Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the Insulin Theory of Obesity Over?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    and the poster :-

xhr80btnnmgl.jpg

Thanks, this seems to be consistent with what kh discussed in his interview.

Sort of.... He seemed to stress some things in the interview that was not the main result of the the experiment, the main result being that energy expenditure (CO) increases following an isocaloric ketogenic diet in overweight and obese men.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full paper so I can get a clearer picture of what he did and did not do, and what all of his results are.

As wetcoaster post and as kh mentioned in his video, its a short term increase in EE. I suspect its due to a change in energy systems. At the same point though, weight loss didnt occur during that period and slowly caught up to the baseline data.

But i do agree it will be interesting to see the full data.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this right here.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

And also point out the last line of Kevin Hall's abstract:

Therefore, an isocaloric ketogenic diet was associated with increased energy expenditure of ~100 kcal/d.

Isocaloric means same amount of calories, so shouldn't energy expenditure be the same, Kevin? Did you forget about CICO, Kevin? tsk tsk.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

Therefore, an isocaloric ketogenic diet was associated with increased energy expenditure of ~100 kcal/d.

Isocaloric means same amount of calories, so shouldn't energy expenditure be the same, Kevin? Did you forget about CICO, Kevin? tsk tsk.

"One little problem: The increase in EE persisted for about 10 days and then rapidly trailed off to almost zero after ~3 weeks."

I suspect the increase in EE was due to the changing of energy system.

It should also be pointed out that during that time of increase EE, no weight loss occurred, according to the video.

Exactly. And with that change a brief adaptation occurred. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry, CICO still governs...
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options

"One little problem: The increase in EE persisted for about 10 days and then rapidly trailed off to almost zero after ~3 weeks."

It should also be pointed out that during that time of increase EE, no weight loss occurred, according to the video.

Exactly. And with that change a brief adaptation occurred. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry, CICO still governs...

And cognitive dissonance will forever prevail :D
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

That's not what cognitive dissonance is.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »

Did you watch the KH video or just read the pro low carb link?
  • J72FIT
    Options

Why are you refusing to acknowledge that the EE lasted for only 10 days and trailed off to zero in 3 weeks?
  • J72FIT
    Options

How so?
  • J72FIT
    Options

How so?

Still waiting...
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    N of 17 doesn't convince me of anything. How were these groups monitored? What sampling techniques were employed? Age stratification? Genetic background? Without methodology and confounding variables explained, I take this with a grain of salt.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    N of 17 doesn't convince me of anything. How were these groups monitored? What sampling techniques were employed? Age stratification? Genetic background? Without methodology and confounding variables explained, I take this with a grain of salt.

Did you not read the paper? It was a metabolic ward study. Its probably the only ward study that held protein and calories constant.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    It SHOULD be dead, but sadly some of the people driving the movement aren't going to change their mind despite evidence opposing them, and Taubes even admitted to not changing his mind despite this. (Debate vs Aragon, UK)

How am i not shocked. A non scientists is refusing to recognize science. Never saw that coming.

It's mind boggling.

In fairness to Taubes, I DO think he is remarkably intelligent. I just think he's also remarkably wrong. The video of him actually saying this is up on Alan's wall on facebook if you scroll down a bit =)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It SHOULD be dead, but sadly some of the people driving the movement aren't going to change their mind despite evidence opposing them, and Taubes even admitted to not changing his mind despite this. (Debate vs Aragon, UK)

How am i not shocked. A non scientists is refusing to recognize science. Never saw that coming.

It's mind boggling.

In fairness to Taubes, I DO think he is remarkably intelligent. I just think he's also remarkably wrong. The video of him actually saying this is up on Alan's wall on facebook if you scroll down a bit =)

Demagogues have to be intelligent ;)
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    On a clinical level, I'm sure Insulin cannot be ignored as a factor in diabetes, as every patient I have encountered gains weight when administered insulin. And not an insignificant amount of weight either.

However our pancreas' ability to secrete insulin (and our cells ability to receive signals from insulin) is essential to life, so unilaterally demonizing insulin seems inappropriate.

From a practical standpoint, I admit that I do not really care what is truly happening with the exact details at the cellular level along with the details of every single metabolic side process and all the results out of the isolated metabolic ward studies in the literature, but rather care more about real world results in real world patients.

Certain lifestyle strategies seem to work almost without fail with respect to fighting obesity and diabetes. That's all that matters to me and that's all that seems to matter to patients.