Why is it the more I run the slower I'm getting ?

13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited December 2016
    buckleten wrote: »
    It takes me 38 minutes to run 5k and I am PROUD of that, it is the furthest I can run, well so far! I doubt I will get that much faster, but it doesn't matter. I would likely come last in a 5k race, but I wouldn't enter anyway. There is nothing wrong with me, I am not recovering from injury or anything, but I am just slow. AND I wear running gear! :-)

Rest assured that at 38 minutes you'd most likely be nowhere even near last in most 5K races. You'd be equally nowhere even near first, but that's beside the point.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Dude...give yourself some rest. That's a lot of running in a short amount of time, and judging by your profile pic, you aren't built like a typical long distance runner. You have more the "sprinter" look to you. I would take a day or two more rest between your runs and see what happens.
  • BrittanyCLaccetti
    BrittanyCLaccetti Posts: 13 Member
    If you want a faster time you will need to rest more and do more interval training. A heart rate monitor is a great resource for maxing out your potential.

I don't know where you live either, but my time is always slower in the winter months because I have asthma and the colder the air is the harder it is to run.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    aashwill wrote: »
    I know the article is controversial, but you know people are doing something wrong when there are so many people all kitted out in running gear at the local 5k but most of them can't break 30 minutes. We should be critical of the focus on just putting in more miles when one could benefit from speed work.

And?

If they enjoy running, are being active, and enjoying the community who gives a crap?

• Amclean93
    Amclean93 Posts: 40 Member
    buckleten wrote: »
    It takes me 38 minutes to run 5k and I am PROUD of that, it is the furthest I can run, well so far! I doubt I will get that much faster, but it doesn't matter. I would likely come last in a 5k race, but I wouldn't enter anyway. There is nothing wrong with me, I am not recovering from injury or anything, but I am just slow. AND I wear running gear! :-)

I ran a 10k in a normal shirt once. Know what the prize was? Fire nipples. Keep wearing your running gear. :wink:

Hahahaha, so true. Same thing happened to my brother. I always wear a vest under my shirt. And the day of my marathon I didn't take any chances I had vaseline on almost every part of my body lol
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Amclean93 wrote: »
    I know the article is controversial, but you know people are doing something wrong when there are so many people all kitted out in running gear at the local 5k but most of them can't break 30 minutes. We should be critical of the focus on just putting in more miles when one could benefit from speed work.

This is for anyone who judges a person on how long it takes them to run.

Personally I think anyone who is going to judge someone on what time it takes them to run various distances is a complete joke figure, and utter moron. Nobody, absolutely NOBODY, has the right to criticise someone for turning up to a race in running gear and not getting this time or that time. You don't know anything about that person, they might be recovering from a serious illness or injury, or they might just be someone who is wanting to change or improve their lifestyle and have to start somewhere, or they might not even be a runner but someone who is fundraising for a charity ! No matter the case we should all be encouraging one anther to get out and run, jog or walk not insulting others.

I don't feel embarrassed that I can't run a 5k in under 24mins, when I first started I couldn't break 30mins. Because I am not solely a runner, I'm a rugby player, weightlifter and football player. Therefore if some runner was to laugh at my 5k time, I'd challenge them to play a high standard full-contact 80min game of rugby. Or to lift the same weight as me in the gym.

I want people to get running gear and run a distance that will challenge them or make them feel better about themselves. If it takes them an hour, who the hell cares !? Certainly not me, I'd be encouraging them. If someone is going to laugh at a person or mock them for not getting a time you think is good enough, without knowing the first thing about that person then you're an arrogant fool, and the world could do better without ya.

Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of runners are not judgmental. We are a very supportive and inclusive group. Of course there are always *kitten*, but you will rarely find them within the main community . They tend to stick with their own kind.

EVERYONE who puts their running shoes on and puts one foot in front of the other is a runner and is welcome.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    You probably need to eat more carbs
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

Personally I think anyone who is going to judge someone on what time it takes them to run various distances is a complete joke figure, and utter moron. Nobody, absolutely NOBODY, has the right to criticise someone for turning up to a race in running gear and not getting this time or that time. You don't know anything about that person, they might be recovering from a serious illness or injury, or they might just be someone who is wanting to change or improve their lifestyle and have to start somewhere, or they might not even be a runner but someone who is fundraising for a charity ! No matter the case we should all be encouraging one anther to get out and run, jog or walk not insulting others.

I don't feel embarrassed that I can't run a 5k in under 24mins, when I first started I couldn't break 30mins. Because I am not solely a runner, I'm a rugby player, weightlifter and football player. Therefore if some runner was to laugh at my 5k time, I'd challenge them to play a high standard full-contact 80min game of rugby. Or to lift the same weight as me in the gym.

I want people to get running gear and run a distance that will challenge them or make them feel better about themselves. If it takes them an hour, who the hell cares !? Certainly not me, I'd be encouraging them. If someone is going to laugh at a person or mock them for not getting a time you think is good enough, without knowing the first thing about that person then you're an arrogant fool, and the world could do better without ya.

Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of runners are not judgmental. We are a very supportive and inclusive group. Of course there are always *kitten*, but you will rarely find them within the main community . They tend to stick with their own kind.

EVERYONE who puts their running shoes on and puts one foot in front of the other is a runner and is welcome.

This has been my experience. I just PR'ed a 5K at 34:19. I almost always show up by myself, and people have been nothing but super nice and encouraging.

I accidently crashed a running club one day (found a trail run flier on Facebook) and I was the only one there not in the club. I finished 14 minutes after the next to last person, and every single one of them stayed and waited for me and cheered me on. The person who won could have ran it twice and still beat me- but not one of them was anything but kind and they gave me some fantastic advice about trail running.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    As far as the article goes, that applies to every single pursuit, hobby, or recreational activity. The runner decked out to the 9's, can't break 40 mins in a 5k, the camper with $5k of gear that can't put their tent together or start a fire. The Fly fisherman that stepped out of orvis with $500 waders & a $2K fishing rod that doesn't know what a trout looks like. The crossfitter with wraps, sleeves, chalk, olympic shoes, pre-workout, post workout, that can't do anymore than the bar. That's just human nature in all hobbies & interests.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    As far as the article goes, that applies to every single pursuit, hobby, or recreational activity. The runner decked out to the 9's, can't break 40 mins in a 5k, the camper with $5k of gear that can't put their tent together or start a fire. The Fly fisherman that stepped out of orvis with $500 waders & a $2K fishing rod that doesn't know what a trout looks like. The crossfitter with wraps, sleeves, chalk, olympic shoes, pre-workout, post workout, that can't do anymore than the bar. That's just human nature in all hobbies & interests.

I'm still confused what speed has to do with running. I guess there are people that just don't get it. That's OK.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Yep. And equally, every hobby/interest has its elitist snobs who have to find ways to make themselves feel superior to others.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member

You sound like a total sweetheart - don't ever change.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member

That's a lot of words without actually saying anything. What point are you actually making?
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Letsrun.com has a lot of good training info, but be cautious with the BS. I assure you that most of the guys posting anonymously there aren't nearly as fast, nor as good looking as they claim!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Maybe your legs are wearing away, getting shorter, and thus reducing your speed. I know what you're thinking: How logical :D
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    FatMoojor wrote: »

That's a lot of words without actually saying anything. What point are you actually making?

The point is that every pursuit has people that point out what they perceive to be lesser participants. It's not worth fussing over those people.