Is it okay to eat after 6pm

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    They say because you sleep soon.
    The metabolism doesn't 'sleep'. It works 24/7.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Okay fine, you all win. eat whenever you want. I'm just saying, from experience. I worked the night shift for years. Eating after work and going directly to bed after eating. I went from 200 to 300 pounds. Since retiring I keep "normal hours" and am down to 250 and have my blood sugar in control. I know this thread isn't about losing weight or diabetes, but about digestion. It's not about a sense of humor either, but at least I have one.

You weren't counting your calories then, you overate when you got home.

Now, you have a better idea of how many calories you're eating and are losing weight. If you saved 300 calories to eat right before bed, you wouldn't gain any weight eating them unless you went over maintenance every day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I eat till 11:30pm every night. Like forever. And I don't have a swing shift job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    What shift do you work and what time do you sleep? Are you a night owl, or an early riser? It's hard to digest while you are sleeping. IMEHO, don't eat for at least two hours before bed.

This is not true.

OK. I'm not a Nutritionist or Medical Doctor, but from my experience as a diabetic, if I eat after 6pm my blood sugar is way higher in the am. Chef Barbell; I'm sure you are smarter than me, but I'd like to see your evidence. I'm innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proof is on you.

That would indicate that your body did, in fact, digest your food well.

That makes sense. and turned the food into pure sugar.

Wait, what? Waste is pure sugar now? I'm really confused.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    What shift do you work and what time do you sleep? Are you a night owl, or an early riser? It's hard to digest while you are sleeping. IMEHO, don't eat for at least two hours before bed.

This is not true.

OK. I'm not a Nutritionist or Medical Doctor, but from my experience as a diabetic, if I eat after 6pm my blood sugar is way higher in the am. Chef Barbell; I'm sure you are smarter than me, but I'd like to see your evidence. I'm innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proof is on you.

In for sugar waste.
  • Alatariel75

This is not true.

In for sugar waste.

I can think of so many really, really wrong comments now haha...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I practiced not eating after 6pm for about 10 months . Only for one reason, my intestines filled my colostomy bag up very quickly while I slept and I would have to wake up to empty it in middle of night. It's really not that hard to digest.

@Chieflrg I don't have one yet but I'm probably getting a temp ileostomy sometime in the near future. As someone with Crohn's who has been woken up in their sleep basically every hour to run to the bathroom when flaring I can attest to the fact that yes indeed you digest all the time.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    I eat a bedtime snack every night as I'm crawling into bed. It's never been a problem for me!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I practiced not eating after 6pm for about 10 months . Only for one reason, my intestines filled my colostomy bag up very quickly while I slept and I would have to wake up to empty it in middle of night. It's really not that hard to digest.

@Chieflrg I don't have one yet but I'm probably getting a temp ileostomy sometime in the near future. As someone with Crohn's who has been woken up in their sleep basically every hour to run to the bathroom when flaring I can attest to the fact that yes indeed you digest all the time.

That is what I had and was lucky enough to have it reversed. Trust me, you're in for a treat The smell is 20 times worse than any dog fart. Hope things go well :).

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

That is what I had and was lucky enough to have it reversed. Trust me, you're in for a treat The smell is 20 times worse than any dog fart. Hope things go well :).

Thanks. I have multiple longstanding fistulas and I am willing to do anything to get rid of them. There are other surgical options but since I've had them for a long time and they are complicated and did not respond to the one med that supposedly heals them I'm desperate to get my life back!!!!!!! I hate those things with a passion and can't see myself continuing to live much longer the way I have been. Even if they decide not to do that I know it is inevitable that I will have to have my colon and rectum out because of my Crohn's.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    I literally eat late night snacks at midnight every night haha

You will be fine eat whenever you want
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    10 PM and I'm eating cake before I go to bed
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    OMG! Let's pick on the old guy. Trump will make you all be "normal". "sarcasm"

Sir, they are not picking on you. They are seeking to help you understand what was the causal force behind you putting your weight on. It was not meal timing. There are many many studies on meal timing all of which show the same thing, if calories are kept the same, how often or when you eat makes no difference in terms of weight loss. It may make a difference in terms of sticking to your calorie allowance, but if you stick to your calorie goal, you will lose weight at the same rate not matter when you eat.

In your particular case, your diabetes means you need to look not simply at losing weight, but at how to control your blood sugar. That stinks, but it is not something people who are not diabetic have to worry about.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

I just had pizza. I still have a bunch of calories left, so I will likely have at least a snack still.
  • rps2595
    rps2595 Posts: 7 Member
    It is ok to, but I prefer not to.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    They say because you sleep soon.

What time do you go to bed? 6pm is really early. The time is 11:41pm as I type this, and I would be really hungry if my last meal was more than 5 hours ago.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Praline peanuts here! Off to bed within the next 30 minutes. Debating a mint oreo ice cream sandwich too!
  • topfindyourfine
    topfindyourfine Posts: 14 Member
    It is okay as long as you don't sleep directly after being full.
  • Alatariel75
    It is okay as long as you don't sleep directly after being full.

Why not?