Overweight son

Options
Trying to figure out how to get my 16 yrs old son who has gained a lot of weight in the past year to realize that he is overweight without giving him a "complex" and sending him to the other way of becoming anorexic or having a weight obsession if you know what I mean.

He weights 220lbs and is 5'10". He is very active, plays basketball, baseball and football so he's always on the move; however, i know he eats way more than what I give him (probably buys from the mini mart near school). I want him to learn how to eat in moderation/make healthy choices but from what I see, he doesn't think he's overweight. Because of it I don't think he is "ready to lose weight" but he needs to or it will be much harder in the future (not good for his health). I don't know what to do but feed him less, knowing that he will probably not tell me what he is eating outside of what i give him.

anyone has gone through the same issue?

Replies

• tmn2016
    tmn2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No....he needs to lift some weight! that would certainly help. He does have a very tight schedule between school work and practices, etc. He is also being tutored so that makes time very hard to find. It's not muscle but guts :( (hate to use that word). He is now much slower on the court due to his weight gain and I'm afraid he will be sitting the bench a lot this season if the doesn't lose weight. I've told him that but he still doesn't seem to "get it" that if he loses maybe 20lbs he will feel better and get faster....
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    It's tricky. I also have a 16 year old son who's getting a bit podgy. I actually don't know how much he weighs, but he doesn't look very overweight, just very 'soft'. He has a really sweet tooth, so like Quik I've spoken to him about nutrition and eating enough protein, and made sure there's always plenty of fruit in the bowl. He likes to make smoothies so I buy protein powder to add so it's not all sugar. We also make the effort to sit down to healthy meals with lots of veggies, so he does have a balanced diet. I also think he eats quite a lot of junk away from home - but yes, at 16 he has to make his own choices.

It's great that your son does sports - mine really does no exercise apart from walking and riding his bike. In grade 11 PE is not mandatory, and he's not at all sporty (he can thank his parents for those genes, unfortunately) so it's hard to make him take up exercise. It's very cold here at the moment (Canada), and he refuses to wear a jacket, so I figure he'll be using up his fat reserves like a hibernating polar bear while he's waiting at the bus stop!

It's hard to know when to say something - we're all so sensitive these days to our kids' feelings, but I have started to mention small things because I want him to be aware that what he eats has consequences, and overweight teenagers can have a hard time.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration...I have an obese stepson. He would say he wanted to lose weight but then would flat-out refuse to eat anything healthy saying he didn't like it. He is an extremely picky eater and would basically refuse anything unless it was deep-fried or covered in cheese. Also, he lives with his mom which doesn't help, as we can't control what he does. I would just try to lead by example. Or maybe you can say something to his coach and he will help? But yeah, unless he really wants to lose weight you can only do so much. If you restrict his food he'll just get resentful and find it elsewhere.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    220, 5'10", 16. That was me. Back then there were few fat guys. I was proud of being the biggest 'man' on campus. These days, he's lost in the crowd. At 15 I had played football as a freshman. I spend the season in an ankle cast from a hairline fracture. When the cast came off, off-season was getting underway. I was out of shape and could not keep up. I quit. The moment I decided to quit was at the end of the first off-season drill. We had to do something like sprint 40 yards, turn around, and sprint 40 yards back, repeating that 10 times. I proceeded from that to the coach's office and declared I would quit immediately. Coach, all 400 fat slob pounds of him, sternly advised that I stay active in sports or else I would balloon to 300 lb in no time. Thus began my first crash VLCD un-managed weight loss program, in which I ate only air-popped popcorn (without weighing it) and drank only diet Dr Pepper. I did lose weight rapidly, getting to 178 before school ended. My immune system was weakened and I caught pneumonia. After recovering from the pneumonia, I commenced to eating and gained back everything and more before school started for 10th grade. For both these years I was bicycling 6 miles each school day, so I did have a high calorie burn from exercise. Anyway, that's what I did.

Your son might be able to learn from me. Overweight and obese, he's more at risk of injury. He's out of shape, unattractive, uninteresting. He can lose weight, but he needs to do it sensibly with your guidance. Get him some good nutrition and exercise. Revoke his smart phone and sell his Xbox. If he wants to go somewhere, he can use a skateboard, bicycle, or roller skates. Or, walk. Run, even. Or, he could just be stubborn and plan on living another 40 obese years out of shape, unattractive, and uninteresting. I don't recommend that alternative.

You don't need to worry about him developing an eating disorder. Guys can, but are unlikely to.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    tmn2016 wrote: »
    No....he needs to lift some weight! that would certainly help. He does have a very tight schedule between school work and practices, etc. He is also being tutored so that makes time very hard to find. It's not muscle but guts :( (hate to use that word). He is now much slower on the court due to his weight gain and I'm afraid he will be sitting the bench a lot this season if the doesn't lose weight. I've told him that but he still doesn't seem to "get it" that if he loses maybe 20lbs he will feel better and get faster....

I'm a little surprised his coaches haven't said anything...in my day, they were pretty much all over you if you came in overweight.

That's what I was thinking. Especially with football. It was a requirement for us to be scheduled for a weight training class if we were playing football.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is your son is going to have to want to lose the weight. No amount of preaching will work, and coercion has but a limited effect. Maybe riding the bench will send a message he can't ignore and will want to correct.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As a former high school athlete, I am surprised his coaches aren't saying anything. I am also going to tread lightly here, but my family was just like this--I gained a little weight and was up to 157 and all I heard from my family was how I needed to be on a diet. So I rebelled. And I would grab snacks on my way home from school. As I got older and started gaining weight rapidly (because I still ate like I was playing 3 sports, 1 year round) the comments go worse, to the point that I am still nervous about visiting my family because (even though I have lost weight), I am concerned about the comments that will be made. So, I think the OP needs to tread lightly and not push her son on losing weight--it could impact him years down the road.

Also he's a teenager, and they have egos. Sitting on the bench is a big downer on the ego. At the same time weight loss and the desire to lose weight has to come from within--not from pressures from parents. And being a teenager he will more than likely continue to rebel the more he is pushed at it from mom and dad.
  • tmn2016
    tmn2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice. His doctor mentioned that he is obese and should lose weight (especially because of the hereditary issues in the family like diabetes). His coaches however don't say a word to him! They don't really care from what I see. I do have one young coach that I could talk to and see if he can talk to my son about "hey if you lose some weight you will get faster on the court", less injuries, etc.

You are right that the desire to lose weight needs to come from him. I guess the only thing that I can do as a parent is keep promoting the healthy eating at home and hopefully by sitting on the bench a few times he will get the message.....he is really slow now (slower than last winter when he played basketball) and I can't help but think it's because of the weight.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    tmn2016 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice. His doctor mentioned that he is obese and should lose weight (especially because of the hereditary issues in the family like diabetes). His coaches however don't say a word to him! They don't really care from what I see. I do have one young coach that I could talk to and see if he can talk to my son about "hey if you lose some weight you will get faster on the court", less injuries, etc.

You are right that the desire to lose weight needs to come from him. I guess the only thing that I can do as a parent is keep promoting the healthy eating at home and hopefully by sitting on the bench a few times he will get the message.....he is really slow now (slower than last winter when he played basketball) and I can't help but think it's because of the weight.

I know he has reached the age where hanging out with mom and dad isn't considered "cool", but there may be some kind of physical activity that all of you could do together, just to add a little more exercise into his life. Just a thought.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    One other thing. Does he date? They say there is no greater influence than the opposite sex. Maybe if he started dating, he would make the decision on his own so that he "looks" better to girls.