Grade question that is not relevant to MFP

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Would it be ok to ask your boss to bump your salary up because you've only missed work a few times?

That's different. That's asking for a raise, and people should do it (with better justification, though) because that's how you get ahead. But salary is a result of how well you negotiate, not an average of your performance like we're talking about here.

It's the same premise. Here's what I earned but here's what I think you should have given me.

Nah, I disagree. A salary is prospective, not retrospective. A grade is a ranking of how you did in a past event. A salary is something that you negotiate (yes, based on your past performance) but reflects your value going forwards. If it was the same premise, you'd work all year and then get told how much you were going to get paid for that work.

Alright, I'll buy that for a dollar. But I will maintain that the concept of OP asking for a better grade based on attendance is utterly ridiculous and a wonderful example of entitlement.

Haahaa snap - I posted basically the same thing at the same time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    On thinking about it, I can see "I showed up to every class bar one" making the difference between a failing grade and a scrape through pass, but it certainly isn't the difference between a B and an A.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The 84.6 is more than acceptable for missing a class..but is there a test that has possible grading errors or you dispute a grade? If not, it really is not fair to all the other students to ask for a free bump In grade..

If this is the final, and its already been posted really the grade in the system might not can be changed anyways.. If not and there is no way you can earn extra credit, take the grade given and study harder next time.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You don't get an 84.6 for just missing one class. How about actually getting a better grade with actually acing papers and tests instead? That may of course mean more studying and memorizing of information.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dh is a professor fielding many grade questions this week. It is extremely annoying and your professor will not think well of you for bothering them last minute about your grade.
    Don't ask for a grade bump unless you can make a really good case that there was a grading error. It is disrespectful to ask for a better grade just because you showed up. Your professor has given you the grade they feel you earned. You didn't earn a 90.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh bull...Earned it - shmerned it....ask for what you want. What's the worse that can happen (and likely will) they'll say no, so what. :p

Edit: I might get stoned to death here. *ducking*
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I had a 99 in college psychology. Was awesome- ruined any curve for the rest of them!

I'd ask about the grading system. When I taught I looked for a natural break in the grades and divide them into letter grades. Example 90, 89,88,87,82,80 see between 87 and 82 there's a break. So 87 A, 82B.

Good luck!

ETA-Oh there's nothing wrong with a B you earned! I've had a few hard won C's! And thankful for them!
  • annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lol. Laughing at everybody who seriously got their panties in a wad over this!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options

tohdbtpefanw.jpg
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options

For real!!!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Accept the grade you earned.

Why do you feel asking for a bump from a B to an A- is an option?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I don't have any friends or family to ask this to so I'm using MFP! I have an 84.6 in my psychology class and I have only missed it one time. I've done all the extra credit as well. Would it be too much a stretch to ask my professor to bump it up to a 90? Hahah I know that's a lot but I'm just wondering if it's almost disrespectful.

If you earned 84.6....that's what you earned. People who earned 90 earned that 90. Yes, it would be disrespectful to them, in particular.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Another question: what was your grade prior to "all the extra credit"?
  • MammaPeaches
    MammaPeaches Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have any friends or family to ask this to so I'm using MFP! I have an 84.6 in my psychology class and I have only missed it one time. I've done all the extra credit as well. Would it be too much a stretch to ask my professor to bump it up to a 90? Hahah I know that's a lot but I'm just wondering if it's almost disrespectful.

Hi there! I'm an elementary school teacher so my view may be way off...! When I think about rounding up to a next grade I usually only do it if the grade is 88.5 or higher! There's nothing wrong with a B by the way! :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

LOL..I'm not sure if anyone's panties are in a wad, or even on....I'd say the comments you're referring to are people who are just shaking their heads at your question. You know, people who believe a dollar earned is a dollar earned, not five dollars just because you showed up.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    well 'service' the prof. if you do a good job you get an 'A' if not you have a lawsuit. bribe's and blackmail might work as well. of course the best policy is showing up, doing the reading and the work, studying and getting 100% on the eams and then the 5 extra credit point on top of that.... college really was not that hard. but it does seem to make a difference if you are paying for it as you go, not mom and dad, not all financial aid and loans.