December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm going to set my December goal at 75 miles. We'll see how it goes. Will definitely have to be more wary during nighttime runs (which the majority will be) so that I don't mistake a pothole for an asphalt patch again--that's how I rolled my ankle last night. Thought it was a patched pothole, turned out to be unpatched, and the outer edge of my foot landed on the lip, causing my foot to roll inward.

That ankle is feeling a little stiff today. However, the only visually obvious issue is a small bruise and swollen spot around the area of the cuboid bone. I'll take it easy for a few days and be sure to keep compression on it during activity. Should (hopefully) all be fine within a few days.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @ddmom0811 [ I want to somehow help her... not sure how. [/quote]

If you figure it out, let me know.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    November had a lot of "disruptions". I am going with a conservative goal of 75 miles. Planning on a lot of Bodypump classes and some spin classes to go with. Good luck, all!

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    started off the month well with a 3.7mile run.

Recently I've been running on the Dreadmill, but find it depressing, and it breaks up my run (run to gym, swipe in, find machine, set to pace etc) so this morning I decided to bite the bullet and go back to running outdoors.

at -5degrees C (23F) it was also a good chance to test out how many layers I needed. Pretty chilly to start and my thumbs hurt for a while, but technical t-shirt, salomon windproof and ronhill thin trail top with padded body section, plus long leggings did the trick. And hat. And gloves.

I don't like to be too hot when running, and need something I can tie round my waist which I nearly needed to do. all items were slightly damp when I got home suggesting I'd been sweating a bit.

Also this was a test of my nerve. The park I have to run through is very dark, and there is a halfway house on the way to it, plus the towpath along the river is pretty isolated. But I saw not a soul. one rabbit and a couple of birds. That either means I'll be fine on my own running there, or everyone else knows something I don't and keeps away.

I saw a guy heading towards the same route on my way back, he was in shorts and no headtorch. Each to their own....

looking forwarrd to repeating it - my ears were on high alert and every crunch of a leaf made me jumpy!

the weekend is going to be filled with wine and a hopeful walk as I am away with a group for a 'wine-tasting'. otherwise know as a booze-up.

One of my neighbors has a scarecrow in their front yard. It startles me every 4:30 am run. It is about my height and looks like a person standing there.

I only put one ear bud in and if I hear anything that isn't a car I jump. These dark morning runs are hard on nervous system!
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I made my goal of 30 miles for Nov about half way through the month and I had to push it to get it.

For Decemember ~ I'm going to shot for... big breath.... 50 miles! We'll see how it goes.

Dec 1 - 1.23 miles chilly run, flirting with 33 degrees this morning....
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Happy December :) I plan to run 2 miles after work to keep the run streak going. I'll try out the Brooks Pure Flow 4 shoes that I've had since June but never worn. I'm enjoying the Launch 2 so far but trying not to run in the old shoes anymore so I need to get another new pair in rotation. It was a chilly 26 this morning but will be a sunny 54 for my afternoon quickie :-p

I actually set a non-running goal on Garmin Connect to get 6 hours strength training/pilates done this month. Maybe seeing that dial fill up will help me get it done since I've been slacking. Also my overall activity has been on the decline so I have set a goal of 13,000 fitbit steps per day/91,000 per week.

It was about 35F for my 2.2 mile run last night at 9pm. I threw on heavy sweatpants, a short sleeve shirt, a hoodie, gloves. I just wanted to get it done and I skipped my walking warm up and just started slowly. I steadily worked my pace up from 11:30 to 9:00 pace. I got ridiculously sweaty and as soon as I walked in the house I had to yank off all the sweaty sweats because I was suffocating in a 70 degree house. I didn't think I'd warm up that fast in 20 mins.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I'm in for 100 miles. Skip wants to run her first HM in March so off we go.

Thanks @stoshew71 see you next week at the RCM finish line :smiley:

@skippygirlsmom Oh my gosh, of course she does! She'll be 16/17 by then right? I ran my first 2 HMs when I was 17 (my 3rd after I turned 18; all during my senior year of HS) and the distance was so tough for me mentally. I didn't cross that mental barrier until many years later when I was 23/24. But Skip is a far tougher gal than I was, so I'm sure she'll take to it like a duck to water!

@kristinegift she is 16 now so will run her first at 16. I think that is a good age. She was signed up for the Huntsville Half last year but had a great opportunity for a school trip so I told her to go there instead. The half she will run also has pace groups which I think it good for her first HM.

Is this Bridgestreet?

Yes @stoshew71

OK! I won't do it this year if I am doing Kentucky Derby.

@stoshew71 you can't run the Kentucky Derby you are not a horse :wink:

You're funny. :smile: You know I mean the Derby Festival Marathon.

@stoshew71 I don't know you are pretty darn fast, you might just have a chance with the horses.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles

My Total/December: 3.25 miles
    Mike's Total: 0 miles

I slept in a bit this morning and skipped my pre-run bike ride. Kicked off December with a 3.25 mile run with Fergus. Temps were in the 40s and it was a nice morning for running. For some reason Fergus wanted to stop and pee on just about every tree and bush we passed today. Considering we run through the woods, that's a lot of stopping. I managed to keep him moving though and again I ran the three miles faster than I have before. Of course, I think it might have just been the chill spurring me on.

@9voice9 An MFP Running Challenge Choir is an interesting idea! I'm not sure how well it would work, but it'd be fun to try! :)

Upcoming Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

So strange - looking at the Ticker on the TickerFactory website it is correct but looking at it here it is not updated. I might just ditch the ticker. :(

exercise.png
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sticking with 100 miles again this year. Working on a different training schedule I found on Runners Connect. Weekly mileage is shorter but gradually builds up so I'm not burning myself out, and more interval/strength/speed training.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I'm in for 50 miles this month. Still keeping it low this month. Should be fun and it will keep me moving during the cold month. Still requesting any suggestions for cold weather pants if anyone has any.

Layer up? I know they sell those running baselayer pants, but I tend to just stick with compression or running pants. They usually keep me warm enough and I'm not sweating like crazy once my body warms up.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try for 50 miles again

01/12 3.12 miles

exercise.png

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the runners world streak through new years so I will be running at least 30 (minimum one mile per day). However the goal is to do more than the minimum lol. I'm going for 55.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Heya all

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k

Stay free of injuries!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ok. Since there are 5 Saturdays in December, I am in for 165. 0.8 done! LOL. Morning run with Stella. Looking for 5-6 more this evening, although, right now I am thinking that I might devote some of that time to yoga instead.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I need my husband to not see stories like this. He hates me running alone in the dark. We practically live in Mayberry but he's paranoid.
  • emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    December goal: 50 miles. Did 7 miles this morning.
    I am fortunate to have the local collage indoor running track to use.
    Upcoming 5K December 10. Outside. Heh.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I need my husband to not see stories like this. He hates me running alone in the dark. We practically live in Mayberry but he's paranoid.

@greenolivetree I have to say I did chuckle at the picture of her hands, like she was describing him. What gave me the willys was the thought that she was close enough to see right down into his car. This was on our local running group facebook page before it was in the news.