Sitting rising test. I can't. Can you?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I get that falls are a considerable danger for the elderly. But considering the most common causes of death, how does a test that relies on your leg strength, balance, and flexibility predict your likelihood of heart attack, stroke, and cancer in the next 6 years? Confessions - I struggled to get up. And I was too lazy to read the linked study,
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    I think it's getting center of gravity over your feet. I just coached my bf to do it. He can out run, jump higher and squat lower than me but had trouble with this sit/stand test. It's easy for me. I wonder if it comes down to how you train.
    lololol I did it easily but maybe because I do yoga.

I think it has to do with being female's center of balance. Like the trick with pulling a chair out while being bent over with your head against a wall. Flexibility as well as certain styles of yoga would seem to help.

IMO if you can do an A2G squat, you can likely do this test. Don't take my advice though, because I'm dead.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I go down kinda hard lol. I need one hand to come up.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    My knee with its multiple injuries over the last 50 years pretty much makes this impossible for me. I guess I am going to die in the next six years.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I think it's getting center of gravity over your feet. I just coached my bf to do it. He can out run, jump higher and squat lower than me but had trouble with this sit/stand test. It's easy for me. I wonder if it comes down to how you train.

I think it has to do with being female's center of balance. Like the trick with pulling a chair out while being bent over with your head against a wall. Flexibility as well as certain styles of yoga would seem to help.

IMO if you can do an A2G squat, you can likely do this test. Don't take my advice though, because I'm dead.

My knee prevents me from doing that without causing further damage as well.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I get that falls are a considerable danger for the elderly. But considering the most common causes of death, how does a test that relies on your leg strength, balance, and flexibility predict your likelihood of heart attack, stroke, and cancer in the next 6 years? Confessions - I struggled to get up. And I was too lazy to read the linked study,

A Canadian study found a correlation between the inability to do sit ups and an increased mortality risk:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11984288
    So putting together the Brazilian and the Canadian results, it seems that is not the flexibility, but the core strength that matters.
    Independently from the alleged precision of the test, I don't find so outrageous the idea that if you are weak you are also more likely to die earlier.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

what.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Help!!!

I've fallen and I can't get up!!!
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

what.

I've always seen it done with head against the wall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0ZTvRCS1o
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

My knee prevents me from doing that without causing further damage as well.

Does that mean people are 5 times more likely to die from a knee injury?

OMG...:)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bahahaha. I thought for sure I could do this. I CANNOT get my 40 inch *kitten* up off the floor without touching the ground. Don't care. I can deadlift almost 300lbs
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Are you saying I have a big butt? Well, thank you :)
    Brute glute strength
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Just did it yesterday morning but it is very difficult
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I can do it only using my legs. No hands or side of legs involved.
    I have to uncross them for the get-up though as a poorly set leg 40 years ago means I can't sit cross legged with my left leg.
    Average fitness level, 63 yo so, I better keep doing it.

Don't think it is so much fitness as muscle recruitment, balance, and coordination- something us old dears tend to lose so need to work on.

Probably will get run over by a bus tomorrow.

Cheers, h.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm speculating that if a senior is able to do this it is a good indication that he or she has remained active which correlates to better health. Also, an injury from a fall can cause an elderly person to decline in overall health, especially if a hip is fractured - I don't know the exact mechanisms involved in that, maybe pneumonia and hospital acquired infections.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Easy. But it's really not a fair comparison or test as I've been doing ballet since I was 4.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Are you saying I have a big butt? Well, thank you :)
    Brute glute strength

I cannot lie...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    bahahaha. I thought for sure I could do this. I CANNOT get my 40 inch *kitten* up off the floor without touching the ground. Don't care. I can deadlift almost 300lbs

Wow you are amazing. I am so dang jealous of that number. You don't even want to know my sad excuse of deadlift right now. :(
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Wow you are amazing. I am so dang jealous of that number. You don't even want to know my sad excuse of deadlift right now. :(

Whatever. You got the body. We are training with different goals :) Still, even if I lifted on a program like you, I would NEVER look like that.

And I'm jealous of how much you can eat. I still don't understand it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I can do it. I did it first with socks on in a tile floor (dumb). Slippy, but got up. Barefoot was much better.
    I'd heard of this test. Balance, flexibility & strength are all things that help us age better. I plan on staying active for as long as I can!