Have you taken your body weight scale or food scale with you when traveling?

Options
13»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    OP here--thanks for the responses! I am going to my mom's to visit. I think for me, I can fairly easily estimate portions and be okay (did that for two months losing weight before I bought a food scale), but it's the bathroom scale I think I would miss more. I feel like it keeps me in check. I'll probably wind up taking both since they'll pack easily. I have gone for two days without either, but 12 days...I don't know! OTOH, my mom does have a bathroom scale, it's just not a great one.

Depends on your relationship with your mom. If she's feeding you, she'll wonder why you can't accept what she serves just as you did when you were growing up. If you're doing your own cooking in her house, I think you have a bit more liberty to continue your own regular habits.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    No, I totally ignore the scales and most of the time even logging, while on vacation. I am not a foodie nor I have a sweet tooth so portion control and activity is all I need and depend on to keep my weight under control. I have been maintaining for six years so the scales are something that I don't use all the time anymore.

I never, ever, even thought about taking a food scale to somebody house; I would consider that a border line insult to the host, regardless of my relationship with the person. Besides, what is the purpose of taking a food scale unless you can cook everything yourself from scratch?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't do it. And I'm a daily weigher and often go overseas for weeks at a time. I do log always when traveling.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Nah if I'm traveling i'm likely eating out so it won't really matter if i weigh it. But, I might bring a food scale if it takes up a little room in my backpack
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here again. Thanks again for your responses. It's interesting to hear everyone's take on this. I would envision myself only using the food scale for snacky things that are difficult to approximate, and easy to keep grabbing more, but even then, being on vacation I would probably be okay just estimating (I purposely overestimate). My mom will have a lot of food already made ahead, so weighing that wouldn't help me much. I do think I'll take the body weight scale, because it's my reality check.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    How about learning to practice healthy portions?

That's the point of using a scale in the first place.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, both!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't take my food scale; but I do take my body weight scale. Even though I eat more on vacation, it has helped to to not be shocked when I get back. I know I will be able to get the vacation weight off. I has helped me mentally.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Here is a funny story. I took my body weight scale to a week long family vacation in Vegas. My brother as a joke, started putting quarters on the edges to mess with me. His plan was to add and subtract quarters so I would significantly gain and lose wt while on vacation. I saw through his evil plan and laughed hysterically!
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had times where I had to travel for work and taken both but I'm a little obsessive.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi--I'm just curious how many people here have done this (or would)? I have been losing weight for 3 months, and I've skipped weighing in for two days at a time here and there. But soon I'll be going out of town (visiting family, not a true vacation) for about 10 or 12 days, and I feel like I'd like to at least have my body weight scale with me. We're traveling by car so it's not really that cumbersome to bring along. Or does that sound silly?

Yup!! I take my scales with me everywhere I go (both bodyweight and food scale). I'm a traveling consultant and could be on the road anywhere from 2-10 days at a time.

Some may say that's obsessive or ridiculous, but I've lost over 100lbs and kept it off for almost four years and am now a semi-pro athlete.. So if it is obsessive and ridiculous........ I guess I'm obsessive and ridiculous. ;)