Nerd Alert!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• fitkyriel
    fitkyriel Posts: 29
    Options
    Pretty sure i have been a nerd since 1997. Thanks daddy for my new computer and internet and setting me up an MMO account at age 9 LOL

LOL!!!!! DUDE! I totally can relate. My freaking dad bought Everquest back in 2001 (this is when KUNARK was current!!) and thought my like 8 year old sister would play it. NOPE. I ended up getting the game and somehow he was totally cool with me dropping out of sports and staying up all night to play a game that was $10 a month at the time. I was level 5 for like 3-4 months because I just could not comprehend the game and time consumption haha. I was around 11-12 when I got into that. 10+ years later and I've just said my final good bye to World of Warcraft. I think my dad thought it would be ok cuz he played D&D as a kid and was thinking it was the same thing! =P

Haha yep, well I had some Total Annihilation game and played that through Mplayer (it changed its name to spy something.. the Mplayer today is NOT the same thing) and then EVERCRACK is where it really started with mmo's/computer addiction.... I played it on dial up because we couldn't get cable where we lived, lol.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I have been reaching for Nerdvana for many years. First computer was the TSR-80 with a tape cassette to load the games. SW, Treker (Picard better then Kirk), LOTR (read it more then 20 times), D&D, and of course PC gaming.

so I say of all of you : Get Your Geek On!!
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    Oh yeah I'm a total nerd...Dragon Ball Z for the win! lol
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Yeah I'm a self proclaimed nerd....geek. I have an affliction for video games....shooters are my favorite and hilarious role play titles like Fable are high on the list. I read a lot, some say too much but it's an addiction. I don't mind having movie marathons a few times a month. I enjoy all of the "obvious" geeky title like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings but I really enjoy ridiculously horrible "B' movies too. I always seem to be a few years too late on any new fashions but always ahead of the crowd with new tech things. :tongue: I actually enjoy learning new things, some qualify that as instant nerdiness. I enjoy photography and just recently have gotten interested in insect macro photography, creeps most people out.

And some of my friends really do live inside my computer! :tongue:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure i have been a nerd since 1997. Thanks daddy for my new computer and internet and setting me up an MMO account at age 9 LOL

LOL!!!!! DUDE! I totally can relate. My freaking dad bought Everquest back in 2001 (this is when KUNARK was current!!) and thought my like 8 year old sister would play it. NOPE. I ended up getting the game and somehow he was totally cool with me dropping out of sports and staying up all night to play a game that was $10 a month at the time. I was level 5 for like 3-4 months because I just could not comprehend the game and time consumption haha. I was around 11-12 when I got into that. 10+ years later and I've just said my final good bye to World of Warcraft. I think my dad thought it would be ok cuz he played D&D as a kid and was thinking it was the same thing! =P

Haha yep, well I had some Total Annihilation game and played that through Mplayer (it changed its name to spy something.. the Mplayer today is NOT the same thing) and then EVERCRACK is where it really started with mmo's/computer addiction.... I played it on dial up because we couldn't get cable where we lived, lol.

LOL Yes!!!! I played EQ on Dial up as well!! We had AOL then Netzero. That plus like 32MB of Ram! Hahaha. Oh and my 22 inch CRT moniter :D Sadly after Luclin came out I had to basically give up on raiding or moving because all the new models killed my computer. I actually have access to a private server that is very active that plays EQ1 up to Luclin then they delete it and start over. Super neat!

Omg, just totally remembered the Kwisatz Haderach! :P <3 that book series.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    well i got some friend request to do now lol
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    NERD here. I have every MST3K DVD available (and one that isn't anymore, tee hee). I go to watch they live shows that they do now, and because of this I have a piece of paper autographed by Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Weird Al. It is framed and displayed proudly beside my framed autograph from The Guild.

I'm an avid gamer. In my house there is an SNES, XBox 360, 2 Playstation 2s, and a Playstation 3. I recently started gaming on my PC, as well, and it's definitely standing in my way of working out.

I write movie reviews for mutantreviewers.wordpress.com and have become an even bigger movie nerd than I already was.

I missed out on Comic Con tickets, but I will be attending all the events going on downtown (I am so lucky to live in San Diego).

Nice to meet you other nerds!
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm getting old school here:

Watched the original Battlestar Gallactica when it was on the air in the 70s. My best friend and I used to say "Fraq" all of the time.

I spent most of my life reading books. My mom used to yell at me to go outside and play. SciFi and Fantasy are my material of choice, of course. Heinlein, Asimov, Piers Anthony, David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan... I could go on and on.

I've programmed in Basic, Basica, FORTRAN, PASCAL and COBOL. I'm now learning Java. I played Zork when it first came out.

80's movies are still the best. If you've never seen "Better Off Dead" or "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension", find them and watch them. You won't be disappointed!

I spent a good chunk of my 20s and early 30s playing text MUDs. I never got into the graphical online games. By then, I'd realized you can waste your life online. LOL

Spent 10 years working for AOL in software QA.

To get even more nerdy, here's a Venn Diagram I found awhile back that explains the differences between being a nerd, dork, geek or dweeb. It's better to be a "geek." LOL

http://www.greatwhitesnark.com/2010/03/25/difference-between-nerd-dork-and-geek-explained-in-a-venn-diagram/?utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+greatwhitesnark/yqzr+(Great+White+Snark)

I love better of dead!

Better off dead is one of my favorite movies of all time!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to someday give my husband a heart attack by finding and wearing Princess Leia's metal bikini. :D

Etsy.com has some. I have one for my Princess Leia outfit. :)
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    Teletoon retro is pretty awesome and yes, 80 movies are fantastic.
    Hells to the yeah Teletoon retro kicks *kitten*.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Come on natural 20. Papa needs a new Sword of Wounding?
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've read more than 80 Star Wars novels (I lost count), and I'm approaching my 60th Warhammer 40K novel...all the Warhammer ones I've read just since the beginning of this year (or February or March, I forgot). And I'm currently looking forward to spending my weekends watching the old '90s X-Men animated series streaming on Netflix for the next few months.

Beat that!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The ONLY Dr. Who is Tom Baker...need I say more. If you need to see more I can always put on my scarf.

You can't deny the allure of David Tennant, or the quirky hotness of Matt Smith...

ohh yeahhhh :love:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I'm familiar with the Star War novels but what are these Warhammer ones of which you speak? I feel like I've missed a rung on the nerd ladder or something! And high five on the x-men animated....I still am sad knowing I gave away all my X-men cards way back when.
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with the Star War novels but what are these Warhammer ones of which you speak? I feel like I've missed a rung on the nerd ladder or something! And high five on the x-men animated....I still am sad knowing I gave away all my X-men cards way back when.

You can see all the Warhammer 40K books here: http://www.spuler.us/40k/ They're based on a tabletop game developed in the UK, which I have never played, but I love the books. If you happen to live near DC, I'd be happy to lend you a couple to get you started :-)

And I think all my old X-Men and Marvel cards are still home back in FL hidden in a closet...maybe.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Given the popularity of this post I'd say that the nerd movement is alive and well on MFP!! Feel free to add me any nerds that want a nerd herd on here!!

My claim to nerdiness... I struggle to read anything other than sci-fi or fantasy and my hubby and I subscribe to New Scientist. We also own the entire series of Asimov books as well as a pretty healthy collection of everything else sci-fi. I'm not a Trekky but I live with one!!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nerd update, how about this one.

After reading and discussing WoW on here yesterday I actually had a WoW themed dream last night. I was my main (Undead Destruct/Afflic Warlock) and was running around a variation of Undercity trying to get quests to start the chain that would introduce me to Firelands (I quit a before firelands came out)... Too funny...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I'm lucky as all get out...I still have most of my cards and comics (and have the original '90's cartoons on DVD). I can't imagine not having them. What 'hurts' is that my brothers had original Star Wars action figures and they gave them away when they were in high school (I'm 10/11 years younger than they are)....I've looked up some of them and they are selling in the $100's. They were all prestine and in the original pacakges. I could kick my brothers butts! Lol.
    I have no idea who lives close to me...but is anyone going to Dragon*Con??? I go most every year...and in costume. I've been a bazillion different people it seems...this year I'm going as Elektra...if I can get my costume completed in time.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I'm lucky as all get out...I still have most of my cards and comics (and have the original '90's cartoons on DVD). I can't imagine not having them. What 'hurts' is that my brothers had original Star Wars action figures and they gave them away when they were in high school (I'm 10/11 years younger than they are)....I've looked up some of them and they are selling in the $100's. They were all prestine and in the original pacakges. I could kick my brothers butts! Lol.
    I have no idea who lives close to me...but is anyone going to Dragon*Con??? I go most every year...and in costume. I've been a bazillion different people it seems...this year I'm going as Elektra...if I can get my costume completed in time.

I got rid of a lot of my comics (except for a few favorites - Jean and Cyclop's wedding, for example...) and a lot of my cards, but still have some Xmen action figures in the basement - tucked safely away in my Xmen lunchbox. :)

Someone mentioned David Eddings - LOVE. The Belgariad & Mallorean, anyway...I haven't gotten into the others as much.