Porridge! Oats, oatmeal, grits...

tanny684
tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
Whatever you want to call it, porridge is amazing! If I eat another bowl of oats I fear I may become one....but I will take that risk because it is so yummy!

It's made such a difference to my eating habits. I start each day with a bowl of organic porridge oats with lacto free skimmed milk or almond/rice milk, a tsp of organic raw honey, and then blueberries, or banana, any fruit, cinnamon, nuts. It's so delicious, super filling, keeps my energy levels up, and sets me up for the day.

Sorry I know that was random but on a porridge and caffeine buzz lol and thought I would declare my porridge love to the world! ;-)

Replies

• Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Oh I'm right there with you! I freaking love oatmeal! My favorite is making egg white oats with sugar free syrup, a tablespoon of peanut butter & some almond milk.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    I never cared much about oatmeal, but grits are bae.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I love grits.. <3

I tried to rekindle my childhood by eating oatmeal again, me and my husband's faces trying to eat this after many years is priceless.. :#
  • tanny684
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    Oh I'm right there with you! I freaking love oatmeal! My favorite is making egg white oats with sugar free syrup, a tablespoon of peanut butter & some almond milk.
    This sounds awesome I am deffo gonna try this!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Per my doc, I need to go on a low cholesterol diet so I see a lot of oatmeal in my future.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I really, really, wish that I actually found oatmeal filling (and I only like it with 200-300 calories of random toppings, usually).

I love grits with cheese though!
  • tanny684
    Per my doc, I need to go on a low cholesterol diet so I see a lot of oatmeal in my future.

It's gorgeous with low fat milk and honey, tastes like pudding!
  • tanny684
    Eating oatmeal is like after-sex conversation. Very dull.

Haha spice it up! Much like in the bedroom ha can introduce other food!!
  • tanny684
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I love grits.. <3

I tried to rekindle my childhood by eating oatmeal again, me and my husband's faces trying to eat this after many years is priceless.. :#

Hahahaha
  • tanny684
    km8907 wrote: »

I'm English and have to admit I don't really understand the difference ! Porridge it oatmeal I think, as in oats. I thought grits were oats?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited December 2016
    tanny684 wrote: »

I'm English and have to admit I don't really understand the difference ! Porridge it oatmeal I think, as in oats. I thought grits were oats?

Grits are made from ground corn..
  • tanny684
    Well, I get my steel cut oatmeal from stores like whole foods or balducci (places where American aristocrats shop) and then to make it edible, I add ghee, cardamoms and raisins.

Adding ghee is like adding full fat cream or butter ! Ha it's not gonna be healthy :)
  • km8907

Yeah grits are coarsely ground corn kernels. Boil till soft, add butter and salt to taste. Or you can add cheese, shrimp, sausage etc.
  • tanny684

Yeah grits are coarsely ground corn kernels. Boil till soft, add butter and salt to taste. Or you can add cheese, shrimp, sausage etc.

Like mushed sweet corn? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited December 2016

Grits are cooked, ground corn meal...

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOI8j_vLUXjfPbk43bRkQrhHMJJrNtWPUeDVXg_iKGgoCyjPxQ

You would generally use a more coarse grind for grits and a medium grind for something like corn bread...

It's basically the same thing as polenta.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I'm a southern girl and I LOVE my grits especially with cheese! Oatmeal I eat because it's filling, but it's not my fav.
  • tanny684
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

You would generally use a more coarse grind for grits and a medium grind for something like corn bread...

Oh my.....

Please don't take offence anyone but grits look awful! Maybe they taste better than they look....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    You want a nutrition powerhouse? Grind up some lentils and cook them like grits...
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    I also love lentils. Oatmeal wise, Steel cut oats are my favourite.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Low Country Shrimp and Grits is one of the best things you'll ever eat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/shrimp-and-grits-recipe.html#!

• km8907

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

Oh my.....

Please don't take offence anyone but grits look awful! Maybe they taste better than they look....

I don't see how they look much different than porridge, besides the color. They're flavorless, you have to add the flavor so there's infinite possibilities. Some people can't get past the texture though.
  • RoxieDawn
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You want a nutrition powerhouse? Grind up some lentils and cook them like grits...

never thought about that..
  • km8907

That's sacrilegious...
  • tanny684

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

Oh my.....

I don't see how they look much different than porridge, besides the color. They're flavorless, you have to add the flavor so there's infinite possibilities. Some people can't get past the texture though.

I think that's what put me off, the texture. I can't eat tomatoes cos they're slimy. Although I can eat lentil Dahl with roti. I'm weird lol
  • km8907

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

Oh my.....

I have had grits. It tastes like sheet. Worse than oatmeal. They are staple they serve in prison. I have no idea how people eat that... but we live in a world where people think a basic latte is special. So..

They didn't make it right then.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2016

That's sacrilegious...

Saw it on Chopped one time. Decided to try it. Very similar to grits (although it usually has 2 runny eggs mixed it) but with a buttload of nutrition. Don't get me wrong, it's not grits but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That being said, I had eggs and grits this morning.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2016

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

Oh my.....

They don't have much flavor by themselves...if you're going to eat them on their own you need butter and cheese . Otherwise, things like shrimp or I particularly like them with shortribs and gravy...also, some people make them with just water...they're terrible...you have to use some milk or cream to give them that rich and creamy texture.

shrimp-grits-horiz-a-1200.jpg

img6.jpg?w=760

It probably depends on where you are in the US...in some places, it's a breakfast food...I tend to think of it more as a side dish like mashed potatoes or something that you would have for dinner. Many Northern Italians eat it in lieu of pasta (in their case it's called Polenta...but it's pretty much the same thing).

• km8907
    edited December 2016

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

Oh my.....

I have had grits. It tastes like sheet. Worse than oatmeal. They are staple they serve in prison. I have no idea how people eat that... but we live in a world where people think a basic latte is special. So..

They didn't make it right then.
    Then perhaps you should share your recipe.

You can cook them on the stove top, 4 cups of water, one cup of grits for 20-25 minutes but I usually microwave them because it's quicker. 4-5 tablespoons of grits per cup of water, large bowl, tablespoon of butter, salt. Microwave for 5 minutes. When it's done, add butter and salt to taste. That's basic. For dinner you can add shrimp, cheese and sausage, along with cornbread and it's beautiful.

8ymqeqonz05x.jpg
  • cwolfman13

I might have to try that...I love lentils. Eating lentils right now...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I have oatmeal almost every morning, with a pad of butter and a little brown sugar. I mix it up for grits or Cream of Wheat too.