Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Berry_EG wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.

I used this website https://tdeecalculator.net

I used the same one. With your estimates that you walk to and from class, ie 50 minutes/day, you shouldn't be selecting sedentary. That is equivalent to exercise - and therefore, your TDEE is likely at least 1500.

You need to start with the basics - have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?
    Try reading through these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Especially this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Go with the 1200 cals that MFP gave you. Log all the foods you eat, ideally using a food scale for accuracy. Continue with your current activity and on days you do go to the gym or do some intentional exercise, eat some of those back. I think you are going to lose 0.5 lb/week and be at your goal in 15 or so weeks... that is assuming that your goal is a healthy one. 92 lbs is pretty low, maybe even underweight for your height? Are you looking for a number on a scale or a certain body aesthetic, because you may get the results you're looking for by focusing on strength training instead of weight loss...
    TR0berts wrote: »
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.

I put your stats in and came up with 1367 for sedentary. I certainly wouldn't classify you as sedentary. At least Light Exercise, as you walk to/from class. Using that, I come up with 1566 for your TDEE. A 1/2 lb per week loss puts you at an estimated 1316 Cals per day, in that case.

The option for light exercise says I do exercise 1-2 days a week. I do walk to college 4 days every week but isn't that counted just in living?

I'll read those threads too now

Not if you put sedentary...which your not.

I understand that now I didn't know before I thought it was counted as just living things :(
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Hi Berry_EG. I love your apple-cuddling kitty.

I'm also 5 feet tall, with a 9-hour-a-day desk job; and I'm 58, which means I get less lee-way than you do. But I was able to lose 34 pounds over about 8 months eating at around 1200 calories. It helped that I took - and continue to take - walking breaks during the day (eat lunch at desk, use my actual lunch hour to stretch and walk, for example). A 30-minute walk at a brisk NYC-pace will give me a good 1000 extra calories to burn, and it clears my head nicely.

Thanks :) I would be happy to lose that fast. I don't know what a brisk NYC-pace is but that seems like a lot of calories I don't think I would burn that many.

I used the same one. With your estimates that you walk to and from class, ie 50 minutes/day, you shouldn't be selecting sedentary. That is equivalent to exercise - and therefore, your TDEE is likely at least 1500.

You need to start with the basics - have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Especially this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Go with the 1200 cals that MFP gave you. Log all the foods you eat, ideally using a food scale for accuracy. Continue with your current activity and on days you do go to the gym or do some intentional exercise, eat some of those back. I think you are going to lose 0.5 lb/week and be at your goal in 15 or so weeks... that is assuming that your goal is a healthy one. 92 lbs is pretty low, maybe even underweight for your height? Are you looking for a number on a scale or a certain body aesthetic, because you may get the results you're looking for by focusing on strength training instead of weight loss...

I put your stats in and came up with 1367 for sedentary. I certainly wouldn't classify you as sedentary. At least Light Exercise, as you walk to/from class. Using that, I come up with 1566 for your TDEE. A 1/2 lb per week loss puts you at an estimated 1316 Cals per day, in that case.

The option for light exercise says I do exercise 1-2 days a week. I do walk to college 4 days every week but isn't that counted just in living?

That's what I've been trying to say. Just because you don't go to the gym and sweat your tail off on a machine, doesn't mean you don't exercise. My exercise is walking about 1 hour/day. You do that going to and from class, probably carrying a backpack filled with heavy textbooks. Whether it is counted as exercise or counted in your NEAT (non exercise activity level), it still counts toward your overall calorie burn for the day. You are not sedentary and you are likely burning more than 1500 cals/day, so to lose, you should be eating 1200 or more (and I'm still wondering if losing weight is the best goal for you).

Especially this one:

Well, yes. But that calculator doesn't have a setting for what I'd call "real" activity level.

Using the calculator over at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, and choosing Sedentary, with a 10% reduction, it gives 1379 Calories.

You'll find that many different calculators give different values. The trick is to pick one, eat at that Calorie level for a while (like a month), and evaluate where you are then. If you have to, you can tweak things at that point. Before, if something is obviously wrong.

Ok thanks I think I understand better now. So my actual TDEE is higher because my normal living things count as exercise too. I think I broke the scooby one I keep getting random numbers but I can use the tdeecalculator one instead?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hi @Berry_EG! I'm just barely 5 feet tall (depending on whether I'm standing up as straight as I possibly can!). I've had a lot of success in losing weight at 1200 calories/day plus regular exercise, but I did start at a much higher weight than you are right now.

Shorter people's bodies don't need as many calories to function as taller people's bodies do. Lighter bodies also don't burn as many calories while doing the same exercise as heavier bodies do. That can be really frustrating for us short folks who aren't looking to lose very much weight. I've found that as I lost weight, I had to work even harder because the same exercises no longer burned as many calories for me as they once did when I weighed more.

It helps me to think in terms of foods that are filling and nutrient-dense. Lean protein, vegetables cooked with little to no oil, whole grains, fresh fruit, etc. I measure everything carefully, especially calorie-dense foods like oils or nut butters. That's especially important for me, because even measuring a few foods inaccurately can take me out of my calorie deficit. If I'm in a situation where I can't accurately measure what I eat, like going out to a restaurant, I try for a high-end estimate of calories. I also think in terms of what foods are enjoyable uses of my calories. I don't find a can of sugary soda enjoyable enough to spend calories on it, for example, since it doesn't fill me up and I don't like it very much, but someone else might feel differently.

In hindsight, I wish I had done more strength training as I lost weight. Many bodyweight strength exercises like squats, lunges, planks, pushups, etc. don't require any equipment and can be really effective without requiring you to spend a lot of time on them. I sometimes take a couple of minutes to stand up from my desk and do a few planks or squats before going back to work.

I think it's worth finding out whether your college offers any sort of nutrition consultation for students. If so, try scheduling an appointment to talk to a nutritionist about meal ideas that would work well for you.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So if I eat what it says which is 1200 that's like 160 difference per day. Im not good at maths but I worked that out to be 22 days to lose 1lb which seems crazy?? That's way too long when the settings allow people to choose to lose between 0.5 and 2lb PER WEEK?

Those settings aren't for people who already have a BMI of 20.2. People who weigh more can lose weight faster than those who are working on "vanity pounds". Do you really think your body ought to be able to lose weight as fast as somebody who weighs three times what you do?

At your size (only 100 pounds), 0.5 pounds/week would be the absolute *fastest* you should be trying to lose weight. With regard to the 1200 cal/day minimum, you're right that one global number for everyone of every size is silly. Use your BMR as your "absolutely do not eat less than this" number. So, that's 1164 - slightly less than 1200 but still not going to give you much of a deficit if you don't get at least "lightly active".

My recommendation: if you don't have time to do formal exercise, get a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps/day. But, honestly, I don't think losing these 8 pounds will make you happy with your body. I think that, to get the body you want, you need to increase your activity level and build a little muscle.

• Berry_EG
    Berry_EG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That said, is it correct, that you're trying to lose more weight? 100 lb doesn't seem to be overweight for you at 4'11".

I'm not overweight by the BMI numbers but I have a very small frame so I look bad. I worked out that 92 is the lowest for not underweight so I want to be that and hopefully I don't look as bad

Are you sure that weight loss is what you want? If you just "look bad," you may be happier adding muscle instead of losing weight.
    That said, is it correct, that you're trying to lose more weight? 100 lb doesn't seem to be overweight for you at 4'11".

I'm not overweight by the BMI numbers but I have a very small frame so I look bad. I worked out that 92 is the lowest for not underweight so I want to be that and hopefully I don't look as bad

If you don't like the way your body looks at 100 lbs, and you don't do any purposeful exercise, it is likely you won't like the way your body will look at 92 lbs either. You need to focus on strength training, not on losing more weight. I know you won't like that answer since you think you can't find time to exercise, but give this a read:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.

People complaining about life being unfair but unwilling to do anything to change it and someone not babying them and being blunt. She wants to eat more/ lose more she needs to workout. NOT the same as someone calling someone working hard young and irresponsible with nothing going on in their life because they make health a priority.

Also she posted asking for advice. And then wont take it. And is picking things people say apart to put it up in such a way it seems were telling her she NEEDS to work out non stop. Which no one ever said.

So yeah ima be blunt with her and tell heer what she needs to hear. Not apologizing for not babying her.

I'm not complaining I'm just trying to understand and it is frustrating to me. When I said I can't do lots of extra exercise every day it is because I can't do it not because I don't want advice. I want all advice. I would happily eat less but it says not to eat less than 1200 and I am trying to know why

You already said you do exercise. Im failing to see where you cant do exercise.

I don't do exercise. I can work out that I can a few days a week but not every day.

OK, now I think we're getting somewhere. After you check out that link that @WinoGelato posted, note that it only takes a few days a week. Can you use the strength equipment in your university gym? If so, great! 2-3 times per week will probably do wonders for you. Putting on just a little muscle - I think - will help. And, if you can't use the gym, then a simple bodyweight program will work, too.

I don't really want to gain muscle really I don't like how it looks I prefer that I can just look normal I think. I will read that site properly though now
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Especially this one:

I understand that now I didn't know before I thought it was counted as just living things :(

I'm also 5 feet tall, with a 9-hour-a-day desk job; and I'm 58, which means I get less lee-way than you do. But I was able to lose 34 pounds over about 8 months eating at around 1200 calories. It helped that I took - and continue to take - walking breaks during the day (eat lunch at desk, use my actual lunch hour to stretch and walk, for example). A 30-minute walk at a brisk NYC-pace will give me a good 1000 extra calories to burn, and it clears my head nicely.

Thanks :) I would be happy to lose that fast. I don't know what a brisk NYC-pace is but that seems like a lot of calories I don't think I would burn that many.

Especially this one:

That's what I've been trying to say. Just because you don't go to the gym and sweat your tail off on a machine, doesn't mean you don't exercise. My exercise is walking about 1 hour/day. You do that going to and from class, probably carrying a backpack filled with heavy textbooks. Whether it is counted as exercise or counted in your NEAT (non exercise activity level), it still counts toward your overall calorie burn for the day. You are not sedentary and you are likely burning more than 1500 cals/day, so to lose, you should be eating 1200 or more (and I'm still wondering if losing weight is the best goal for you).

Especially this one:

Well, yes. But that calculator doesn't have a setting for what I'd call "real" activity level.

Using the calculator over at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, and choosing Sedentary, with a 10% reduction, it gives 1379 Calories.

You'll find that many different calculators give different values. The trick is to pick one, eat at that Calorie level for a while (like a month), and evaluate where you are then. If you have to, you can tweak things at that point. Before, if something is obviously wrong.

Ok thanks I think I understand better now. So my actual TDEE is higher because my normal living things count as exercise too. I think I broke the scooby one I keep getting random numbers but I can use the tdeecalculator one instead?

Yes. TDEE is your TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure. It is the sum of your BMR (the amount you'd burn if you were literally in a coma, what your body needs to stay alive), your NEAT (non exercise daily activity) and purposeful exercise. It doesn't matter whether you call it walking to class and someone else calls it exercise - it all counts as calories you are burning toward that TDEE.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Are you sure that weight loss is what you want? If you just "look bad," you may be happier adding muscle instead of losing weight.

If you don't like the way your body looks at 100 lbs, and you don't do any purposeful exercise, it is likely you won't like the way your body will look at 92 lbs either. You need to focus on strength training, not on losing more weight. I know you won't like that answer since you think you can't find time to exercise, but give this a read:

It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.

People complaining about life being unfair but unwilling to do anything to change it and someone not babying them and being blunt. She wants to eat more/ lose more she needs to workout. NOT the same as someone calling someone working hard young and irresponsible with nothing going on in their life because they make health a priority.

Also she posted asking for advice. And then wont take it. And is picking things people say apart to put it up in such a way it seems were telling her she NEEDS to work out non stop. Which no one ever said.

So yeah ima be blunt with her and tell heer what she needs to hear. Not apologizing for not babying her.

I'm not complaining I'm just trying to understand and it is frustrating to me. When I said I can't do lots of extra exercise every day it is because I can't do it not because I don't want advice. I want all advice. I would happily eat less but it says not to eat less than 1200 and I am trying to know why

I don't do exercise. I can work out that I can a few days a week but not every day.

OK, now I think we're getting somewhere. After you check out that link that @WinoGelato posted, note that it only takes a few days a week. Can you use the strength equipment in your university gym? If so, great! 2-3 times per week will probably do wonders for you. Putting on just a little muscle - I think - will help. And, if you can't use the gym, then a simple bodyweight program will work, too.

I don't really want to gain muscle really I don't like how it looks I prefer that I can just look normal I think. I will read that site properly though now

Normal women have muscle. Nobody's suggesting you try to look like a body builder.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Muscle can look "normal." I'm not talking about getting bulky (which is incredibly hard for women). Many women who are at a normal weight (which you are) and unhappy with how they look are actually unhappy with their body fat level relative to muscle. Focusing on strength training can help greatly with this.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I agree with this. The first time I lost a lot of weight (I'm now doing it for the 2nd time), I just focused on losing weight, not nutrition or anything else. When I hit my goal of losing 100 lbs, down to 185 from 285~, I had a little more definition in places, but overall, I felt like by body shape really hadn't changed that much. This time around, I'm paying more attention to nutrition, and not just simply cutting my calories really low. When I cut my calories to 1200 per day, I didn't feel like strength training, or any other type of training for that matter.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I get that, but it's almost always really hard for women to put on a lot of muscle. It's hard enough for men to do it, and women generally don't have the right mix of hormones to do so. And I'm only talking about a little bit of muscle - like a lb or two. Most likely, you'll just keep the muscle you already have.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I agree with strength training. It doesn't really make you look exceptionally muscular unless you're lifting extremely large weights. I squat 230 and my legs don't look ripped, or large. They just look toned. I curl 30 lbs. and shoulder press 50 lbs. but my arms are small and skinny, and don't look "cut." The people who have extreme fitness bodies likely lift very large weights in comparison to their body weight. I started lifting thinking that I would get large and bulky...I got the opposite. I look leaner and thinner. I kept thinking "if I just eat a little bit less, lose the last 10 lbs." and then realized that if I started lifting the composition of your body changes. The fat is not distributed the same and the look is leaner. Definitely something to consider.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Muscle can look "normal." I'm not talking about getting bulky (which is incredibly hard for women). Many women who are at a normal weight (which you are) and unhappy with how they look are actually unhappy with their body fat level relative to muscle. Focusing on strength training can help greatly with this.

All of this.

Also OP, since I've given you lots of other things to read today, add this one as well... just skim through and look at the before/after photos of women who started lifting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Hi @Berry_EG! I'm just barely 5 feet tall (depending on whether I'm standing up as straight as I possibly can!). I've had a lot of success in losing weight at 1200 calories/day plus regular exercise, but I did start at a much higher weight than you are right now.

Shorter people's bodies don't need as many calories to function as taller people's bodies do. Lighter bodies also don't burn as many calories while doing the same exercise as heavier bodies do. That can be really frustrating for us short folks who aren't looking to lose very much weight. I've found that as I lost weight, I had to work even harder because the same exercises no longer burned as many calories for me as they once did when I weighed more.

It helps me to think in terms of foods that are filling and nutrient-dense. Lean protein, vegetables cooked with little to no oil, whole grains, fresh fruit, etc. I measure everything carefully, especially calorie-dense foods like oils or nut butters. That's especially important for me, because even measuring a few foods inaccurately can take me out of my calorie deficit. If I'm in a situation where I can't accurately measure what I eat, like going out to a restaurant, I try for a high-end estimate of calories. I also think in terms of what foods are enjoyable uses of my calories. I don't find a can of sugary soda enjoyable enough to spend calories on it, for example, since it doesn't fill me up and I don't like it very much, but someone else might feel differently.

In hindsight, I wish I had done more strength training as I lost weight. Many bodyweight strength exercises like squats, lunges, planks, pushups, etc. don't require any equipment and can be really effective without requiring you to spend a lot of time on them. I sometimes take a couple of minutes to stand up from my desk and do a few planks or squats before going back to work.

I think it's worth finding out whether your college offers any sort of nutrition consultation for students. If so, try scheduling an appointment to talk to a nutritionist about meal ideas that would work well for you.

Thanks that is helpful I defiantly can measure things carefully. I don't know if there is a nutritionist here but I don't think so :(
    So if I eat what it says which is 1200 that's like 160 difference per day. Im not good at maths but I worked that out to be 22 days to lose 1lb which seems crazy?? That's way too long when the settings allow people to choose to lose between 0.5 and 2lb PER WEEK?

Those settings aren't for people who already have a BMI of 20.2. People who weigh more can lose weight faster than those who are working on "vanity pounds". Do you really think your body ought to be able to lose weight as fast as somebody who weighs three times what you do?

At your size (only 100 pounds), 0.5 pounds/week would be the absolute *fastest* you should be trying to lose weight. With regard to the 1200 cal/day minimum, you're right that one global number for everyone of every size is silly. Use your BMR as your "absolutely do not eat less than this" number. So, that's 1164 - slightly less than 1200 but still not going to give you much of a deficit if you don't get at least "lightly active".

My recommendation: if you don't have time to do formal exercise, get a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps/day. But, honestly, I don't think losing these 8 pounds will make you happy with your body. I think that, to get the body you want, you need to increase your activity level and build a little muscle.

Ok I worked out now that I am lightly active I just didn't know that walking normally counted as exercise too. I have watched shows with very overweight people where they lost a lot more than 2lb a week but I know I dont think I will lose that fast it just seemed so low before.
  • Berry_EG
    Options

Especially this one:

Especially this one:

Especially this one:

Yes. TDEE is your TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure. It is the sum of your BMR (the amount you'd burn if you were literally in a coma, what your body needs to stay alive), your NEAT (non exercise daily activity) and purposeful exercise. It doesn't matter whether you call it walking to class and someone else calls it exercise - it all counts as calories you are burning toward that TDEE.

All of these letters are so confusing to remember the different with. I think I understand a bit better though thanks :smile:
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'. It's not all that hard, our TDEE is just lower. I'd recommend eating 1,200 calories per day - your weight loss may not be as quick to drop off, but it will be maintainable and you won't be starving all the time. Eat small amounts every 3-4 hours throughout the day, and make sure they are nutrient packed food options. Also, think about incorporating lifting into your exercise routine because it can change the composition of your body (if you're like me, and a lot of short people that I know, you are "thicker" and therefore your body responds well to lifting)

Not necessary at all o_O at the eating every 3-4 hours

Not saying it's necessary. Just a tip. When I was at 1,200 calories that's the only way I got by...
  • Berry_EG
    Options

Normal women have muscle. Nobody's suggesting you try to look like a body builder.

rpsetser2 wrote: »

I agree with this. The first time I lost a lot of weight (I'm now doing it for the 2nd time), I just focused on losing weight, not nutrition or anything else. When I hit my goal of losing 100 lbs, down to 185 from 285~, I had a little more definition in places, but overall, I felt like by body shape really hadn't changed that much. This time around, I'm paying more attention to nutrition, and not just simply cutting my calories really low. When I cut my calories to 1200 per day, I didn't feel like strength training, or any other type of training for that matter.

I get that, but it's almost always really hard for women to put on a lot of muscle. It's hard enough for men to do it, and women generally don't have the right mix of hormones to do so. And I'm only talking about a little bit of muscle - like a lb or two. Most likely, you'll just keep the muscle you already have.
    I agree with strength training. It doesn't really make you look exceptionally muscular unless you're lifting extremely large weights. I squat 230 and my legs don't look ripped, or large. They just look toned. I curl 30 lbs. and shoulder press 50 lbs. but my arms are small and skinny, and don't look "cut." The people who have extreme fitness bodies likely lift very large weights in comparison to their body weight. I started lifting thinking that I would get large and bulky...I got the opposite. I look leaner and thinner. I kept thinking "if I just eat a little bit less, lose the last 10 lbs." and then realized that if I started lifting the composition of your body changes. The fat is not distributed the same and the look is leaner. Definitely something to consider.

All of this.

Also OP, since I've given you lots of other things to read today, add this one as well... just skim through and look at the before/after photos of women who started lifting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

I dont know. Those people in the last link and the Staci one seemed more muscler than I would ever want to be I think :( I dont think having muscles is something that would make me happier I think? If that is the difference it does :/
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    I dont think those people look bad I just dont think I want to be the same sorry if that is rude to them :(
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You are just under 5 feet and weigh 100 pounds? You are already at a healthy BMI. How much weight are you planning to lose? Be careful you don't get to an unhealthy low weight.
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    You are just under 5 feet and weigh 100 pounds? You are already at a healthy BMI. How much weight are you planning to lose? Be careful you don't get to an unhealthy low weight.

I'm not it's okay my plan is the lowest number of BMI that is healthy. I have a very small frame so I hope that I am better then
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I need help or tips for shorter people. because I am shorter it's harder to lose weight. My BMR I calculated at 1130 so even with exercise and that I can't get much higher than 1300 or something?

Your BMR is just the calorie you burn existing...I'm sure you do more than exist. Additional energy expenditure isn't only going to come from exercise...it also comes from your day to day general activity.

My wife is 5'2" on a good day...she exercises most days either running or she lifts once per week...that combined with her daily general activity gives here anywhere between 2,000 - 2,300 calories per day to maintain...and thus would easily lose about 2 Lbs per week eating 1200ish calories though she generally keeps it around 1,500 when she's cutting fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

rpsetser2 wrote: »

All of this.

I dont know. Those people in the last link and the Staci one seemed more muscler than I would ever want to be I think :( I dont think having muscles is something that would make me happier I think? If that is the difference it does :/

Staci worked very very hard to get that look. You don't have the desire or willingness to put in as much time as she did. You're not going to wake up one morning and be bulky.