C25K / running advice

Options
Running is hard for me. It never used to be but now I have problems with my calves being tight and causing shin pain. I'm slowly starting C25K again (with compression socks and jogging at 5mph) and now I'm afraid.

I just finished week 5 day 2 yesterday and tomorrow I have week 5 day 3 and it went from intervals of walking 5 minutes and jogging 8 minutes to jumping right into jogging for 20 minutes. Then week 6 day 1 is back to intervals. Should I slow down my speed for the 20 minutes or should I stray away from the app for a couple days and do my own thing to get my running distance higher?

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @_rachel_k You might try to post this question on the C25K Daily Check in Thread.
    My 2 cents of advice based on comments from people in the C25K Group is - Believe in the App and what it has in it's schedule. Don't be afraid to repeat certain days if you feel that you were having a bad day.

I am one of those abnormal people who went out and started running and went from 1km to 5km in under a month with no structured plan so I may not be the best source/reference for new runners.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reponse. I didn't even know that thread existed!

I'm hoping to take part in my second half marathon next year and I'm using the app as motivation... so I don't stop jogging too early and set myself up to fail
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick with the app and slow down your rate.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Should I slow down my speed for the 20 minutes

Yes
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Seems like slowing down is the answer. Thanks
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started using the C25K, but did not like running for x minutes and walking for x minutes. To me a program should have been based on distance, not time.

I kind of made my own version of it. I power walk every day from 3 to 10 miles, so I just started jogging certain sections of the route and increasing the jogging distance as I went along.

After 4 or 5 months I can jog 5 miles.

The program is great for making you realize what you have to do to achieve the goal, but can certainly be modified to fit your personal level.

And yes. Keep the jogging slow. A program based on distance (C25K) should be based on increasing distance (not time) IMO.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Bcalvanese thanks for your response. I'm subconsciously and a little consciously concerned with running faster. My boyfriend is better at it than me (and in far better shape) I thought this app would be a way for me to get better without hurting myself and without me giving up on running a minute or two before I should because I'm "tired"
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bcalvanese thanks for your response. I'm subconsciously and a little consciously concerned with running faster. My boyfriend is better at it than me (and in far better shape) I thought this app would be a way for me to get better without hurting myself and without me giving up on running a minute or two before I should because I'm "tired"

It is. But you have to follow it. If you start making up your own version, you increase your risk of injury.
    What @bcalvanese did is fine, because he takes a sensible approach to everything. He kept the interval training aspect of c25k which is the main point.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    A program based on distance (C25K) should be based on increasing distance (not time) IMO.

There are two variants of the C25K plan, one distance based, one time based. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses.

The key point is that interval training allows a longer overall session, with some recovery opportunity.

There is no One True Way(TM), other than avoiding too much, too soon, either in terms of distance, duration or pace.

Quite a number of marathon and ultramarathon training plans are time based, rather than distance.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You can always add speed later! Trust the app.
  • dknisle1
    dknisle1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Slow down. I dropped the app after that week and just started going on a run every other day. I did a 3 mile run yesterday without stopping. Avg 10 min pace. It's a mental game. Stick with it and you'll be fine
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Do slow down. Especially as you get used to longer runs, the ability to run slowly will make it much easier.

When I did c25k, I was so afraid of the leap from 8 to 20 minutes I did an intermediate day of 12 + 8 minutes. Afterwards, when I did the 20 easily on my next session, I realized that I would have been able to do it, I just didn't trust myself or the program enough.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Keep it slow even when you start feeling you can go faster.

The reason is because your heart and lungs develop much faster than you muscles, joints, and bones. Many people feel like they want to go faster because their heart and breathing feel good, and wind up getting an injury because the muscle, joint, and bones are not there yet.

I can run 5 miles non-stop now, but I do it at a very slow pace. I call it sissy jogging...LOL But I'm 59 years old and have to probably be more careful about my joints and stuff.

The program does not have to be done exactly. You can modify it to fit your own level.

It's all about pushing yourself a little more each time without pushing too hard and getting an injury. Stay in tune with your body while doing it. Your breathing, your heart rate, feel what muscles you are using. By doing this you can learn your own limits.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    I would also like to add that on the days that it says to rest, you can do power walks for recovery. Fast walking will actually help your body recover in between the intense workouts.

Power walking used to be my workouts. now they are my recovery.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    So many responses!! Thank you all for taking the time!

I just decided to go for it at my normal 5mph treadmill pace and told myself do what you can and slow down if you have to and the app knows me better than myself because I was able to do the whole thing at 5mph without falling over or dying!

On rest days I do weight training so I schedule 2 days off a week with no real exercise (slow walking doesn't count as exercise) so I don't burn out
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As far as I've found in my (pitiful) running career. long runs (whether they are 20mins straight or 20 miles) always involve a slower pace than the intervals. The long run is all relative depending upon your current ability. I'd definitely agree that you should slow down and try to hit the time goal, mainly because part of those is learning how to be comfortable while running (which is inherently an uncomfortable activity for most of us).

Have you signed up for a race yet? If not, I think you should. Just having a goal to shoot for always made training motivation easier for me. Find a local charity 5k for right around the time you finish the program. Then work to the 10k, then your half. Miles always get easier
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Slow down & you can always add it later on.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    cookma423 wrote: »
    As far as I've found in my (pitiful) running career. long runs (whether they are 20mins straight or 20 miles) always involve a slower pace than the intervals. The long run is all relative depending upon your current ability. I'd definitely agree that you should slow down and try to hit the time goal, mainly because part of those is learning how to be comfortable while running (which is inherently an uncomfortable activity for most of us).

Have you signed up for a race yet? If not, I think you should. Just having a goal to shoot for always made training motivation easier for me. Find a local charity 5k for right around the time you finish the program. Then work to the 10k, then your half. Miles always get easier

I competed in a 5k on Saturday and did HORRIBLE (my treadmill incline doesn't work and it has been a long time since I ran outside) but I am in training to participate in a half marathon next fall. I did it 2 years ago and I liked it but I didn't train properly so I wasn't last but it took me a very long time to finish and last year I didn't do much for running as I was trying to figure out what was up with my calves/shins
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    cookma423 wrote: »

I competed in a 5k on Saturday and did HORRIBLE (my treadmill incline doesn't work and it has been a long time since I ran outside) but I am in training to participate in a half marathon next fall. I did it 2 years ago and I liked it but I didn't train properly so I wasn't last but it took me a very long time to finish and last year I didn't do much for running as I was trying to figure out what was up with my calves/shins

Are you using a treadmill to train for a half marathon?
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Don't ever be afraid to go slower. I started at like 3.5 mph now I range from 3.7-3.9. Still slow but I'm getting there!