Sitting rising test. I can't. Can you?

Options

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    This is *kitten*.. I was super fat yet still I did this when sitting on the floor with the kids and standing up.. This is something I've done all my life and is no indicator of fitness.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can do this easily, have always been bendy--flexy--strong....but I doubt that ability negates the 23 years that I smoked cigarettes for......

Edited to add that I quit poisoning myself 11.5 years ago B)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I get that falls are a considerable danger for the elderly. But considering the most common causes of death, how does a test that relies on your leg strength, balance, and flexibility predict your likelihood of heart attack, stroke, and cancer in the next 6 years? Confessions - I struggled to get up. And I was too lazy to read the linked study,

A Canadian study found a correlation between the inability to do sit ups and an increased mortality risk:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11984288
    So putting together the Brazilian and the Canadian results, it seems that is not the flexibility, but the core strength that matters.
    Independently from the alleged precision of the test, I don't find so outrageous the idea that if you are weak you are also more likely to die earlier.

Oh, I can do sit ups like a boss and hold at least a two minute plank.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I posted earlier I could do it ( with restrictions). That was mid afternoon after yoga.
    This evening, after sharing a couple of bottles of wine- I fell over giggling (we all did). Oh well.
    A good geriatric drinking game?

Cheers, h.

I love the idea of playing it as a drinking game and watching the scores lower as the evening progresses.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    This is the one stupid human trick I can do. Who cares that I'm only squatting the bar right now if I can sit down and stand up without using my hands? :D
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can do it. I knew I was gonna live forever.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Can't do 'em but I don't expect to die because of it. ;)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I did not even know this was a thing. I have a kundalini yoga DVD where you are supposed to do this a whole bunch of times in a row and I always just did it (I'm not as fast as the demonstrator but I can do about 8 while she does 10 or 11). I have to cross my legs like that to get up again when I do deck squats with a kettlebell, too.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I barely lived to the end of this video
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I got comfortable, took off my shoes, I was totally relaxed while listening to his monotone voice.

I'm living forever!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I can get through step 1, kinda... there is a certain point (maybe 2-4 inches from the floor) where I drop. And then I can't get up again without help. Once I get past that same point, I'm fine. So I guess I would say 9 because I use my arm on to push off on the way up.
  • 65percentsolution
    65percentsolution Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Is there any truth in this being a good test of "fitness"

Maybe, but it does not take into account if your knees were damaged. At all. The test seems to assume that if you damaged your knees at some point, you're going to die. Which is possibly true, since because I still can't walk far after the accident (of 14 years ago), it'll take me longer to dodge the next car that tries to kill me. Again.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can go down but can't get back up. So maybe that's how it shortens your life. Basically you die of starvation on the floor.
    Oh,and it hurt my back. Not recommended if you have lower back problems :neutral:
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I can do it. Nice knowing you all. See you in the next life!
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I can do it while holding my kids. I must be gonna live forever.
  • snubbyfan
    snubbyfan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble just sitting like that.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I am dead already. I couldn't even sit down on the floor properly never mind getting up!
  • Laura_Jean_76
    Laura_Jean_76 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    not with my ankle, might break it again
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    I can do it... But once I sprained an ankle trying to show my skillz off. Lol
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    can't seem to get up without one big push, is that 9? I don't think so.