How we perceive ourselves versus how we really look.

Options
1235»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hm. That is interesting. I chose that I looked most like the second to slimmest and it said I am the perfect pear, but the slimmest. I really don't think I look like any of those body types at all.

Called me a pear to Im not sure why :D

Don't worry it said I was pear too.. the hip measurement also includes the booty so maybe that's why? I'm going to go with that ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My boobs and booty are roughly same. My booty is only 2 inches bigger than my boobs :D My waist is 12 inches smaller thn my booty. Im such a pear XD
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My boobs and booty are roughly same. My booty is only 2 inches bigger than my boobs :D My waist is 12 inches smaller thn my booty. Im such a pear XD

Well whatever you are.. looking good! :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Well whatever you are.. looking good! :)

As are you. :smiley:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lie -- badly -- on mybodygallery. So that's really a hard site to use to get a grasp on things.

No kidding. Three pics in and I was like, this is *kitten*. All of the pics were off by what seems to be a good 20lbs.

I always felt like I had the opposite of body dysmorophia, like I had too good an opinion of myself when things were actually going downhill... candid photos will disabuse you of a lot of notions though. These days (I'm pushing 40, I've had some time to figure it out) I want to be fit not thin, and that makes a huge difference in how I treat myself.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I saved that link (if we're talking about the same one) from this discussion: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1061178

But the link doesn't work anymore. :(

The original link doesn't work, but as I said upthread, it can still be accessed:
    This was driving me crazy, as I really liked that link. It turns out the site no longer has that feature, but I checked the Wayback Machine, and you can still actually take the test on the WB Machine's archived page: https://web.archive.org/web/20160330024156/marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758

Thank you!! Bookmarked. :smiley:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I see myself 10% bigger than I actually am. And it seems I'm a pear. But at the rate I'm losing my hips and not my bust... not sure how long that's gonna last. :tongue:

My brain just hasn't caught up to the reality is seems. Also doesn't help to see myself naked in a mirror... there's still far too many wobbly bits for me to be anywhere near slim and currently those wobbly bits seem to redistribute on a daily basis... :flushed:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It can take a while for our heads to catch up with how our new body looks...even for me approaching 4 years at goal and I still don't think of myself as slim. Its only now and again when people tell me 'you're lucky you're so slim' that I realise, yep, I am slim :smile: (I'm not lucky at all btw, I work darn hard to stay this way).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    It can take a while for our heads to catch up with how our new body looks...even for me approaching 4 years at goal and I still don't think of myself as slim. Its only now and again when people tell me 'you're lucky you're so slim' that I realise, yep, I am slim :smile: (I'm not lucky at all btw, I work darn hard to stay this way).

It's kinda reassuring to know it's somewhat normal. It's frustrating sometimes when what you logically know and what you 'see' in the mirror don't match up...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Being okay with the way I look I thought I would guess closer to reality.

yormvoon3fr2.png
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    dd0l0uxgedkl.png

Woah!
  • Julia_yulia
    Julia_yulia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hngoo4ekmchd.jpeg
    Woah :o
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I'm 3.5 sizes smaller than I think.

Sometimes I'm shocked when (similar height) people share their weight and I'm about 30 pounds heavier, yet they look heavier than I think I do. They're either not being truthful or their frame is much smaller than my own and I have a lot more muscle. The incongruency throws me for a loop.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I'm 3.5 sizes smaller than I think.

Sometimes I'm shocked when (similar height) people share their weight and I'm about 30 pounds heavier, yet they look heavier than I think I do. They're either not being truthful or their frame is much smaller than my own and I have a lot more muscle. The incongruency throws me for a loop.

That's what I said...tried to shorten the quote and messed it up pretty good!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    Options
    My inability to function right now is ridiculous :D
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Probably not exactly what you were looking for but found this:

http://bodyvisualizer.com

Wow that was actually really spot on for me

It was pretty close for me too.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    They are also making the "average" american think "average or acceptable" is a size 14 which for folks my height...5'6 and under is obese!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,988 Member
    Options
    They are also making the "average" american think "average or acceptable" is a size 14 which for folks my height...5'6 and under is obese!

This is so true. I was "average" for many years. But I was also overweight most of my adult life and obese for the last few years. Just because most people are overweight that doesn't make it healthy.