Help! I'm passing out after workouts!

Options
I've got a question and maybe someone's got an answer for it. After I finish an intense walk (or any kind of intense workout), I start getting tunnel vision, legs get wobbly, and nearly pass out. There are time that I do pass out for a few seconds. I do deep breathing to slow my heart rate and maybe I shouldn't do that, I don't know. But I'm scared to do any kind of work outs on my own since this happens every time. Before my workout I eat protein - which I thought would give me an energy kick before the workout. But I just can't figure out why I'm passing out? Does anyone have suggestions or advice to help me out?

Replies

• KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Are you working out too hard? Do you eat enough during the day to sustain your body through such hard work outs? These are all considerations, but best to ask your Dr. before you workout again!

Katie
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to see your doctor.... And I would do it before my next workout. Good luck.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough - not just right before your workout, but consistently every day. Make sure you are drinking a lot. Don't walk if it's really hot out and if it is drink before, during, and after. Consult a dr to check your circulation, BP etc.

(PS - common symptom of pregnancy....)
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Probably best to see a Dr. Could be low blood pressure, aneamia or a host of other things.
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should drink more water or your probably exercising 2 long
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this? Did he/she give you the OK to start working out? You should probably call your doctor or get in to see him just to make sure everything is on the safe side. In the meantime you should probably refrain from doing any kind of intense exercise. Take care.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    definitely see a doctor and eat carbs before a workout and protein after. carbs (complex or a piece of fruit) will give you the energy and protein after will help your muscles to recover
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have passed out after running because I had not eaten enough or drank enough water. It's hard balancing the weight loss with needing enough fuel to keep your body going. Make sure to drink plenty of water and at least a snack before you work out. Maybe a few more carbs before working out? The heat of the summer also makes you need a lot more water so drink drink drink... and take some with you if you're walking outside!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would go see the doctor ASAP! I don't think anyone on an online message board can really give you adequate advice with such a scary situation!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Make sure your drinking at least 64 oz of water a day. at least 16 oz while workingout. Also are you eating enough and are you eating enough of the good healthy Clean foods?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough - not just right before your workout, but consistently every day. Make sure you are drinking a lot. Don't walk if it's really hot out and if it is drink before, during, and after. Consult a dr to check your circulation, BP etc.

(PS - common symptom of pregnancy....)

^ This!! Scary! Please call your Doctor!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    could be a number of things - lack of water, lack of calories and CARBS (which are energy), or it could be medical. Medical being high or low blood pressure or blood sugar levels. Try having some carbs prior to your work out, but if it continues get into your doc.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    I too suggest talking to a doctor. My sis in law is a trainer and races all the time. She says carbs before protien after.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    question : when you exercise, how is your breathing? are you breathing heavily or not very well? if you pant, get short of breath, or can't breathe when you get to the end of a workout, that could be a BIG part of your problem.

when you exercise, if you aren't breathing then you aren't burning calories. instead, you are burning blood sugar, which will cause you to feel weak and have dizzy spells. please do check with you doctor to make sure you are ok, but also keep this in mind :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a doctor as soon as possible. Just to be safe. That sounds really scary. My gym has people of all ages, both men and women, and people of all shapes and sizes. I've never seen anyone have that reaction (even after an intense Zumba class). Get everything checked out just to be sure!
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well after workouts.

You mentioned that you eat some protein before the workout, but what is your overall calorie intake like?

Only speaking from experience in that when I go workout and don't have enough calories in the system to support it, I also feel like I am going to pass out. In those situations, my body just doesn't have the fuel that it needs to function.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Protein does NOT give you energy. Protein is what your muscles use to rebuild themselves. Carbs give you energy.

That being said, yes, you need to see a doctor. It's not normal to always pass out after intense physical activity.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is NOT a good sign.

It could be any number of things, some deadly serious (let's repeat that ... DEADLY SERIOUS), some as simple as depleting your sugar (still pretty dang serious).

Next time, you might not wake back up. I'd cease and desist and see your Doctor for a full workout. That should include heart, diabetes, kidney/liver functionality, and a host of other things.

This is very UN-HEALTHY!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Your description reminds me of episode's that I get, though not related to exercise. In my case it's my blood pressure bottoming out briefly.

Very definitely go talk to your doc about this, the sooner the better. It could be nothing to worry about as it is in my case, or it could be a symptom of something greater. This is not something to play about with.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I am not sure how new you are to working out or what your calorie intake is. If you are new to working out/exercise you need to scale it back and work at a pace that keeps your heart at 75% of your max. If you have cut a huge amount of calories out of your diet then you are most likely pushing yourself to far. Go get your blood pressure checked ASAP. When we exercise our blood pressure raises and if you already have high blood pressure then you may be pushing yourself too far. I am not a doctor or medical professional but suggest you go see one as blackouts are not normal. A runners rule of thumb is to never increase more than 10% per week of total mileage. I find this 10% to be useful in calorie consumption (reduction) and length of my runs. Be careful and good luck!