5'2 stuck at 127lbs, plateau for 4 weeks now

Options
Need a little help here if anyone has advice-

I hit my initial goal weight of 125.5 on 11/18 and have not seen a loss since; only a 2lb gain. I had my period after thanksgiving so I assumed the 2lbs was from that or the thanksgiving day off-plan foods, however it has not gone back down to 125 in 4 weeks.

The past 2 weeks I've been extremely strict, tracking every single piece of food on MFP. My bf and I like to go to dinner at least one night on the weekends and I've skipped that for 2 weeks now trying to figure out the issue.

I've been practicing IF for 8 months on a 16:8 schedule and eat only 1200cal a day. I'm concerned that the scale has not changed in 4 weeks and especially these last two weeks of strict 1200cal a day with one full day of a 24hr fast. The deficit should have moved the scale at least a little bit.

The lack of progress is also starting to mentally drag me down now that is is hitting a 3rd weekend where I can't enjoy a dinner out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated especially if you're short with the same goal of 115.

Thanks for listening~

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables that could be the reason. Water weight following your carbs and/or estrogen from your cycle. Have you added supplements? Or your macros changed?

So it's hard to pinpoint but I'd try switching something up. Add 100-150 calories and an extra 30 minutes of cardio or weight training.

I don't know your regimen to really give exact advice but try changing up something.

I'm not short just an ex-trainer and fitness enthusiast
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I thought my one full day 24hr fast would help but it didn't do anything. :(

I don't take any supplements, only my multivitamin, biotin, and viactive chew. Do you recommend any?

I haven't paid attention to macros as much as I could have during my weight loss. I went from almost 200lbs down to 127 but perhaps I need to focus on it even more now.
  • rascan001
    rascan001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this - I'm having the exact same problem! Hit my goal weight, so I relaxed on the counting for a while, and now that I'm back to it, I'm not losing anything else. The disappointment of it is the worst.

One thing to consider if you're working out is that you might be gaining muscle. I read that one poster uses the fit from dress and a pair of pants to really see how much her body is actually changing.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Need a little help here if anyone has advice-

I hit my initial goal weight of 125.5 on 11/18 and have not seen a loss since; only a 2lb gain. I had my period after thanksgiving so I assumed the 2lbs was from that or the thanksgiving day off-plan foods, however it has not gone back down to 125 in 4 weeks.

The past 2 weeks I've been extremely strict, tracking every single piece of food on MFP. My bf and I like to go to dinner at least one night on the weekends and I've skipped that for 2 weeks now trying to figure out the issue.

I've been practicing IF for 8 months on a 16:8 schedule and eat only 1200cal a day. I'm concerned that the scale has not changed in 4 weeks and especially these last two weeks of strict 1200cal a day with one full day of a 24hr fast. The deficit should have moved the scale at least a little bit.

The lack of progress is also starting to mentally drag me down now that is is hitting a 3rd weekend where I can't enjoy a dinner out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated especially if you're short with the same goal of 115.

Thanks for listening~

I am 5' with a current weight of 118 lbs. Although I'm not trying to lose (actually trying to gain...pack on the muscle) I just wanted to say that if you do happen to be working out or nearing your cycle, you may be holding more water weight than normal. I feel that for women, it's better to use a general measurement or fit gauge instead of the number on the scale because due to our hormones, that number fluctuates on a pretty regular basis. I used to look at the number ALL the time and at 99 lbs. that changed if I ate any more than 1,000 calories per day, if I drank a lot of water the day before, if I ran... it was disheartening. So I feel you there!
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed? I feel that stress makes my body "hold on" to weight sometimes. maybe you should take some time to unwind every day, sleep a little more if needed, or do what works for you...

best of luck!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When BMI is in the normal range, weight loss is very tough and fluctuations in water weight can easily obscure any progress you are making.

Gaining muscle is very hard to do-and nearly impossible in a deficit. That is unlikely to be the answer.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same issue. Its been 6 weeks. I hit around my goal weight and I think its because of hormones. I stopped stressing but kept a strict calorie count this week and its starting to budge a little. Be patient, don't fast for 24 hours cause that might lead to you binging. I just have been going through the motions but I try actively not to stress. I am 5ft and as soon as I reached 116 I haven't been able to drop below it until I started to dip below this week after a stressful period in my life. Stress causes a shift in our hormones and after when we relax it does take some time for them to readjust. Go out to eat this weekend, thats adding to the stress. Keep a positive attitude and I think it will start to shift eventually.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but 2 pounds is well within the range of normal body weight fluctuation. Stop stressing, go out to the dinner with your boyfriend, and see what happens. Stop looking at just the short term of weeks. BTW, with only two pounds to deal with you should not even be considering a weight loss rate of more than half a pound a week.

I agree! I consider even a -.3 a success for the week but nothing changing in 4 weeks has me really worried. :\

I'm also a little worried that the ease of losing weight through IF has finally caught up to me or that medically there is something going on. I see my primary on Monday which should help.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options
    Are you stressed? I feel that stress makes my body "hold on" to weight sometimes. maybe you should take some time to unwind every day, sleep a little more if needed, or do what works for you...

best of luck!

You could be right.. holiday stress added on to normal stress of dieting. I'll try to think of that and not panic so much. :)
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

I just wanted to say that if you do happen to be working out or nearing your cycle, you may be holding more water weight than normal.

My cycle ended last week and I was actually up to 130 during it but back down to 127 now. Do you hold water weight past your cycle's end? I gain before and during but once it's over mine is typically gone.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

best of luck!

Yes! Stress will cause water retention and sometimes even a bloated feeling in the abdominal area. Symptoms of stress may also cause slowed digestion and constipation which will contribute to an increased number on th scale, but not ncessarily any actual fat gain. Its simply water retention weight, undigested food weight, not to be a worry.

Watching and journaling might help. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to work for some people.
    Write about stressful times and your exact weight shifts accounting also for digestion speed and food types.

• Shaylyn1986
    Options

Life is too short for this nonsense.

I agree on that. :( I'm just trying to be disciplined. Normally if the scale doesn't move for 1-2 weeks I really don't think anything of it but it's gone on so long that it doesn't feel good or normal.

My initial goal was 125 but I'm working on my stretch goal of 115. I'm just shy of 5'2 so each lb really adds up.

• Shaylyn1986
    Options
    You have written a lot about your diet, what do you do for physical activity?

I have an IT job so I bought a cubii under-the-desk elliptical which I use throughout the entire workday ~6-7 hours Mon-Fri. It synches to fitbit which is awesome and it tracks calories but I take the accuracy with a grain of salt and don't eat them back.

Other than that I focus more on enjoyable types of activity like a zumba or yoga class but don't have a set regimented gym schedule.