Disappointed in MFP people

Options

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that someone who can't even be bothered to type "what is bump" in a google search would actually read this email and/or FAQ?

If they think it's a term specific to MFP, they wouldn't really have a reason to think to google it. I never would have thought to 'google' NSV or look there to try to figure out how to post a photo. It was months before I had time to play on here enough to discover the 'search' feature. I started just with logging food and moved foward slowly. I'm sure I'm not alone.

If they get a welcome e-mail with info and then don't bother to read it ... and get rather unpleasant replies as a result, well, then it's on them.

I know I would have found such an e-mail very useful. I just thought others might as well.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    I agree with what you're saying. Who cares if something gets posted 20,000 times? Everyone has a right to ask a question, stupid or not! If you don't want to read or answer it, or even be nice, don't say anything at all! Keep the peace. :flowerforyou:
  • lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you don’t want to read it, don’t open it
    If you don’t want to see it, turn the TV off…

Some people on MFP, just like in life, would prefer to complain about things than take an adult step and be accountable for their own life and simply choose NOT to allow whatever is annoying/offending them into their lives.
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    I have always thought that MFP was an awesome site and that everyone on here was so motivated to help others with their journies, but you know what I've discovered on here by reading a few forums? People on here are so freaking judgemental and rude...a lot of people are new to this site and a lot of people are going to have "stupid" questions or questions that have been asked before many times. But you know what? It's not that easy for most people to start a brand new lifestyle so they come here looking for support and what do they get? RUDE and JUDGEMENTAL people just the opposite of what they are looking for...so a touch of advice...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE OR POSITIVE TO SAY THAT KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    Some are desperate for attention. And they are obviously getting what they want. Roll your eyes & ignore!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Some people on MFP, just like in life, would prefer to complain about things than take an adult step and be accountable for their own life and simply choose NOT to allow whatever is annoying/offending them into their lives.

Like rude people on mfp?? :laugh:
  • sunshinemonkey
    Options
    not sure if this is the same for everyone but i think its exciting when you post something and get a response.......especially if you are new
  • sunshinemonkey
    Options
    not sure if this is the same for everyone but i think its exciting when you post something and get a response.......especially if you are new
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    There is a search feature. Newbs need to use it.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here here, one of my mfp pals posted a great motivational blog yesterday and all she got back was attitude!!! i love using this site and have great mfp friends though!
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    This is precisely why I deleted my "friends" and am keeping to myself. I also am really grossed out by how personal and revealing people are....oh, and the awesomely tanned egomaniac. I am actually looking for a more intelligent site.

I can understand this- I've seen a lot of threads where people have posted things like 'Oh yeah I tell my friends off for blah blah blah' I'm just like... REALLY? My friends are awesome and very supportive and friendly. I know you said you keep to yourself, but feel free to add me if you change your mind- I think I'm highly intelligent hahah ;D
  • vidalia222
    vidalia222 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think it goes with the territory when you venture on to message boards and forums. I have yet to find one that is totally without people I would go out of my way to avoid in 'real life' although I suspect the vast majority of people are far less rude when confronted by real people rather than the sense of confidence that comes from the anonimity of sitting behind a screen and being an internet warrior. The rudest forum I have ever been on, believe it or not, was a knitting one - although it was funny at first I eventually had to leave because it got so rude.

Most of the time I just ignore the over the top people though, if they can't deal with life other than by belittling people that's their problem, not mine.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is huge site now and a percentage are likely to be rude just as in life , just don't forget about the thousands more nice people on here who are all striving for the same goal just like myself!
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Options
    I think there also may be an issue of communication styles and even perhaps age going on here.

Communication styles because some people prefer to have actual, semi-live conversations with other people rather than digging in an archive.

Age because many people grew up before google and such, and are used to talking to other people when looking for advice and feedback.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    wow, i've been checking this message board for about 3 weeks now on a mostly daily baisis and it makes me sick now courteous and nice everyone is?

phew ... you want to get your feelings hurt try going to a football team messge board, freaking out of control mean.

oh well ...

Or a gamer website. My god. Ask a question and 99% of the time you get "STFU NOOB"

I third this. Go spend a day at somethingawful and come back and tell me these forums aren't loaded with treacle.

How about everyone just stop being so sensi and remember that these r them internets.

Yeah, this is definitely a respectful, courteous site in the whole scheme of things. I was on WW and those ladies (mostly) are vicious!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this topic. It needed to be said!
    I completely agree! People are on here for help, not to be ridiculed. The site was very confusing for me when I first joined, and i had to figure it out myself, i still have questions that come up.
    If you cant help, and be thoughtful and caring then: "SHUTTIE!!"
    :-)
    bye
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think, for perspective, this forum is extremely and I mean EXTREMELY well-mannered compared to the majority of health and fitness forums.

If you want tough love and enjoy a good forum argument, I strongly recommend you go dig around Lyle McDonald's body recomp site, bodybuilding.com, or the Watch&Woot section of SomethingAwful.

Then you'll understand exactly why I say that.

However, on the other hand, those forums may be harsh in some areas, but you're going to get a lot more straight-up answers on them. However sarcastic people may seem, they will give you (mostly good) advice, take it or leave it. Posters on other forums can earn "rep" points and get banned more easily for sh*tposting. There should be a rep system on this forum (SUGGESTION) to weed out sh*tposts, trolls, and spammers.

If I seem like a jerk on here (and I am sometimes), consider that I'm mild-mannered on the other forums I post in. I really don't want to see people getting crap advice on what to do with their health.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is definitely a respectful, courteous site in the whole scheme of things. I was on WW and those ladies (mostly) are vicious!

word!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree all the way!!