The Diamond Challenge: Round 3 - Wk 4 (DITR)

Options

Replies

• morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all these pics gals, its nice to attach some faces to the names.

I know it is pretty cool to see!
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OK, so I posted this profile pic which is no where near high school (22 years after graduation), but there was no such thing as digital photography when I was in high school, and I can't get my scanner to work. Still have the same little round face as high school, though. LOL

PS. this photo is from 2004 (you can do the math)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ...although my husband laughs at me doing my morning dvd, he always says he is impressed at how I stick to it.

Join the club - mine teased me about wearing a bandana over my short hair for a run instead of a hat the other day but then did back right down when I told him to join me on the long run of the week! :laugh: But he's now asking each day about whether I'm running, riding or doing strenght and the distance I've got planned!
  • TwinMom12409
    Options
    QOTD Wednesday - How much support do you get at home, from friends and family? Do people support your new healthier choices or is there pressure on you to revert to your old habits every time you see certain people?

I have amazing support at home. My husband is fantastic and encouraging! My friends are pretty great too. The only person who pressures me to revert is ME. I am my own worst saboteur. Grr.
  • stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    QOTD Monday: What is more important to YOUR weight loss journey: Diet or Exercise?
    Both, but what I eat mostly since it has the greatest impact on weight loss compare to exercise.

QOTD Tuesday: I often crave sweet stuff and very often give into temptation without much thought. What strategies do you use to keep your willpower strong and not snack?

I really appreciate reading all of your replies to this great question. The most sucessful one is avoiding all sweets, cold turkey. It truely is easier for me to avoid the first bite rather than limit the portions - which I can't seem to do at all. I also have gone to bed earlier to avoid my unwind snack-crazy evenings. Mostly I simply don't buy sweets so they aren't available, or I have to make something which I'm often too lazy to bother to do. At times when my husband or I have bought the treats, I ask him to keep them in his trunk - this helps a bit, but the car always comes back again and I know just where the treats are ;)

QOTD Wednesday - How much support do you get at home, from friends and family? Do people support your new healthier choices or is there pressure on you to revert to your old habits every time you see certain people?

For the most part people are supportive. I have shared with close friends before I come over that I will not be eating any sweets, for instance. And that helps me to follow through and they have always been supportive. My mom whenever I see her, gives my the look over from head to toe and I can't tell you how I shrivle under her gaze, I don't think she knows she is doing it - but I just try to pretend it doesn't happen. I am pretty sensitive to the phrase,"being 'good", which my mom uses to describe her dieting success. 'Good' conveys a morality to food selection that it simply isn't. I am a good person, I am skilled and good at doing many many things. I'm not being 'bad' when I indulge in various foods - I'm chosing and living consequences. Nor am I 'being good' when I choose those things that support my health and weight loss goals. (please forgive my rant!) My kids are very supportive even in the grocery store when I explain that we are not buying various foods because they are not healthy and mommy has a hard time not eating too much of them. My husband has been pretty good at eating his snacks outside of the house or after I go to bed, I'm very grateful for that.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

me too! this is great!
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

A lot!! I do all the grocery shopping at my house so there's nothing bad except some ice-cream. My fridge is STOCKED with veggies and fruits. I just made a 5 gallon fruit salad with nine different fruits in it! an if you look at my diary its mostly vegetables:) they like how I eat so I make every one healthy meals and I love cooking and experimenting with food, and they eat well too so it's awesome! Yes! usually my friends are away for college but when we all get back they like to drink and smoke and eat crap! so I try to stay away by either not going or me being the one to say where we're going and I usually to invite them over to eat. My brother and I go to the gym together at least 4r times a week so I have such a great opportunity to lose some weight and finally feel good about myself! After our gym time today we both sat in the middle of the gym with our mats and did an abs video .. it was so much fun and I cant wait to go back tomorrow!

P.s Blue Diamonds- I havent been losing a lot of weight these past 4 weeks but I have been losing quite a few inches (my thighs almost dont touch while my feel are together!!!) and my muscles are being defined! Now if only the bit layer of fat will come off.. especially love handles !!

Go Diamonds and I hope to catch all of your next round ! :)
  • yacekl
    yacekl Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ditto for me..:smile:
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

Today is the last day of the Diamond Challenge, and I will truly miss this funny, amazing, quirky team! For today's QOTD, please finish the following sentence, "I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know... [something about you]."

My response:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know that although I am originally from Los Angeles, I attended a boarding school in New Hampshire for three years. I then spent a year living in France as a part of my school's abroad program. I am African American, but my first language is actually Spanish... my mother taught me Spanish first because she wanted to make sure that I would grow up multilingual.

I grew up in a poor but educated family. My mother, brother, and I shared a bed in a tiny converted garage when I was growing up, but my mother was a public defense attorney and instilled in me at the early age the value of education. My brother is currently in an MBA program at the University of Chicago, and I'm a UC Berkeley grad currently work for a charter school in Philadelphia (...and running an online weight loss group, lol). I like to crochet, dance, and spend time with my dog.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

Today is the last day of the Diamond Challenge, and I will truly miss this funny, amazing, quirky team! For today's QOTD, please finish the following sentence, "I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know... [something about you]."

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know (well, except for my 2 partners) that my hubby is in the military, deployed to Afghanistan. He just got back this week for his 2 week mid-tour leave. And I met my "mini-goal" weight the day he arrived home :drinker:
  • yacekl
    yacekl Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know that I'm married for 29 years to the same wonderful guy and have two great children, my oldest isgetting married next july. At the age of 10 I was on a television show called" Bozo the clown" , ( for those of you younger diamonds it was a very popular show at that time lol) I participted in a game on that show and one the grand prize. ( nothing big).
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know that I'm the only girl out of 8 children and as such, am a bit of a Tom Boy.
  • nkfowler74
    nkfowler74 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

My husband is fairly supportive of my healthier eating habits... he will eat whatever healthy options I cook. However, when we are on-the-go or having a hectic day, he sometimes encourages just grabbing something from a drive-thru or ordering pizza. He is supportive of my new "love" for workout dvds and makes sure that I have the uninterrupted time to do my faily workout. I also have several friends who are also either in the losing weight stage or just reaching the maintenance stage of the journey so they are also supportive.
  • ElleJay221
    ElleJay221 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know that I was a single mom to my 2 older boys for 10 years before getting re-married.
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know..... that I have hypoglycemia - a symptom of which is weight gain :sad:

Also means I have to be extra careful with foods i eat and calories, making sure I dont eat too little as well as too much!!

Lisa :flowerforyou:
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

....that when I was in high school, I went to Mexico several times with my church. At the time, I only spoke some basic Spanish. I was blessed with teaching the children in the small town lots of crafts and games. I am still friends with the people I met there. (And I eventually became fluent in spanish!)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know that I'm the oldest of 5 kids (farmer's daughter) and even though most of us are well above 30 (besides my 26 year old baby brother), I'm the only one with any children at all (and just one for us!)
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know (except if you already checked my profile :wink: i am from India) and my actually name is Kavya (i guess its easier for everyone to remember kathy.) The way i came up with kathy was when i was back home i used to work in a Technical call center for Earthlink(now everyone who is reading this will think OMG call center in India worse :noway: ) i agree i was very bad at my english but i guess no one was at that time now everyone is getting better, everyone had a alias so that's how i came up with this name.
    But my english is much better now :happy:

Kathy
  • nikkiws
    nikkiws Posts: 164
    Options
    Qotd Friday: I loved getting to know the diamonds, what they don't know about me is that I am a mad animal lover and have a few dogs and cats. My dog lily win her class at crufts for the last two years!
  • journey2size10
    Options
    QOTD Friday:

I loved getting to know my Diamonds, but they don't know exactly how anal I can be at times! I have charts and lists for everything that I do and am a neat freak. At times, I think it is not normal, but all my friends and family always say they wish they were as clean and organized as I am.

P.S. I was really on the fence about continuing on with this challenge (next round) as my weight really affects my moods and breaking into onederland is when my weight loss stalls and its depressing at times. I followed the advice of a friend and made goals/rewards based on things I can control like calories burned, days exercised and staying under calories, etc and said I would stay off the scale! so that meant nixing any weight loss challenges.
    I've decided my goals/rewards are great and will keep them, but will continue on with the weight loss challenges as it provides accountability as well as support. With the fitness and food goals I have, the weight will surely follow (in its own time)..thanks for listening diamonds.