December 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    My main goal is to run sub-2 at my HM, to taper and recover properly; I couldn't really care less about mileage this month! I will say 80 again as an easy goal, but should be more like 90+.

I have a good feeling you'll run sub 2 at your HM, and then some.
  • MNLittleFinn
    07KatieP13 wrote: »
    I have two goals this month, to run 50 miles and to run my first 10K in about six months :)

Awesome goals! You'll be totally ready for a 10k in that time frame, and probably even sooner.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I'm in for 100 miles. Skip wants to run her first HM in March so off we go.

Thanks @stoshew71 see you next week at the RCM finish line :smiley:

@skippygirlsmom Oh my gosh, of course she does! She'll be 16/17 by then right? I ran my first 2 HMs when I was 17 (my 3rd after I turned 18; all during my senior year of HS) and the distance was so tough for me mentally. I didn't cross that mental barrier until many years later when I was 23/24. But Skip is a far tougher gal than I was, so I'm sure she'll take to it like a duck to water!

@kristinegift she is 16 now so will run her first at 16. I think that is a good age. She was signed up for the Huntsville Half last year but had a great opportunity for a school trip so I told her to go there instead. The half she will run also has pace groups which I think it good for her first HM.

Is this Bridgestreet?

Yes @stoshew71

OK! I won't do it this year if I am doing Kentucky Derby.

@stoshew71 you can't run the Kentucky Derby you are not a horse :wink:

You're funny. :smile: You know I mean the Derby Festival Marathon.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Like several have said I have no idea what December will bring either. Since I'm off work for two weeks, I should be able to get longer runs in, but I am also going up to NYC to visit my daughter and no idea what that will do.
    I'm still on my Holiday streak... so it's just all a mystery!

I'll throw a dart and say 75.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I'll set my December goal for 120. Hoping I have a better month since my hamstring is doing much better. I just hope nothing else goes wrong after my next Half Marathon.

I'll be doing some more cold weather running next week since I have to travel to Chicago for my 1st week of work. There's even a bit of snow in the forecast...that would be fun!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    You might be a runner when...Your weekly mileage is going down somewhat, and you are annoyed....despite it going down because you have added in some other strength/core/cardio, and are beginning MARATHON training...LOL...I don't need to be running that 40+ MPW right now....still does bother me some though....
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Alright December . . . running goal = 80 miles. Cross training goal = log at least 7 strength or alt cardio workouts. My plan has me doing double digit long runs each week. This will be a good test.

Let's do this crazy thing! ;-)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Made a Dec. ticker:

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    I'm in for 120 in December.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    I'm in for 50 miles.
    Been on a hiatus for almost 10 years, but got a wake up call at the end of Oct. Last month I walked just over 150 so I think 50 will be doable.
  • emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 95 Member
    December is a 50 mile month for me. Hopefully.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    edited December 2016
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    884a302014f001346e52005056a9545d

@juliet3455 - Hobbes the Vizsla tiger says 'yes!' to this ^^^ that is how he runs when he is not attached by a leash to me!

Hobbes and I are in for 100. Hoping to stay healthy all month and go out of 2016 on a high note!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    All good folks here ho-ho-ho

Planning 120k for December, let's hope for more

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k

Take care all
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    First run of the month was an easy 6k. Although -1C again as yesterday, as there were a few clouds and I planned a slightly slower pace (but ended up slightly faster!) I decided on a thick outer layer on top, and two thin layers for legs - may have been too warm for a longer run but was just right for this. I was a little tired but otherwise a fairly uneventful start to the month.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    No time today to start ticker or comment yet!

12/1 - 3.1 miles

That story about the runner in California that was abducted and held and beaten for weeks.... absolutely horrifying. I try to not watch the news but since every knows I run alone in the dark in the wee morning hours people keep bringing it to my attention. I want to somehow help her... not sure how.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    started off the month well with a 3.7mile run.

Recently I've been running on the Dreadmill, but find it depressing, and it breaks up my run (run to gym, swipe in, find machine, set to pace etc) so this morning I decided to bite the bullet and go back to running outdoors.

at -5degrees C (23F) it was also a good chance to test out how many layers I needed. Pretty chilly to start and my thumbs hurt for a while, but technical t-shirt, salomon windproof and ronhill thin trail top with padded body section, plus long leggings did the trick. And hat. And gloves.

I don't like to be too hot when running, and need something I can tie round my waist which I nearly needed to do. all items were slightly damp when I got home suggesting I'd been sweating a bit.

Also this was a test of my nerve. The park I have to run through is very dark, and there is a halfway house on the way to it, plus the towpath along the river is pretty isolated. But I saw not a soul. one rabbit and a couple of birds. That either means I'll be fine on my own running there, or everyone else knows something I don't and keeps away.

I saw a guy heading towards the same route on my way back, he was in shorts and no headtorch. Each to their own....

looking forwarrd to repeating it - my ears were on high alert and every crunch of a leaf made me jumpy!

the weekend is going to be filled with wine and a hopeful walk as I am away with a group for a 'wine-tasting'. otherwise know as a booze-up.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    12/1: 5 miles

TOTAL: 5/110

Happy December! Kicking off the month with 5 miles in 48:39 (9:43 pace). Almost decided to go back to bed, but thankfully a cup of coffee gave me a little kick to get out the door.

I put together a loose December running calendar last night which included a lot more miles than goal but hopefully that will leave me a bunch of wiggle room if I need to skip more days than planned or adjust miles down. I also added in plans for some light strength training. We'll see how that goes.
  • MNLittleFinn
    12/1- 7.04

Total: 7.04

Monthly Mileage goal: 100 miles
    Actual Month goal: Have a successful start to marathon training and not lose too much ground over the holidays.

Today's notes: 7.04 miles at 10:10 pace. Assignment was 7 miles at 10:15, but, well, it ended up how it ended up. My whole body is hurting from the strentgh/core/cardio I added in, so I must be doing something right with that....