Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I just finished week 5 on Saturday. The day 3, 20 minute run was very intimidating to me, but I made it. Most everyone will tell you to run slow and to run slower than your current slow running. They are right. Pacing is hugely important as you develop stamina. Speed will come

Careful here. When I hear the words pacing and stamina, I think it implies one's ability to run for long distances. However, the advice to slow down is not really about using pacing to develop stamina in that sense.

It largely is. The point of running more slowly if that it helps condition the aerobic system. Encouraging the development of the aerobic system allows one to run for longer.

Injury prevention is a combination of improving stamina, avoiding overdoing it. In terms of distance, pace or time and doing some complimentary training such as cycling, resistance training, swimming, rowing etc.
    Running while overweight is incredibly (some might even say prohibitively) dangerous,

Umm, not really.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 3, week 4 will start this Friday - am intimidated but I've done it in the past so I know I'll be OK :)
  • dknisle1
    dknisle1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a c25k dropout. I finished week5 and realized it was all in my head. I moved onto longer and longer runs along with the ocasional speed day mixed in. [/quote]
    this. Me too. I was on the week where the runs went from 8 minutes to 20 minutes. I gave up and just went on a run every other day. Just did 3 miles yesterday without stopping. Avg 10 min pace. It's a mental game.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm just about done with C25K. I am 52 years old and was totally out of shape. I am on Week 8 and just finished Day 2 last night, which, for the first time, I had to do on the treadmill because the weather was so bad. I never thought I could do it. Personally, I think the app is not "gradual" enough in some cases and jumps to the next level without easing into it. But I made up my mind that I would try it and if I couldn't do it, I would just do that day over and over until I got it. So far, I have not had to repeat a day, but every day has been a struggle. I want to get to a point where when I am jogging that I am actually enjoying it and feeling energized. Right now, the last 5 minutes are hell for me!
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I just finished week 5 on Saturday. The day 3, 20 minute run was very intimidating to me, but I made it. Most everyone will tell you to run slow and to run slower than your current slow running. They are right. Pacing is hugely important as you develop stamina. Speed will come

Careful here. When I hear the words pacing and stamina, I think it implies one's ability to run for long distances. However, the advice to slow down is not really about using pacing to develop stamina in that sense.

It largely is. The point of running more slowly if that it helps condition the aerobic system. Encouraging the development of the aerobic system allows one to run for longer.

Injury prevention is a combination of improving stamina, avoiding overdoing it. In terms of distance, pace or time and doing some complimentary training such as cycling, resistance training, swimming, rowing etc.
    Running while overweight is incredibly (some might even say prohibitively) dangerous,

Umm, not really.

Yes. It really is.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Yes. It really is.

Prohibitively dangerous?

That is absolute nonsense.

It's not easy, and that's one of the issues. People don't allow time to condition, but it's not inherently dangerous. At least no more so that crossing the road.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 years old.

I started the C25K about 4 to 5 months ago. I altered it to fit my level, and instead of going by x number of minutes running and x number of minutes walking, I just started adding run intervals into my power walks, and slowly increased the run intervals. I kept the run intervals at a very slow pace.

I can run 5 miles now.

The reason most people get injuries is because the heart and lungs develop much faster than the muscles, joints, and bones. People feel like they can pick up the pace because their heart and lungs feel better. So they pick up the pace, and because the muscles joints, and bones have not progressed as fast as the heart and lungs, they wind up with an injury.

Running is a very safe way to get a great cardio, but you should do it properly to avoid injuries.

If done properly, it can actually improve joint/bone health.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes. It really is.

Prohibitively dangerous?

It's not easy, and that's one of the issues. People don't allow time to condition, but it's not inherently dangerous. At least no more so that crossing the road.

I agree. When I started C25K I had a BMI of about 34 and managed fine by keeping my pace slow and taking rest days. It's important to react to niggles to ensure you don't get any long term injuries but it's inevitable there will be some issues with knee, calf, foot or shin pain at the start (I had them all to one extent or another so occasionally took additional rest days to recover). Now I'm still overweight (BMI about 28) and usually run 3 or 4 times a week at distances up to 10 miles and suspect that I have significantly less risk of serious issue now than I did when I was obese and didn't do any exercise.
  • JamestheLiar
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    Yes. It really is.

Prohibitively dangerous?

I agree. When I started C25K I had a BMI of about 34 and managed fine by keeping my pace slow and taking rest days. It's important to react to niggles to ensure you don't get any long term injuries but it's inevitable there will be some issues with knee, calf, foot or shin pain at the start (I had them all to one extent or another so occasionally took additional rest days to recover). Now I'm still overweight (BMI about 28) and usually run 3 or 4 times a week at distances up to 10 miles and suspect that I have significantly less risk of serious issue now than I did when I was obese and didn't do any exercise.

Running is a fine form of exercise. A calorie furnace, for crying out loud. However, for overweight people it is dangerous, and precautions must be taken to avoid injury. The more weight one carries, the more dangerous it becomes. In fact, I think that any activity with inevitable injuries to the knee, calf, foot, or shin is, by definition, dangerous. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that we're even debating this point ... it's why I love MFP forums.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Running is a fine form of exercise. A calorie furnace, for crying out loud. However, for overweight people it is dangerous, and precautions must be taken to avoid injury. The more weight one carries, the more dangerous it becomes. In fact, I think that any activity with inevitable injuries to the knee, calf, foot, or shin is, by definition, dangerous. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that we're even debating this point ... it's why I love MFP forums.

I said it was inevitable there would be some pain, not that it would be inevitable there would be injuries.

I can understand that if you're the sort of person that gets scared of their own shadow then you might find running "dangerous" however you'd also probably so scared to get out of your bed in the morning...
  • JamestheLiar
    Options
    Am I on candid camera? You guys!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ...for overweight people it is dangerous...

Perhaps we have completely different definitions of dangerous...

About 18 months ago I was marshalling a marathon where the last but one runner was about 18 stone (250lbs). He wasn't having a fun time, it was brutally hard work for him, but it wasn't dangerous.