Couch to 5k

Options
Hey all!

I'm in week 5 of the couch to 5k. Any one else at or around this point? It's kicking my butt!! I can make it through the first half but then die on the second. Any tips? I'm thinking of doing the week twice before moving on (week 6 looks even more intense!). Has this worked for any of you?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Slow down. That's always my suggestion :) Even if you feel like you are already running slowly, slow down.

This. Work on speed later.

Repeat the weeks if you need to but a lot of it is mental. Slow down and just keep going! :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    no harm in repeating weeks

i never did C25K, but I do run/walk intervals in all my runs
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5 on Saturday. The day 3, 20 minute run was very intimidating to me, but I made it. Most everyone will tell you to run slow and to run slower than your current slow running. They are right. Pacing is hugely important as you develop stamina. Speed will come
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Do you know what they call impatient runners? INJURED. There's a difference between pushing yourself and inviting injury. Unfortunately, you won't know you've crossed the line until it's too late.
  • ceridavies1991
    ceridavies1991 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am doing couch to 10k. I'm on week one at the moment says I should run 3 times a week. Should I be sticking to that or can i do more without risk of injury?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I am doing couch to 10k. I'm on week one at the moment says I should run 3 times a week. Should I be sticking to that or can i do more without risk of injury?

Stick to the recommended 3x unless you want to risk injury. That's the reason for the recommendation. It's virtually universal unless you are a highly advanced runner.
  • mydustyroad
    mydustyroad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Correction: I'm on week 4! Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah I think slowing down is the right thing to do. I'd rather try that first then repeat weeks. I've done this program a few times but never actually finished it. I'm determined this time to see it through.
  • mydustyroad
    Options

Stick to the 3 days and then do strength training other days. I've been looking up body weight exercises for runners to start incorporating into my schedule. there's a ton of info out there!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Correction: I'm on week 4! Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah I think slowing down is the right thing to do. I'd rather try that first then repeat weeks. I've done this program a few times but never actually finished it. I'm determined this time to see it through.

when I did c25k I realised that I'd never complete the programme if I repeated weeks, and when I learnt that the best thing to do was slow down it was an eye opener. In fact, taking it slow the further you go seems to be the general thing - so a 5k race will be done at a much faster pace than a 50k ultra.
  • mydustyroad
    Options
    I did it! I took your advice and slowed way down. Made it through all the of intervals!! Counting it as day 1 for the set since I didn't make it through on the other runs.... those were just my warm ups. ;-) Thanks for the help, everyone!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    So everyone agrees on slowing down for C25K. The thought I like to share for anyone on the program is 'if you can run any slower you are running too fast'. Keep up the good work those of you new to running.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I just finished week 5 on Saturday. The day 3, 20 minute run was very intimidating to me, but I made it. Most everyone will tell you to run slow and to run slower than your current slow running. They are right. Pacing is hugely important as you develop stamina. Speed will come

Once I completed the 20 min run, I actually felt like a "runner". I didn't feel the need for all the walking intervals and was able to pace myself for longer runs. Keep it up!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The 20 mins continuous is scary psychologically, but if you've been following the program and keep it slow then you'll surprise yourself :)

Echo what everyone else says about slowing down. My running pace during the first week was ridiculous, like 5 min/km. My race pace now is nowhere near that fast.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...or can i do more without risk of injury?

It's inadvisable. The most common source of injury in new runners is too much, too soon
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    So everyone agrees on slowing down for C25K. The thought I like to share for anyone on the program is 'if you can run any slower you are running too fast'. Keep up the good work those of you new to running.

Just a query....how slow do you have to go so it changes from running to speed walking?

I've recently got over a bad case of man flu and its really knocked my ability. Yesterday I managed 3 miles but it took me 40 mins. Is that running or fast walking!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    your speed is your speed. as long as your making the running motion it wouldn't matter if it took you an hour.

Personally I'm a c25k dropout. I finished week5 and realized it was all in my head. I moved onto longer and longer runs along with the ocasional speed day mixed in.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »

Just a query....how slow do you have to go so it changes from running to speed walking?

I've recently got over a bad case of man flu and its really knocked my ability. Yesterday I managed 3 miles but it took me 40 mins. Is that running or fast walking!

I think it's more a matter of form. To me, it's running it you have only one foot on the ground at a time...

True, a good speed walker will pass me by at my current running pace, but I'm cool with that :-)
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Careful here. When I hear the words pacing and stamina, I think it implies one's ability to run for long distances. However, the advice to slow down is not really about using pacing to develop stamina in that sense. It's about injury. Running while overweight is incredibly (some might even say prohibitively) dangerous, and the primary focus should be ALL about avoiding injury while your body gets stronger and lighter.

End of speech.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »

I think it's more a matter of form. To me, it's running it you have only one foot on the ground at a time...

True, a good speed walker will pass me by at my current running pace, but I'm cool with that :-)

technically I believe running is having BOTH feet off the ground at one time. Anything else is walking. (this from a past thread about it).