lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)

My Total/December: 9.15 miles
    Mike's Total: 3.15 miles

The 5K Snowball Run was today. It's Houston, so there were no actual snowballs. We did have rain though so that was cold and wet. :) I ran my first mile in 11:05 and my second at 11:25. Then I accidentally turned off my watch. Grr! I usually run at over 12 minutes per mile, so this was a really good time for me. My final time was 35:34.2 which is a PR for me! I think the excitement of the race plus the cold helped to spur me on a bit. Overall, I am very happy with how it went and am looking forward to my 10K next month!

@greenolivetree I am only a few inches taller than you at 5'3". Sometimes I buy capri length gear which generally fits to (or close to) my ankles. My cold weather tights I can almost wear as footie-tights though; they can cover almost my whole foot. I generally just bunch them up around my ankles. I feel your pain. LOL

@MNLittleFinn Good grief! I see why they call it a "Death Drop". You go to it! That is bad *kitten*, for sure!

@katharmonic Thanks! How'd your race go? Any snowballs?

@7lenny7 Sorry about your donut run. But I'll bet Kody was happy. Did you stop for a donut anyway?

@HonuNui, @lporter229 & @BeeerRunner Thanks for the well wishes! I had a really good day.

@louubelle16 Nice going on sticking to your training schedule! I hope it pays off nicely for you.

@kristinegift I am blessed in that I don't get hangovers very much. I have to really overdo it to get a hangover...but I could not even imagine trying to run in that condition. Well done. Feel better!

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles

TOTAL: 11 miles

4 miles in (I think) ~39:46 (9:52 pace)...was able to slow it down some today. I forgot to charge my watch, so I used my phone and Map My Run. As I was fumbling to get my phone out of my Spibelt toward the end of the run, I accidentally turned my phone off. My first three mile splits were 9:58, 9:46, and 9:52. I'm pretty sure the last mile was around 10:00 after turning back on the phone and looking at the MMR data. I've only run with my phone a handful of times since getting my Garmin 2.5 years ago and I actually enjoyed not being able to know my pace until the mile split because it really made me run by feel. I was also more consistent with my pace than I thought I'd be (yes, a range of 14 seconds is consistent for me). Not going to make a habit of running with my phone though because I have a tendency to destroy them with sweat/water damage.

I actually had an 11 mile run planned this morning but felt like I was hit by a bus when my alarm went off, so I thought getting some more sleep was a better idea. By the time I got up, it was a lot later than I wanted to run (because I have to work tonight and wanted to allow enough recovery time) but I was going to go for it anyway. The final deciding factor was when I realized I forgot to charge my watch. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    1.28 miles for me before going to the ER for 13 hr to work. Probably the same route for tomorrow.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Dec 01     4.4T       4.4
    Dec 03     5.6       10.0

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    12/1- 5.2 miles solo+ 0.8 miles with Stella
    12/2-4.4 AM miles (last 0.7 with Stella)
    12/3-11.2 miles

@lisadecker04 -Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great day!
    @greenolivetree -I am only 5'0", so I have the same problem. The Reebok pants I posted a link to a few pages back seem to fit in the length. I also have a few pairs of Adidas tights that are good. Of course, it may be that they are supposed to be capris.LOL. I have never had an issue with the sleeve length though. Maybe I have long arms?
    @kristinegift- I was feeling your pain this morning. Last night hubby and I shared a bottle of wine with dinner (I think I drank the bigger half!), then I had an Irish coffee for dessert and topped it off with a bourbon night cap. I was definitely regretting it this morning when the alarm went off. I contemplated going back to bed, but I know if I didn't go run with the group, I would be struggling to get out there all day. Glad I did. Once I got going, the cold air was a great pick me up. Now I am off to clean the house and get ready for the big game later... Go Nittany Lions!!!!

Oh no... I need to counter that. On Wisconsin!! ;)
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    I will never complain about running 4 miles on the treadmill again.... (updated 3:14 pm) Jacob Puzey just broke the 50 mile treadmill world record 4:57:55.

iby1b86y1p76.jpg

That's amazing! There was a guy that tried that at my local Fleet Feet last year, but unfortunately had to quit over halfway (can't remember his exact mileage. The most I've been able to run on a treadmill was 17 miles and I don't think I could do that again. I ran that when I was training for my first marathon a few years ago during the winter and we got a ton of snow dumped on us one weekend and I was determined not to miss my run. The apartment complex I live in at the time had these great treadmills that had TVs in the actual machine, so you could pick your own show, plug in your headphones, and zone out. I liked those treadmills much better than at the Y, where I currently have a membership.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    12/2 1.8
    12/3 3.35

Total: 5.15/100

I have the Hot Chocolate 15K tomorrow. There's a total *kitten* around mile 7. You go out & you keep thinking you're going to get to the turn around point soon. You never do. Or at least that's how it feels. And then you have to go back.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    12/1- 5.2 miles solo+ 0.8 miles with Stella
    12/2-4.4 AM miles (last 0.7 with Stella)
    12/3-11.2 miles

@lisadecker04 -Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great day!
    @greenolivetree -I am only 5'0", so I have the same problem. The Reebok pants I posted a link to a few pages back seem to fit in the length. I also have a few pairs of Adidas tights that are good. Of course, it may be that they are supposed to be capris.LOL. I have never had an issue with the sleeve length though. Maybe I have long arms?
    @kristinegift- I was feeling your pain this morning. Last night hubby and I shared a bottle of wine with dinner (I think I drank the bigger half!), then I had an Irish coffee for dessert and topped it off with a bourbon night cap. I was definitely regretting it this morning when the alarm went off. I contemplated going back to bed, but I know if I didn't go run with the group, I would be struggling to get out there all day. Glad I did. Once I got going, the cold air was a great pick me up. Now I am off to clean the house and get ready for the big game later... Go Nittany Lions!!!!

Oh no... I need to counter that. On Wisconsin!! ;)

The Illini suck this year so yeah... go Badgers.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    November's goal was 80 and a complete fail so I'm shooting for 40 miles this month.

Dec 3: 5

Total: 5/40

@loubelle16 and @greenolivetree Ha, me too. I'm 5'8" but I have long legs. Most running pants leave a large gap of exposed skin. I was thinking maybe I'd try to bring back leg warmers from the 80s to fill the gap.

@RespectTheKitty That's awesome about the app. Message me if you can share how/what you did. I can't figure out how to get apps to show up on mine.

@lissadecker Happy birthday! You've lost all that in one year. Amazeballs!

@7lenny7 Sorry you are injured. Hope whatever you decide still involves donuts. He who gets the most donuts always wins!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun Under Armour has leg warmers! They are super cute & I want a pair but have no use for them.

(Plus, I have a pair from my dance days somewhere so I could wear those if I needed to)
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    With all the talk about cold weather running gear, I keep meaning to mention that I have found some really great deals on name brand running jackets and leggings/pants at TJMaxx or Marshall's. It is definitely hit or miss sometimes, but worth a look.

@ddmom0811 , @girlinahat , @RunsOnEspresso , @skippygirlsmom - All those running stories really worry me and I have been on high alert ever since my incident last month. Please stay safe, everyone!

@7lenny7 Sorry to hear about your missed donut run! Donuts are one of my favorite things and I would be totally bummed if I had to skip a race like that, haha. Hope you enjoyed your trail run and stopped for a donut anyway!

@lissadecker Happy birthday and congrats on the loss!

@kristinegift I'm pretty sure I would not be dragging myself out of bed on four hours of sleep and a hangover for a long run, so kudos to you!

@lporter229 I'll be rooting for PSU too but only because it would look much better for OSU's record for their one loss to be to the Big 10 Champs. Crossing my fingers that OSU gets into the playoffs either way.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1/12 C210K W10 D2: 2.3
    2/12 Rest
    3/12 C210K W10 D3: 3.7

I'm nearing the end of Couch to 10K, only two weeks left. Not sure I'll be able to actually run a 10K though, I guess I'll find out soon enough :)

exercise.png
  • emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 7 miles.
    Dec 2 - 7.27 miles.
    Dec 3 - 7.27 miles.

The month starts well for me, but it is going to be hard the next couple week with Christmas and all that entails.

I run inside at the local college running track. Sometimes I feel like a wimp for that rather than being outdoors.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    12/2: .5; S/S
    12/3: 10

My first double digit run since late April. This one was pretty great. I went point to point on the crushed gravel bike/hike path and DW met me at the end for coffee. Nice!

Happy running, all!

Training for: Key West Half Marathon, Jan 15, 2017
    exercise.png

• k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dec: 30 miles running or walking.

exercise.png

1st: 3.16 miles Wk8:D3 C210k - MTD 3.16
    2nd: 0 miles - MTD 3.16
    3rd: 4.24 miles, 3.11 Park Run, Wk9:D1 C210k, 1.13 warm up and cool down - MTD 7.39

Loved the park run today and was seriously pleased with my 35:20 coming back from injury!!

Planned Races
    Rudolph Red Nose 5 - Dec 24th

@lisadecker - happy birthday
    @_nikkiwolfe_ - what commitment, running after midnight- never mind the cold!!
    @greenolivetree - love the purple!! I need to get some trail shoes for my Ruldolph5 - my first official trail run.

Edited for typo.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 Sucks that you had to defer the Donut Run until next year. A Donut run in my little town would be to easy as we only have 4 places that have Donuts and they are grouped together in pairs ( 500m apart ) then 3 km up the hill to the next 2 which are 50m apart ( parking lot separates them ).
    @kristinegift Running through a de-hydration injury and then Re-fueling with out complications ;)
    @RespectTheKitty If 5km no longer feels like it "enough" move on to a 10km like @07KatieP13 is doing. Good job to both of you.

8 km with 8 members of the running club today. Well I turned and returned at the 4 k mark - some continued on to complete 12 and 20 km. A beautiful day -2C ( 28F ) and Brilliant clear Sunny day. Forecast for next week -20 > -26C ( -4F > -15F ) so enjoy it while we can.

exercise.png

December Running Goal 140km
    12/01–0.0 km –140km – 0 km – YTD 1210.5 km
    12/03–8.0 km –132km – 8 km – YTD 1218.5 km
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @lissadecker great job on your 5k!

Mine went well today - we did have snow, which was kind of a relief because earlier it was raining so the light snow was a bit better to deal with. My running friend and I didn't really race it, we chatted along the way and got a cookie at the cookie aid station, so my time was 3 minutes slower than my PR last week. But it was fun and it was about 3 minutes FASTER than I did the same race last year - when I was trying really hard :) So, progress! It was a fun and festive race with everyone dressed like Santas. One guy was running in a red Speedo. Oh my.

Date:: :::: Miles :::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1 – 8.08 warmup + speed work
    12/2 – rest day
    12/3 – 10.13 warmup + 5K race + easy 30 minutes

December total to date – 18.21

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Finish transition to healthy running. Use Club Nationals as a learning experience on managing air travel to a race. Build a base toward Boston training. Avoid re-injury

Today's notes – It's been a good day for running. The first clue was in the hallway jog while the eggs cooked. Normally, I get in 11 laps. Sometimes, I'm into the 12th lap before the timer goes off. Today, I finished the 12th lap and wondered if I mis-counted, then the timer went off. And the running felt very natural. It would be a good day to run the first race in the Freezeroo series.

When I set off to drive to the race site, there was a wintry mix in the air. Not to worry, it's too warm for it to stick. Sure enough, it had transitioned to a steady drizzle by the time I ran my pre-race warmup. I was pretty sure I was healthy enough to run the entire 5K course as a warmup. I really wanted to do this, because I had never run this course before. Sure enough, I missed a couple of turns on the warmup while figuring out where the course went, and brought that run in at 3.21 miles per Garmin at an 8:04 average pace. I noted where the inclines (such as they are) were on the course, but mostly I took note of how to run tangents and where there were puddles or poor quality pavement. And the warmup did its physical job, too; before running, 37° F (3° C) felt chilly; after the warmup, it felt comfortable.

Before the race, a club member asked me what I expected to do. I told him I didn't think I had it in me to break 20 minutes, but I really ought to break 21. In my mind, I was thinking 20 minutes and something low; but I'd take sub-20 if that's what the day gave me.

The race was an out and back. I lined up right at the front, and a lot of people passed me at the gun. I passed several of them as the crowd sorted out, and did not have crowding issues when we got to the bike trail section of the course. Perhaps 1000 meters in, I noticed that my right shoe had come untied. It seems I was negligent in my pre-race equipment check. Thought about it. I expected I'd lose 20 or 30 seconds if I stopped to tie the shoe. I guessed that I'd lose less running with an untied shoe, unless it made me face plant. I took the risk. I didn't face plant.

There was a long enough straight stretch before the turnaround that I could see the leaders making the turn. I thought it was odd, because they seemed to be closer to me than they should be. On they came, and I saw Tim Dwyer leading the pack. He's 56 years old, and one of the reasons I was delighted to age up to the 60-64 age group. It seems the fast younger guys didn't show up for this race.

Made the turn. By now, I'd expect the order to be pretty much sorted out; but it turned out I passed several runners on the way back. I think two of them passed me in the finish line stretch, but I passed more than that between the turnaround and finish. A volunteer at the line called out 20:16. I crossed, stopped my watch, and saw it said 20:06. Turned out the volunteer was just using a timer on a phone, not connected to the official time. My official time was 20:06, 59 seconds off my 5K PR. That was an average pace of 6:24 by Garmin, or 6:29 by certified race distance. I'm happy with that, coming off injury. I'd like to run 8K at that pace next week, but I don't think I could have stretched that pace to 8K today.

Tim Dwyer won the race in 18:36. I was 13th overall out of 176, which was a little surprising. I was first of 9 in the M 60-64 age group, which was not surprising at all. Later, I looked up how the series is scored. The overall male or female winner of each race gets 100 points. Everyone else gets a percentage based on what fraction of their time the overall gender winner ran. 18:36 / 20:06 = 92.5373. So I'm in for 92 points, or 92.54 if they keep fractions. Just like my friend Bill told me a while back, there's an advantage in the Freezeroo series to running races where the fast guys don't show up. Normally, I'd expect a 5K winner to come in at 14 or 15 minutes and change; 92 points is very high for running a 20 minute 5K.

There's no age group bling for the race, because it's a low budget series. (Black Friday discount gave me 6 races for $50.) There may not be any series bling for the age group, but there are bragging rights. I'm just a wee bit competitive; I want those bragging rights.

Chowed down on post-race fare of minestrone, half a banana, raisin bread with peanut butter, and coffee. Chatted with a lot of other runners. Got home about noon, and felt like I hadn't run enough for a Saturday. What the heck, I was already dressed to run. So I went out and ran another easy 30 minutes, bringing that in at an average pace of 7:54. That warmed me up enough for a good stretching session, which I needed because I omitted it after the race.

The aftermath is all good news. This is the first time I've run over 10 miles in a day since the Rochester Marathon debacle. The recovering Achilles whispered a little late in the easy 30, but it accepted the stretches and let me do my cone touches without protest. The left-right balance reported by Garmin was pretty close to even for all three runs. I don't think I'm all the way back yet, but I'm close.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY) finished in 42:38, First Senior (60+) Male
    December 3, 2016 Freezeroo #1 (Don Curran Memorial 5K) (Gates, NY) finished in 20:06
    December 10, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - wow, you are amazing to run after that! I'm going to a cycling party tonight... so I may feel the same tomorrow. I had to laugh at your story that you almost forgot to run. That happened to me last year on the streak. I was starting to put on my PJs and I remembered ... OH F! Got to go run a mile. My husband thought I was insane - still does. Every time after our long rides on the weekends he forgets that I'm going to run and says are you sure?

The mile today after the bike ride was much better than last weekend. I stretched a lot after the ride and it helped. I have been doing a lot of squats (like when I blow dry my hair, yeah it's a sight).
    Speaking of blowdryers .... ladies that have long hair... omg I got the best blowdryer. Revlon Pro Collection One Step Hair Dryer and Styler - it comes out really nice and it is so fast. I got one for my daughter and my daughter in law and they both love them as well. Holiday ideas!

12/1 - 3.2
    12/2 - 1.5
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png