December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm open for December. 1.8 miles of what I call street light pick ups. It's my speedwork because it's easy to measure distance.

I also did my leg day. I am doing Jessie's Girls Home Edition. Decided to try something different from NROLFW. It doesn't seem like a lot but you are dead by the end!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 LOL I heard that song awhile back on XM radio and was highly offended. :p I'd never heard it before that. I think I have some petite tights in short length from old Navy? I wore them when I was a size 0. The waistband might fit one of my thighs at this point :|

Dec 1 - 2 mile run, 25 min strength, some other walking
    Dec 2 - 3 mile walk, 3.5 mi run

Goal: 5.5/60 running miles only

I was gonna do 4 tonight but my garmin was dying:( I hit save at 2.5 miles and started strava as backup in case the watch died then ran the last mile fast.

Cold front and rain coming tomorrow. I hope to run 5 miles. Then just 1 mile Sunday and Monday to keep the streak going during rainy days.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    So, today is my 48th birthday and I have to say, it has been a heck of a year. I have lost 90 pounds since January and am probably in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. I had a nice run this morning with Fergus. It was maybe a little short, but I've been kind of sore lately. Plus today was my 9th day in a row of running and have my race tomorrow so I didn't want to overdo it. After my run, I went shopping for some badly needed new pants. I'll be going out for a nice long walk in a little bit and am looking forward to a birthday dinner with Mike and some cake. Birthday calories don't count, right?!

Upcoming Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

Happy Birthday @lissadecker!! Awesome job on your weight loss and getting in shape. Have a great birthday, dinner - splurge it up!

Have a good race tomorrow. I'm doing one tomorrow as well, but I think I have a much higher chance of encountering snowballs in upstate NY.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December Goal: Trim my Thanksgiving turkey thighs and mashed potato/pumpkin pie paunch

12/1 rest
    12/2 4.25

Total: 4.25

@lissadecker Happy Birthday!

Upcoming Races:
    Races For Awareness Virtual 10k for Outrun The Sun Skin Cancer Awareness: soon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date: (I know for a fact that it has missed several days of updating.....)

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My goal is 50 miles this month. My job is crying for us to pick up overtime.

12/2....4.73 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills, pace at 13:20, average heart rate at 82% max.
    Goal....50 miles

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When I took off the windbreaker my arms were sweaty from it. I didn't notice it when I was running, are there windbreakers that stop the wind but don't make you sweat?

@trudyschmidt My windbreaker/running coat has what are commonly called Pit Zips - Zippers from just above the elbow on your arm to about the midpoint on the side of your body - allowing for lots of ventilation. I also have a coat which was actually designed for cycling that has a 3rd vent zipper across the middle of the back that opens up a mesh lined vent. Of course you either need a friend-co runner to pull that zip for you or take the jacket off to open the zipper and then put it back on. Elite runners seem to prefer lighter gear therefore less zippers and pockets.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles (only running counts)

Dec 1: 2 miles@8:00min pace on the treadmill
    Dec 2: 2 miles@12:00min pace on treadmill
    Total: 4 miles

The body just didn't want to budge tonight.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    01/12 3.12 miles
    02/12 3 miles - that's 6 in a row for me this week, Blimey!
    03/12 3 miles

exercise.png

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day since starting my streak (10 days) where I woke up and just didn't feel like going out for a run. Joined a new gym though as they had a no-fee promotion - I'm in my two week grace period so decided to go down and have a look, and hop on the treadmill for a short jog to keep the streak going. I steadily built up the speed to 7mph over my requisite 1 mile. I then did a couple of short intervals (2 x 20s @ 5mph; 20s @ 7.5mph) and a short cool down all totalling 2.14km, so I successfully navigated Day 11!

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    December running challenge

December goal: continue with physio, massage and deep needling acupuncture to recover in time to start full training in January for The Around The Bay 30km in March. Maintain fitness while running is at a minimum.

Dec 1 - stretching, foam rolling
    Dec 2 - 30 min slow run on treadmill, mixing in backwards running. Physio.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge:

12/1: 4 miles, Body Pump, and yoga
    12/2: Yoga
    12/3: 8 miles

MTD: 12 out of 115

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Finally bought a light rain jacket yesterday, and it was just in time for my 1st cold (48 F, felt like 43) rainy run today. I always thought running in the rain seemed pretty miserable, but it wasn't that bad. In fact, I'd have to say it was definitely better than 90 F+ heat!!

At PT on Wednesday, I did some new exercises that made my calves hurt really bad starting Thursday. Then, they felt worse yesterday. I was really nervous with my HM next week Sunday, but I iced them and massaged them last night. They don't hurt at all while running. It's just when I start moving after resting a while. They actually seem to feel better today after my run.

@7lenny7 Sorry to hear you missed out on the donut run today. I was hoping you were going to have a maple bacon donut for me. Lol! Anyway, hope your calves /Achilles start feeling better soon.

@lissadecker Sorry I'm late, but happy birthday!!

@jodilynnsanders5104 Hope everything starts healing up so you can start running again soon!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01

Total: 21.06

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: SUFFER FEST. After doing more leg strength training this week than I've done in over a year, my legs were NOT happy with the 10 mile run this morning. I ended up actually running 20sec/mile faster than assigned, so that may have something to do with it as well. Looking forward to resting today and tomorrow before getting back into things on Monday.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - So impressed you got out for your run with hangover and 4 hours sleep! Hope the rest of the day goes well
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I also had only 4 hours sleep last night. I was having asthma issues and just restless. I was nervous about 5 miles on day 10 of the streak but it went okay and I'll take it really easy the next 2 days. I ran the busy highway again, 9:48 average. First mile was around 10:30 and the last 9:11, middle miles all around 9:40. I was tired and I really wish sub-10 miles didn't literally wipe me out but that's where I am. After this run streak I'll probably try to further slow down most of my runs and work a little harder on some speed once a week. I'm sick of being stuck in this rut.

Dec 1 - 2 mile run, 25 min strength, some other walking
    Dec 2 - 3 mile walk, 3.5 mi run
    Dec 3 - 5 mile run, 1.5 mile walk, pilates later

Goal: 10.5/60 running miles only

I left myself .75 walk home after my run and froze my butt off because I was sweaty. I know better and that won't happen again any time soon! 47 is mighty chilly when you're damp.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I thought my run sucked. Your run was a true embrace the suck run. Awesome job getting through it and even better that you got good food and coffee after!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    12/1- 5.2 miles solo+ 0.8 miles with Stella
    12/2-4.4 AM miles (last 0.7 with Stella)
    12/3-11.2 miles

@lisadecker04 -Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great day!
    @greenolivetree -I am only 5'0", so I have the same problem. The Reebok pants I posted a link to a few pages back seem to fit in the length. I also have a few pairs of Adidas tights that are good. Of course, it may be that they are supposed to be capris.LOL. I have never had an issue with the sleeve length though. Maybe I have long arms?
    @kristinegift- I was feeling your pain this morning. Last night hubby and I shared a bottle of wine with dinner (I think I drank the bigger half!), then I had an Irish coffee for dessert and topped it off with a bourbon night cap. I was definitely regretting it this morning when the alarm went off. I contemplated going back to bed, but I know if I didn't go run with the group, I would be struggling to get out there all day. Glad I did. Once I got going, the cold air was a great pick me up. Now I am off to clean the house and get ready for the big game later... Go Nittany Lions!!!!