If you stop drinking Diet soda will you lose more weight?

Options
I am sooooo addicted to Diet Soda. But I really need to get rid of this extra weight. So if it helps me to lose more weight I would really try to get rid of it. What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I drink some diet soda every single day. I had no problem (well, none beyond the usual stuff) losing 25 pounds a year ago. I've also had no problem (beyond the usual) keeping it off.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it for yourself and find out? I've gone through periods where I don't drink it. I've never seen a change to my weight loss when I stop or start back up again, personally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, it won't matter. If losing weight is your priority I'd focus on things that contribute calories and putting together a way of eating that leads to a calorie deficit. If you think you overdo diet soda that might be something to tackle later.

(I was drinking too much coffee (black, so basically like diet soda in that it's not adding calories) when I started losing weight and decided that giving that up when cutting calories would make it harder on myself than it needed to be. I dealt with it once I was well on the weight loss path and felt really comfortable with how I was eating.)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The diet soda makes absolutely no difference to your weight. It has no calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that would make a difference OP? I'm genuinely interested in where people get this information about diet soda?
  • sheilafaye777
    sheilafaye777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=diet+soda+and+weight+gain

If you like the bubble factor of soda, try flavored seltzer (Polar has the best flavors IMO) it has no added sweeteners, sodium, anything... just carbonated water and natural flavor.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rpsetser2 wrote: »
    This is a loaded question. But, all other things being unchanged, dropping diet soft drinks will NOT make you lose any weight. However, there are those (like myself) that believe that diet drinks can be just as addictive as regular drinks, due to the chemicals that are used to replace the sugar (corn syrup) in other drinks. So, I would look at giving up soft drinks ALL TOGETHER, not just cutting out diet OR regular. I only drink coffee (black), water, and unsweetened tea. Occasionally, I will have a beer or 3 if I'm out with friends, and I don't do it often enough to warrant drinking low-calorie, or low-carb beers. I just drink the normal beers, because like I said, I only drink maybe 2-3 a month.

Yes, they both can be addictive because caffeine. Not sure how black coffee will help that though...

While caffeine can be addictive, a cup of black coffee is not even in the same ball park as soft drinks where health benefits/drawbacks are concerned.
    rpsetser2 wrote: »
    This is a loaded question. But, all other things being unchanged, dropping diet soft drinks will NOT make you lose any weight. However, there are those (like myself) that believe that diet drinks can be just as addictive as regular drinks, due to the chemicals that are used to replace the sugar (corn syrup) in other drinks. So, I would look at giving up soft drinks ALL TOGETHER, not just cutting out diet OR regular. I only drink coffee (black), water, and unsweetened tea. Occasionally, I will have a beer or 3 if I'm out with friends, and I don't do it often enough to warrant drinking low-calorie, or low-carb beers. I just drink the normal beers, because like I said, I only drink maybe 2-3 a month.

Giving up soft drinks altogether due to their potentially addictive nature, but continuing to drink coffee and beer. I don't know . . .

I drink 10 oz of coffee in the morning before my workout for a little kick (it is 4:30 after all). Drinking 2-3 beers over a 30 day period hardly qualifies as being a "beer drinker."