Opinions on diet soda

Options
Curious what people have to say about diet soda. I have heard its great for people trying to lower their sugar, but I have also heard its really bad for you. Anyone have any information on this?

Replies

• Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Soda in general is bad for you because the acids in it wreck havoc on your teeth. But if you really can't cut it out of your diet without feeling deprived then it's a great alternative to regular soda. Just be careful about how much you drink because too much artificial sugar is really bad for you
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Try A&W 10 diet root beer, it is amazeballs! If you want something sweet but have no calories left, it's perfect!
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I try to avoid them. Whenever I'm craving it, I carbonate some water add some ice and little bit of lemon or lime juice. It tastes amazing and at the same time I'm avoiding all the sugars (or aspartame).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Diet soda = good. :)

Thirst quenching and hits the spot when I want something that taste a bit sweet and cold.

I go to rooibos tea when I want something 0 cal, sweet and hot.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Diet soda tastes like death and sadness.

But it's not harmful and if you can get past the awful, awful taste, it can be a great replacement for higher calorie beverages.
  • Icrizz
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Icrizz wrote: »
    Soda in general is bad for you because the acids in it wreck havoc on your teeth. But if you really can't cut it out of your diet without feeling deprived then it's a great alternative to regular soda. Just be careful about how much you drink because too much artificial sugar is really bad for you

Nope!

The acid eats away the enamel on your teeth which can never be replaced. Technically speaking, anything with a lot of acid is bad for you.

• Icrizz
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No, it's not.

Too much of anything is bad for you. You can't argue that. Even too many vitamins can make you sick.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

But it's not harmful and if you can get past the awful, awful taste, it can be a great replacement for higher calorie beverages.

It seriously depends on personal taste as well as which ones you've tried.

Diet Coke tastes like crap, yet Coke Zero tastes almost identical to the real thing. Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale was tops until they changed the formula, I find the generic stuff to be delicious. Diet Barq's Root Beer is superb.

Not all diet sodas have that "diet taste".
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it tastes gross. But if you like it it won't hurt your diet and it might help you stay at your deficit.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

It seriously depends on personal taste as well as which ones you've tried.

Diet Coke tastes like crap, yet Coke Zero tastes almost identical to the real thing. Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale was tops until they changed the formula, I find the generic stuff to be delicious. Diet Barq's Root Beer is superb.

Not all diet sodas have that "diet taste".

I'm glad you've found artificial sweeteners that don't taste chemical-y to you (I really am, no snark). But I have yet to find anything that doesn't taste like a cat puked up a meth lab :D. Hypersensitive taste buds perhaps, lol. I'll stick with unsweetened teas or coffe with cream for my non-water, non-alcohol beverages. But enjoy! Certainly no harm in diet sodas!

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope!

The acid eats away the enamel on your teeth which can never be replaced. Technically speaking, anything with a lot of acid is bad for you.

This is true. The citric acid in soda and juice is not good for teeth. If you have problems with blood pressure or water retention the sodium isn't helpful either. But if you already drink regular soda switching to diet is a good way to reduce calories and carbohydrates if you watch those. I mean, if you can stand the taste. I personally prefer an occasional regular soda because I can't stand the flavor of artificial sweeteners. I don't think they are harmful, just not worth the zero calories tastewise.