December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    @greenolivetree you should point out if all the kids are in your yard, surely it's best for you to be elsewhere! Seriously though, whatever you do stay safe!

LOL. True. We seriously live in a small almost crime free town.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Easy 5K today - a bit of wind, but a nice sunny 5C. It was a struggle keeping my pace slow but I managed it, and I rewarded myself with a few lampost pickups between 4K and 5K. 12 day streak so far totalling 105km!

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

@loubelle16 and @greenolivetree Ha, me too. I'm 5'8" but I have long legs. Most running pants leave a large gap of exposed skin. I was thinking maybe I'd try to bring back leg warmers from the 80s to fill the gap

This may not be a ridiculous idea! One of the girls at my running club wears them and I bet this is why (she's nearly 6ft) and it doesn't actually look bad. Maybe I'll invest :sweat_smile:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

@loubelle16 and @greenolivetree Ha, me too. I'm 5'8" but I have long legs. Most running pants leave a large gap of exposed skin. I was thinking maybe I'd try to bring back leg warmers from the 80s to fill the gap

This may not be a ridiculous idea! One of the girls at my running club wears them and I bet this is why (she's nearly 6ft) and it doesn't actually look bad. Maybe I'll invest :sweat_smile:

@RunRachelleRun and @louubelle16
    I bought some leg warmers last week. I got mine at Kohls, but a lot of shoe stores sell them. I'm 5' 7", but my legs are super long too so I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough. When I was up in WI, I only brought short socks so I had a gap between my pants and socks. My dad gave me a big ol pair of thick socks and I just cut off the bottoms to make some leg warmers to cover the gap since it was below freezing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @lissadecker congrats on the PR!! (and late Happy Birthday!)
    @katharmonic, @9voice9 & @MobyCarp sounds like you all had great races as well
    @_nikkiwolf_ sounds like a frustrating start to that race, but a nice finish and a beautiful setting!

BTW, I was rooting for Penn State, great game! Not that I'm a Penn State fan, more of fan of anyone playing Wisconsin.

I'll have to wait to post my Donut Report from yesterday's run. I need to get going. Taking my mom out for her birthday dinner.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner @loubelle16 @RunRachelleRun @greenolivetree (was there anyone else thinking about buying fancy 80s legwarmers?)
    I bought a spiband (like a flipbelt, but for the ankle or wrist) and tried it out yesterday. The medium one fits snugly around my ankle, held the change I had with me (for after-race hot chocolate :) ), and covered the gap between pants and socks on my left leg. I though about getting out my sewing maching and trying to let out the hem on those running pants, but I might just buy another spiband for the other ankle.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - ugh - that's annoying about the neighbors!

12/1 - 3.2
    12/2 - 1.5
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Dec 01     4.4T       4.4
    Dec 03     5.6       10.0
    Dec 04     5.1       15.1

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles
    12/4: 11 miles

TOTAL: 22 miles

Really great 11 mile run in 1:48:02 (9:49 pace). I really focused on increasing my cadence and keeping my pace at a consistent sustainable pace (9:50). My splits were all around 9:50 except miles 3 and 5, which I allowed myself to slow to 10 due to a large gain in elevation. The last mile I threw out a negative split of 9:30 to makeup for the two slower miles. The main reason for the increase in cadence was an attempt to keep the shin/knee pain and calf tightness at bay, which really helped for the most part.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    Forgot to add in that I got back from my run just in time to watch the CFP Selection Show and see OSU get into the playoffs in the #3 seed! I think I'm finally going to put up my tree this afternoon and get out my Christmas decorations. Not bad for a Sunday!

@greenolivetree Sorry about your annoying neighbors!

@kristinegift Beautiful scenery for your morning run!

@RespectTheKitty It's supposed to snow a little bit here this week too! I'm looking forward to running in some of the white stuff.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906
    I'm a Wolverine fan, but, please beat Bama this year! :smile:
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    alipsie19 wrote: »
    @OSUbuckeye906
    I'm a Wolverine fan, but, please beat Bama this year! :smile:
    Oh boy. I'd love nothing more than to crush the Crimson Tide...gotta focus on Clemson first though ;)
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It was cold and wet..... 49 degrees, windy, and rainy... only got 1.09
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    12/2 1.8
    12/3 3.35
    12/4 9.3

Total: 14.45/100

Hot Chocolate went as I hoped. I wanted to avg 11:30. Hit just below that, despite only getting about 3 hours sleep and not wanting to go. I debated wearing my jacket. It was cool waiting so I went with it but half way through I regretted the decision. I need to remember that sometimes you have to tough out the cold, for Arizona because I'm sure you all would have laughed at us. :p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    alipsie19 wrote: »

Rain stopped here in Dallas as I was contemplating bagging the run. Would love to say that I can pace perfectly, but that would be bunk! I was just running to the pace of my playlist. :smile:
    Now I have to go back out to get my other 7500 walking steps for that challenge.

@BEERRUNNER Have you noticed another "local"?

Hi @alipsie19 ! I'm in Southern Oklahoma, raised in the north Dallas area. Glad you made it to the running challenge!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Getfitat54 wrote: »

Better than nothing. Way to get out there!

Hot Chocolate went as I hoped. I wanted to avg 11:30. Hit just below that, despite only getting about 3 hours sleep and not wanting to go. I debated wearing my jacket. It was cool waiting so I went with it but half way through I regretted the decision. I need to remember that sometimes you have to tough out the cold, for Arizona because I'm sure you all would have laughed at us. :p

Congratulations on the hot chocolate run! No sleep? Ugh!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Getfitat54 wrote: »

Better than nothing. Way to get out there!

Congratulations on the hot chocolate run! No sleep? Ugh!

Thanks! I had some weird insomnia last night. It seems to happen once a year about this time. Usually, I just have trouble falling/staying asleep. I prefer that to the insomnia stuff.