December 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    I'm in for 110 miles this month. I'm at 118.1 for November and I'd like to increase a little bit but not sure how that will bode with the holidays. Also want to keep it a little conservative in case I need to take it easy for my shin (it's becoming a nuisance). I'd also like to add some light strength training in. I'm going to sit down and plan out my December running calendar tonight and might adjust goals, but I think 110 should be good.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I'm in for 100 miles. Skip wants to run her first HM in March so off we go.

Thanks @stoshew71 see you next week at the RCM finish line :smiley:

@skippygirlsmom Oh my gosh, of course she does! She'll be 16/17 by then right? I ran my first 2 HMs when I was 17 (my 3rd after I turned 18; all during my senior year of HS) and the distance was so tough for me mentally. I didn't cross that mental barrier until many years later when I was 23/24. But Skip is a far tougher gal than I was, so I'm sure she'll take to it like a duck to water!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    I suspect my run this evening will put me over 100 miles for November. Now, what to set for the December goal? I take a guess at 150 miles. I'd like to run 200, but given my current weekly mileage it seems like that would be ramping up a bit fast.

Nominal challenge goal: 150 miles

Real goals: Finish transition to healthy running. Use Club Nationals as a learning experience in flying somewhere to run a race. Build a base toward Boston training. Avoid re-injury.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

@skippygirlsmom Oh my gosh, of course she does! She'll be 16/17 by then right? I ran my first 2 HMs when I was 17 (my 3rd after I turned 18; all during my senior year of HS) and the distance was so tough for me mentally. I didn't cross that mental barrier until many years later when I was 23/24. But Skip is a far tougher gal than I was, so I'm sure she'll take to it like a duck to water!

@kristinegift she is 16 now so will run her first at 16. I think that is a good age. She was signed up for the Huntsville Half last year but had a great opportunity for a school trip so I told her to go there instead. The half she will run also has pace groups which I think it good for her first HM.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm in for 50 miles this month. Still keeping it low this month. Should be fun and it will keep me moving during the cold month. Still requesting any suggestions for cold weather pants if anyone has any.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Azercord wrote: »
    I'm in for 50 miles this month. Still keeping it low this month. Should be fun and it will keep me moving during the cold month. Still requesting any suggestions for cold weather pants if anyone has any.

Saucony Siberius. Great pants. They make Siberius tights too.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

@kristinegift she is 16 now so will run her first at 16. I think that is a good age. She was signed up for the Huntsville Half last year but had a great opportunity for a school trip so I told her to go there instead. The half she will run also has pace groups which I think it good for her first HM.

Is this Bridgestreet?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Is this Bridgestreet?

Yes @stoshew71
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    I've been out of the habit of running regularly after an injury at the tail end of March sidelined me for a few months, and a busy softball season meant I didn't get back into the routine. I just managed the odd 5k run here and there, and my fitness declined horribly. 2 weeks ago I decided to get back to it and I've managed 33 miles since: more importantly I've remembered how much I enjoy frequent running. I went out tonight for 5 miles on the coldest day of the year and loved it :)

So, trying not to force things too fast and pick up another injury, I'm going to aim for 60 miles in December.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Is this Bridgestreet?

Yes @stoshew71

OK! I won't do it this year if I am doing Kentucky Derby.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'll go 5 running miles. Just try to beat that! ;)

50+ walking miles again.

I decided not to ask the PT about running. I missed our last appointment- I was so achey, not sleeping. No way I was up to the drive.

She said I was tight (it bands, psoas, whatever is the inner thigh, and lots of connective tissue) and my hips were "way out". She never made it to my backside, that's also knotted back up. :o So I offered to go to a massage therapist every other week, she thought that was a great idea. She thought some of my night pain could be tight muscles.

I can do more strength stuff though. And I should be back at work by Tuesday. Look out suckers! I got my *kitten* kicken' boots on.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @MNLittleFinn thank you, looking into them now :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    My main goal is to run sub-2 at my HM, to taper and recover properly; I couldn't really care less about mileage this month! I will say 80 again as an easy goal, but should be more like 90+.
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Missed my November goal so I'll go for 40 again and see what happens.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    I am setting my December goal at 65 miles.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    My December goal is 30 miles...
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    I have two goals this month, to run 50 miles and to run my first 10K in about six months :)