing him sing in the choir!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    01/12 3.12 miles
    02/12 3 miles - that's 6 in a row for me this week, Blimey!

exercise.png

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)

10.2/120k

Stay free of injuries!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    So I totally forgot I bought 2 winter/reflective outfits awhile back. Fall felt like summer and we're just now getting cooler weather. I never even tried the stuff on! I should do that today. And return if they don't fit. I was really excited about the bright colors and reflective features. I ran in a lot of black last winter but never in the dark.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles

My Total/December: 6 miles
    Mike's Total: 0 miles

So, today is my 48th birthday and I have to say, it has been a heck of a year. I have lost 90 pounds since January and am probably in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. I had a nice run this morning with Fergus. It was maybe a little short, but I've been kind of sore lately. Plus today was my 9th day in a row of running and have my race tomorrow so I didn't want to overdo it. After my run, I went shopping for some badly needed new pants. I'll be going out for a nice long walk in a little bit and am looking forward to a birthday dinner with Mike and some cake. Birthday calories don't count, right?!

@greenolivetree Dig those purple shoes! I love 'em!

@_nikkiwolf_ Running after midnight in the cold - that's dedication there. Do you always run so late? I couldn't even imagine. It is a struggle for me to stay up past 9 or 10. LOL.

@MNLittleFinn I don't think Burpee, Death and Drop belong in the same sentence...unless it is to say that I dropped to my death doing burpees...which, for me, I think could actually happen. You are braver and stronger than I! :) Glad you are enjoying your new routine.

@RespectTheKitty Enjoy the concert! I'm sure your son will do great!

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Upcoming Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    12/1: Step class/rest from running
    12/2: 5.5 miles

Total: 5.5 / 75 miles completed
    Winter Warrior Challenge: 12.75 / 250 miles completed

I was planning on running yesterday evening, but my ankle was still feeling pretty tight. I had already done step class over lunch to get some cardio in, so didn't feel too bad about skipping it. I could feel something in my ankle trying to shift/give when I stepped just right (wrong) during class, but I just took it easy on the movement (and added 3lb dumbbells in my hands to keep the cardio factor up), and all turned out well.

Woke up this morning with the ankle feeling much better, but still with a nice bruise. Decided to skip Insanity class today--too much jumping around for my ankle, I think--and get my run in over lunch. Took a route that I thought was 5 miles, but turned out to be 5.41 miles (Didn't I do the same thing a couple months back, on the same route? Pretty sure I did...). Couldn't let myself stop at 5.41, so I made a short little loop past the doors to my building to get the full 5.5 in.

On a side note, I did my last two runs in those Newton shoes @Elise4270 gave me several months ago. This is the first time I've used them (since I had surgery shortly after I got them). Even though they're technically trail shoes, I've been using them on the road. So far, I really like them. It was a little weird the first time out, with the lugs on the ball of the foot and not having any ground contact in the midfoot or toes. But, I really like the push-off/lift sensation I get from the roll onto the toes in the back-stride. Plus, no blisters so far! Even in the spots I already had blisters, they aren't getting irritated at all. I may just end up trying out some of their other (road) models soon!

I joined a "Winter Warrior Challenge" through the local Fleet Feet store. It's a free training program where you self-log your miles, committing to either 100 miles, 250 miles or 500 miles between 11/25/16 (Turkey Trot Race) and 2/18/17 (Sweetheart Run). I signed up for the 250 miles. It will definitely be a challenge, requiring about 21 miles per week. Should be doable, though. I'm at 12.75 of 250 miles now, so a bit behind schedule. Should be pretty well caught up after this weekend if I manage to run both days as planned, though.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Please expound on this "Burpee Death Drop" you speak of. Sounds like a good one...
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @lissadecker HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And awesome job on the weight loss :)

I tried on the new clothes and I need to lose 20 lbs. Aargh. I just can't come to grips with this it seems.

And why do they make running clothes like all runners are 5'9? It really sucks that I have to roll up my running tights bc they're 6 inches too long. And those tops with the thumb hole? Great idea if my arms were down to my knees.

Any other shorties? I'm 5 ft 3/4 in.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lissadecker @ceciliaslater

Burpee Death Drop

5 burpees -> 10 inch worm
    5 burpees -> 20 jumping jacks
    5 burpees -> 30 push ups
    5 burpees -> 40 squats
    5 burpees -> 50 high kicks (per leg)
    5 burpees -> 60 calf raises