Concerned about HR when running.

Options
Hey y'all, I'm a 5'7 ish lady, roughly 190lbs and 20 years old. Two years ago I lost about 100lbs with this app and got down to the 140lb range through a healthy diet and running.

This year I began having rough daily panic attacks and gained about 60lbs in 3 months. My panic attacks surround a fear of having a heart attack or brain aneurysm. I have had a handful of EKGs and an MRI of my brain, all of which have come back normal.

This last month I've decided to get back into running and weight loss (lost about ten pounds already woo). However, when I run, my heart spikes higher than it did when I was lighter.

When I was in the 140lb range my heart rate would reach about 185 regularly on my 5 mile runs and I felt okay. I've run 5 miles a couple times this past week and felt okay during and afterward, but my HR was at least 197bpm by the end of my run today.

I get chest pain due to my anxiety accompanied by pain down my left arm which I'm getting now. I know it's my anxiety but what are the chances I've screwed my heart up by letting it get that high during my run today?

It might be worth mentioning my heart rate has felt pretty light and hard to find this past week when I check it on my neck. Am I just not used to the feeling of exercise anymore?

I'm probably being stupid because I'm young and not dizzy or anything but I'm really freaked out by this. Thanks in advance for any opinions/experiences with high heart rates during exercise.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you take anything for anxiety?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You should discuss this with your doctor.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with high heart rates and exercise, but I do have plenty of experience with anxiety and panic attacks. Specifically, the fear of having a heart attack.

My anxiety was at it's worst when I was about 20. I used to make my family take me to the ER at least 1 or 2 times per month because I thought I was having a heart attack. I even went to cardiologist and made him out me on a 24 hr. heart monitor. There was nothing wrong.

Now at 35 I still have my moments, but I've spent many many years learning how to "talk my self down from the ledge" so to speak. I think that if you have already been seen by a doctor and he's cleared you of any kind of issues and advised you that exercise is ok then I would not pay too much attention to the numbers. Not saying disregard them entirely, but be aware that for people like you and me these numbers can trigger major anxiety and panic attacks. Especially because we tend to over analyze and "what if" situations to death.

I mean, if you did not monitor your heart rate while you exercised would you be losing anything?
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My doctor always says it's anxiety related when I get chest pain, I've been so many times this past year. I think she's sick of giving me EKGs lol. I don't take anything for the anxiety because benzos are habit forming and all antidepressants I've ever taken have led to drastic rapid weight gain and therefore, worse depression haha.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This last month I've decided to get back into running and weight loss (lost about ten pounds already woo). However, when I run, my heart spikes higher than it did when I was lighter.

When I was in the 140lb range my heart rate would reach about 185 regularly on my 5 mile runs and I felt okay. I've run 5 miles a couple times this past week and felt okay during and afterward, but my HR was at least 197bpm by the end of my run today.

That's completely normal. Your heart is beating faster because you're doing more work (moving more weight). I'm guessing you're also not in as good shape now as when you were lighter (and probably running more often) which is another reason your HR will be elevated. This happens to everybody.
    I get chest pain due to my anxiety accompanied by pain down my left arm which I'm getting now. I know it's my anxiety but what are the chances I've screwed my heart up by letting it get that high during my run today?

You'll get much better information from a doctor who's treating you and doing diagnostic tests. But most people will get tunnel vision and feel light headed and have to stop, before they'll fall over and die. It's like a built-in safety mechanism.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am heavy and my heart rate would spike about to what yours does. At first it made me freak out and I became obsessed with my HRM. I no longer run with one because I became so obsessed with it that it interfered with my running and enjoying my runs. I also suffer from anxiety but if I keep running at least 3x a week it is much better. But I have to run myself pretty hard for it to work.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If I check my heart rate during exercise or if I feel my heart rate rise for any reason it triggers a day long panic. The only thing you can do is address the panic. I know people suggest medication, but that is only a band-aid with panic swirling underneath. You must gain control of your panic. No it isn't easy, yes it takes work and effort. But if you can lose over 100 pounds then you can do this too.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

For a normal heart, the chances are low.

Chest pain + pain down the left arm can be a sign of a heart problem and should be discussed with your doctor. :+1:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Slow down! While the high heart rate is not dangerous, your long term running improvement is comprised when you run too hard all the time. The risk of injury goes up and your level of fitness does not increase as much as it would if you took it easy.

FWIW, I have pushed my heart rate right up to it max several times this year and will not hesitate to do it again. At age 47 I have hit 185 BPM a couple times at the end of races. When I was younger I would hit the mid 190s without a problem.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    slow down and then when you are running slower, slow down some more. In fact you might want to look at doing LHR training, which is low heart rate training.

You do need a proper HR monitor to wear while you exercise. So you can train your HR the whole time.

The following site has some good information about it.

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

For you, you probably don't want your HR to go over 150 at any point during exercise. So keep on slowing down until you remain under that the whole time.

Also, as others have said, get checked out by a doctor about the pains in your arm, that isn't normal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely you screwed up your heart today but it would be a good idea to slow down and perhaps take shorter runs. Focus on the FACT that all tests came back NORMAL! That's terrific!!
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity do you know your heart rate zones for training in. Also what about resting heart rate when you wake.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started running by heart rate this year. The goal is to stay under 140. When the HR hits 140 you slow down more or walk until you get under 140. I started off walking more than running and my times went up by about 5 min/mile BUT after about 30 weeks I can run almost the entire time and I am back to close to normal paces.

Under 140 is the aerobic zone for the heart.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    FYI, @twinmom_112002, 140 is (the top, or maybe the bottom of) the aerobic zone for your heart. But maybe not for anyone else's. Heart rate response to exercise is very personal and changes a lot from one person to the next.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Under 140 is the aerobic zone for the heart.

This is not true for all people. Your aerobic zone is going to be dependent on your max heart rate, which, among other things, is a factor of your age. At 20 years old, it is likely that OP can sustain a much higher heart rate without going anaerobic.

OP, if you are interested in training based on heart rate, there are lots of different resources out there, but that wasn't really your question. I will just second what others have already said. Heart rate is a very individual thing and at 20 years old, there is nothing alarming about the numbers you posted. However, if you are interested in improving your cardiovascular fitness, your best bet is to slow down to a conversational pace when you run.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    slow down and then when you are running slower, slow down some more. In fact you might want to look at doing LHR training, which is low heart rate training.

You do need a proper HR monitor to wear while you exercise. So you can train your HR the whole time.

For you, you probably don't want your HR to go over 150 at any point during exercise. So keep on slowing down until you remain under that the whole time.

Also, as others have said, get checked out by a doctor about the pains in your arm, that isn't normal.

So, at age 51, I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 130????

That seems nuts to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You're heavier than before. Your hear trate is going to be higher if you're trying to do the same workout when you were lighter.
    Also anxiety will raise heart rate. Are being seen for this or taking medication?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

So, at age 51, I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 130????

That seems nuts to me.

Not quite. Under this type of system, your heart rate can go over 130, but your goal is to keep it below. Most (not all) of the time you spend exercising your heart should be < 130. If it goes over, you slow down a little until it comes back down.

I don't do the Maffetone thing personally, but I do try to keep my HR in Zone 2 for about 80 % of my training sessions. While I'm cycling, I don't actually look at my HRM, just keep a moderate level of effort, but after I finish, I use the time-in-zone charts to see how well I did. Here's an example:

26183180982_9cfc3014c8_o_d.jpg
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. My goal is to try to keep it under zone 5. No apparent issue being in 3 or 4 and I target mid range of zone 4 while on the treadmill for short duration (25 mins) and mid zone 3 for longer (50 mins).