Counting Added Sugar

124»

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    OP's question was whether she could eat MORE than 26 g of sugar if a lot of it was intrinsic sugar. There was nothing to suggest that she had decided on her own that she only wanted to consume 26 g of total sugar. I honestly don't get where you got that.

(But yeah, I agree, that if she wanted to she obviously could. Can't imagine anyone would disagree.)

I read this

and I look at my sugar counts that are higher then I want them

Followed by:

"...but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars."

She seems to be concerned because they are going over the 26 g that is either from MFP or that she added from somewhere else (some old versions of the app have 26 g, I think, which is why I thought that was the source).

Important to know -- and relevant to her question -- is that the sources for the 26 g (or similar) recommendations are talking about ADDED sugar only, so the answer is that if that's why she's concerned about it she should subtract natural sugars or increase it to include the average amount of natural sugars she eats (which is what MFP is trying to do, badly, with the 15% number). Or she can ignore it and look at other things if her main reason is just to make sure she's eating a healthy balanced diet.

I don't see that she's saying she's made a decision to eat under 26 g of ALL sugars on her own (if so, why is she asking if she has to count natural sugars) or asking for advice on how to do that (she knows, cut back on foods with intrinsic sugars like fruit and veg, but why is that necessarily healthy, which is what she seems to be wondering about).

Anyway, obviously she can clarify if she's still around!

Ok got it now. I also don't know where she gets her number 26g. I was going by her statement that her count is higher than she wants.

Lol! word surfaces in her question was meant to be sources, so she was talking of suggested sources of 26g, not her goal at all, lol? Lol

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Excellent points thanks. The reason to make my own wouldn't be entirely for sugar, but to have better knowledge what's inside the sauce. Not sure how the tomatoes in jars stay fresh.:)

Canning has long been a means of preserving foods and often canned tomatoes taste far better in winter months than any "fresh" tomatoes since they are likely not in season (at least not where I live).

Was talking about glass jars of tomato sauce. Not sure how they get to stay good for long periods. :) agreed that "fresh" is a loose term if the farm isn't right there

Why would a vacuum sealed glass jar not stay good for long periods? I've never canned at home but Bell jars are kind of the standard and those are glass?

I have homemade pickles from just over 2 years ago. They are still good. Actually, they are awesome. Sweet with a spicy kick at the end. Just awesome.

I keep meaning to make pickles. Used to with a friend, but when he moved away I stopped bothering. Should start again.

Mainly responding to comment on your fabulous avi, though.

I love homemade pickles! I like to add them to my salmon or tuna sandwiches. So good.

Thank you (re: the avi)! I stole it, but I couldn't resist it made me laugh so hard. I am certain my cats would murder me in my sleep if I tried it though.
  • Cbestinme
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I got rid of sugar tracking in my MFP diary and replaced it with tracking fiber, once I realized I was going over the MFP default sugar goal every day, when the only added sugar in most days was a bit of concentrated fruit juice well down the list of ingredients in a single daily tablespoon of all-fruit spread. The rest of the sugar was inherent in low/non-fat dairy products that had no added sugars, and 2-3 daily servings of whole fruit. In that context, the sugar goal was just plain silly.

In general, I prefer to review my food diary periodically and gradually reduce non-nutrition-dense foods, replacing them with others I enjoy that I find at least equally delicious, and that are more nutritious. Once I have a totally solid nutritional base of protein/healthy fats/fruits'n'veggies, I'm fine with some non-nutrition-dense foods, within my calorie goal (most of the time, anyway).

IMO, the important goal is good daily nutrition, with avoiding certain things an almost-accidental side effect, rather than starting by restricting any particular food, category of food, or nutrient.

Excellent advice, thanks!! Agree wholeheartedly on good daily nutrition. :)

I agree with everything you advise :)

I still also think it could be helpful to know how to track the grams of sugar for those who have reason to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    OP's question was whether she could eat MORE than 26 g of sugar if a lot of it was intrinsic sugar. There was nothing to suggest that she had decided on her own that she only wanted to consume 26 g of total sugar. I honestly don't get where you got that.

(But yeah, I agree, that if she wanted to she obviously could. Can't imagine anyone would disagree.)

I read this

Followed by:

"...but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars."

She seems to be concerned because they are going over the 26 g that is either from MFP or that she added from somewhere else (some old versions of the app have 26 g, I think, which is why I thought that was the source).

Important to know -- and relevant to her question -- is that the sources for the 26 g (or similar) recommendations are talking about ADDED sugar only, so the answer is that if that's why she's concerned about it she should subtract natural sugars or increase it to include the average amount of natural sugars she eats (which is what MFP is trying to do, badly, with the 15% number). Or she can ignore it and look at other things if her main reason is just to make sure she's eating a healthy balanced diet.

I don't see that she's saying she's made a decision to eat under 26 g of ALL sugars on her own (if so, why is she asking if she has to count natural sugars) or asking for advice on how to do that (she knows, cut back on foods with intrinsic sugars like fruit and veg, but why is that necessarily healthy, which is what she seems to be wondering about).

Ok got it now. I also don't know where she gets her number 26g. I was going by her statement that her count is higher than she wants.

Lol! word surfaces in her question was meant to be sources, so she was talking of suggested sources of 26g, not her goal at all, lol? Lol

I think "surfaces" was intended to be "sugars" but autocorrect is evil sometimes.

(Random side note: back in the olden days I was writing a college paper on Moby-Dick and ran spell check and it suggested "Israel" for "Ishmael" and "Arab" for "Ahab," which would have been quite a different paper.)
  • nutmegoreo

I read this

Followed by:

I think "surfaces" was intended to be "sugars" but autocorrect is evil sometimes.

(Random side note: back in the olden days I was writing a college paper on Moby-Dick and ran spell check and it suggested "Israel" for "Ishmael" and "Arab" for "Ahab," which would have been quite a different paper.)

:laugh:

I can't even type in some of the autocorrects I've gotten, the worst is when it's a professional type scenario (like yours here), but you don't catch it before sending it. Embarrassing.
  • Cbestinme

I read this

Followed by:

Lol, again, I still misread wow, amazing how we can all see same something and see different things.

Yeah your paper might have been quite a paper!
  • Cbestinme

I read this

Followed by:

I can't even type in some of the autocorrects I've gotten, the worst is when it's a professional type scenario (like yours here), but you don't catch it before sending it. Embarrassing.

Agreed,
    Yes I get very embarrassing auto-suggestions or auto-correct. (Add on to my very many duh moments lol)
  • nutmegoreo

I read this

Followed by:

Agreed,
    Yes I get very embarrassing auto-suggestions or auto-correct. (Add on to my very many duh moments lol)

When it's a non-professional setting sometimes I will leave it in, but indicate that it was an autocorrect. It happens much more frequently with my cell phone. On my laptop, it's usually typos. My spelling and grammar are much better than my typing skills tend to suggest.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    But there's no need to do that.

Agreed. Close to 100lbs down without cutting out sugar.
    And, my Dietitian approves of not cutting out foods. ;)
    Clearly everyone else on this specific thread can eat sugar in moderation and it works well and you are all within normal weight range...
    I'm not. I've lost a lot of weigh and still have around 40lbs to go to goal and moderate sugar. I am not a fan of labeling foods as good or bad.. it's orthorexia waiting to happen.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I WISH THIS APP DIFERENTIATED BETWEEN ADDED SUGAR AND NATURAL SUGAR! I'm trying to count my carbs and sugars daily and I look at my sugar counts that are higher then I want them to be but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars.

Your body doesn't so why should the app

Glucose fructose and sucrose have the same biological effect no matter where they come from

I swapped my sugar tracking for fibre tracking cos it's a pointless track ..having the carb tracking is more than enough
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Aaaaannnnnnnddddd There's 4 pages of this thread I didn't notice

Carry on

Ignore me

I'm not reading another sugar thread, my brain will implode

Have a Snickers!