Being honest.. what approach should I take?

Options
13»

Replies

• isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    I was the same way with pasta and bread. Some days all three meals would be pasta. Though I now find it enjoyable to mix things up and I recommend that. I also suggest walking more and being more careful in counting calories. Try to get the correct brands in recipes if you cook, weigh your food and see if you need to adjust your serving size.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating too much to restrict to the point where hunger is a thing to deal with too often, so my advice based purely on that would be to up your activity a little. Go out for a walk, or find some youtube videos for stretching and gentle aerobic exercise you can do in a few square feet of your house and start there. I think what you'll find is the more ways to move that you explore, you'll find one that you want to do rather than feeling like you have to do it (sounds unlikely but it happens!).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    Taking the dog for short walks several times a day is a good idea for both of you. I have a big dog, so we take long walks, but he gets us out twice a day, rain or shine, and that is good for all of us. Would your husband or kids go on walks with you, or a friend? My husband and I enjoy the time together walking with our dog. It makes it easier to repeat the same routes all the time when you have company, though I also like just going with the dog because then we go faster.

I have issues with depression and for me walking and hiking has become a necessity to keeping my moods stable. Getting outdoors in the sun and especially getting into nature in the park or the state forest makes me happy. I started running a few years ago too, which really helps.

Some days I really don't want to go out and run (i.e .gray days) but I know from experience that I'll feel better if I do and I'll be mad at myself if I don't. So I get changed and go out the door and sure enough, after a mile or two I'm glad I did. If the weather is really bad, I'll go down in the basement and put on some music and do exercises or watch an exercise DVD or get on the TM. After an hour, I'm tired but happier.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It seems like you know what needs to be done, but I think it would be helpful for you to see a therapist so you can get to the point where you can start actually doing it. We can help you and give you advice but being in the right headspace is crucial.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hit my lowest weight of 174 six weeks ago. I'm 5'2 37 years old and started at 192.
    So I've lost 18 pounds since June so a long 6 months in.
    I'm sedentary. I spend a lot of my calories a day on bread products.
    Knowing what little I've told..
    what approach and changes would you start making?..

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I am a recovering bread/pasta/rice/sweets addict. I know the struggle is real... So I have a few suggestions that have worked for me.

1- 1320 calories might be to little. When your body thinks it is in starvation mode it starts holding on. You might want to increase a little bit... I consume 1,600.00 per day and I have been losing about 3-4 pounds per month.

2- Increase your consumption of look lettuce, spinach, zucchini / squash and other green veggies. They are very filling. Also, drink one tall glass of water 20-30 minutes before every meal. It makes a HUGE difference!

3- Reduce your consumption of bread (I didn't say stop).. I know this is hard but it is the only way that you will see the scale go down. You quit sodas cold Turkey, now is time to start eating less bread... Eventually you will be able to just have JUST one slice, fill the need/craving without overdoing it.

4- You can watch tv and walk/march in place... If you watch a movie, that could add two hours of cardio workout to your routine.

You can do this @lori__lynn !!!

lol, so much wrong advice all in one post! OP, dont listen to this - all you need is a calorie deficit and others said, start small with the exercise - but do something if/when you can.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! You give great advice.
    I do use a electric food scale and I'm pretty consistent on my logging.

I do need to get moving it would help with the lose and the depression. I'm going to check on some dvds or YouTube things. Thanks for that advice..
    Someone mentions thyroid issues, I've had it checked twice. But my mom had to have it checked so many times before they detected a problem because the numbers finally dipped once.
    I will make sure to mention this at my next appt.

Funny but not to funny story..
    I have a 2 yr old lil min pin dog. Who sleeps with me watches tv with me and even has to go into the bathroom with me..
    If I leave her she freaks so I always say she's suffers from the same thing I do..
    She's over weight because she eats and we sit on the couch watching our favorite shows together..
    I think we should start coming out of the dark house and go on walks together! We could both use the exercise.. I may have to drag her but we will do this !!

So many people suffer from depression these days...including some of my household members and occasionally myself, though I don't take/need medication. My daughters do. I find taking my dogs for a walk, while listening to music helps. Just getting out of the house helps. I think cutting out some of your carbs will help, not all but try to stay within your count. I'm now eating broccoli and cauliflower..LOL never really cared for them but add a 10 oz glass of water to that and I'm full. You will do it but you have to get out of the house. Maybe your not quite ready for the gym, you have to get out first and make that enjoyable. Good luck on your journey.
  • Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'd be curious what you protein intake is at in grams, on average?

I'm always right at the given or slightly below..
    There have been a few days I was no where close and my husband would have me try his protein shakes..

Hi again =)

I'm still curious what your protein intake is at, in grams.

The goal each day is 66 grams..
    I just went back two months reviewing and that's one thing I'm always short on.. would that make a difference ?
    I'm over on carbs almost daily it looks like
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious what you protein intake is at in grams, on average?

I'm always right at the given or slightly below..
    There have been a few days I was no where close and my husband would have me try his protein shakes..

Hi again =)

I'm still curious what your protein intake is at, in grams.

The goal each day is 66 grams..
    I just went back two months reviewing and that's one thing I'm always short on.. would that make a difference ?
    I'm over on carbs almost daily it looks like
    Upping yor protein intake would most likely help, not because of the protein per se (you will be minimally helped just by protein shakes), but because a protein poor, carbohydrate rich "SAD" diet will tend to be nutritionally poor overall. A vegetarian diet is normally quite low in protein, but a good vegetarian diet, incorporating great abundance and variety of vegetables, grains, seeds and pulses, can still provide the necessary nutrition.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. These things have worked for me, but may not apply to anyone else.

Exercise. Sometimes I have to force my cranky self to do it.

Light. Sunlight or a light box has really helped.

Eating less simple carbs. For me, the longer I go with out sugar or simple carbs, the better I feel and the less I want them. I still go off my preferred program, but I feel better when I don't have cake or bread or too much pasta. When I exercise more, it seems like I tolerate simple carbs better.
  • RemarkablyUnremarkable
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I can so relate to everything you said but I have Dachshunds LOL! First of all congrats on your weight loss! That proves that you absolutely have what it takes to lose! Great job! I have Yo-Yo dieted since I started having children, I would lose well then gain it back etc. I have tried many fad diets etc. You know though what just plain works is logging and being accountable and moving my butt :) I work from home as well and most of the kids are teens so I too am not chasing them around etc.to get activity. And depression, I haven't ever had it that I know of but the loss of my Mom last February sent me into a downward spiral and I gained over 30 pounds in a hurry just laying around being disconnected from the world. I'm so sorry you are having trouble with depression, having experienced it now I know how much it really hurts.

So what approach should you take? The one that works for you.... Small changes that you can conquer and feel good about! Don't get wrapped up in how many grams of this or that you need in a day. Find what satisfies you so that you don't end up binging. Logging every single bite that goes in for a period of time will give you a great insight into where your calories are going! For instance let's say normally you'd go for a bowl of frosted flakes. That's what 300 some odd calories? Probably wouldn't keep you full very long... But two eggs 140 calories, some yogurt with a sprinkle of granola or even frosted flakes lol... could be the same calories but much more filing! When I started I literally added a bit of chocolate sprinkles to mine as a treat.... Yeah I know not healthy LOL! But that started me off in the direction of eating less. I don't eat any processed sugar now :)

Now about moving? You mention depression... will you actually get up and go to a gym? If so then great! If not what about another baby step? Exercise bike or treadmill while you watch TV? I started on my bike, no resistance just pedaling along easy while watching TV. Not much of a workout but it got me moving again in the right direction. First just maybe 15 minutes a day. The key for me wasn't that I did some strenuous workout that made me not able to move the next day but that I NAILED my workout. Don't set yourself up for failure by trying to go all or nothing all at once. If you can only do 5 minutes, that's ok be proud of that! You did it!!! And keep at that 5 until you can add another minute or a level up in resistance. You can build each week! It's doesn't have to be an all or nothing race. It took me a while but now I am doing some interval training on my bike for about an hour and working on running! <3

Sorry, I know I am rambling LOL I just could relate to so much of what you said... Moral of my long winded post. Do your very best, be accountable to yourself! Be proud of yourself. Each small change is one in the right direction. If you stumble, the next day is a clean slate. It might not feel like it now but inside you are STRONG! You are a Mom after all! That's pretty close to superhero in my book. You are bigger and smarter than a little bowl of food, I mean really think about that, a bow of food is making you feel defeated and controlling how you feel about yourself? Take back your power and show your body and mind who's boss! You got it girl! I know you can do it! <3 I'll see ya over in the success story section later! <3
  • jenniferdee1974
    jenniferdee1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I watch TV while on my exercise bike (: It's easier to talk myself into getting on it & it feels much easier when I'm into a show.
  • Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I can so relate to everything you said but I have Dachshunds LOL! First of all congrats on your weight loss! That proves that you absolutely have what it takes to lose! Great job! I have Yo-Yo dieted since I started having children, I would lose well then gain it back etc. I have tried many fad diets etc. You know though what just plain works is logging and being accountable and moving my butt :) I work from home as well and most of the kids are teens so I too am not chasing them around etc.to get activity. And depression, I haven't ever had it that I know of but the loss of my Mom last February sent me into a downward spiral and I gained over 30 pounds in a hurry just laying around being disconnected from the world. I'm so sorry you are having trouble with depression, having experienced it now I know how much it really hurts.

So what approach should you take? The one that works for you.... Small changes that you can conquer and feel good about! Don't get wrapped up in how many grams of this or that you need in a day. Find what satisfies you so that you don't end up binging. Logging every single bite that goes in for a period of time will give you a great insight into where your calories are going! For instance let's say normally you'd go for a bowl of frosted flakes. That's what 300 some odd calories? Probably wouldn't keep you full very long... But two eggs 140 calories, some yogurt with a sprinkle of granola or even frosted flakes lol... could be the same calories but much more filing! When I started I literally added a bit of chocolate sprinkles to mine as a treat.... Yeah I know not healthy LOL! But that started me off in the direction of eating less. I don't eat any processed sugar now :)

Now about moving? You mention depression... will you actually get up and go to a gym? If so then great! If not what about another baby step? Exercise bike or treadmill while you watch TV? I started on my bike, no resistance just pedaling along easy while watching TV. Not much of a workout but it got me moving again in the right direction. First just maybe 15 minutes a day. The key for me wasn't that I did some strenuous workout that made me not able to move the next day but that I NAILED my workout. Don't set yourself up for failure by trying to go all or nothing all at once. If you can only do 5 minutes, that's ok be proud of that! You did it!!! And keep at that 5 until you can add another minute or a level up in resistance. You can build each week! It's doesn't have to be an all or nothing race. It took me a while but now I am doing some interval training on my bike for about an hour and working on running! <3

Sorry, I know I am rambling LOL I just could relate to so much of what you said... Moral of my long winded post. Do your very best, be accountable to yourself! Be proud of yourself. Each small change is one in the right direction. If you stumble, the next day is a clean slate. It might not feel like it now but inside you are STRONG! You are a Mom after all! That's pretty close to superhero in my book. You are bigger and smarter than a little bowl of food, I mean really think about that, a bow of food is making you feel defeated and controlling how you feel about yourself? Take back your power and show your body and mind who's boss! You got it girl! I know you can do it! <3 I'll see ya over in the success story section later! <3

Thank you! Your words are awesome!
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression too. When I've been deep in a depressed episode, people often told me to exercise. To me at that moment, those people sound like clueless, heartless *kitten*.

But sometimes I scraped myself off the couch/floor and took a walk. And it made a world of difference.

Nowadays, I LOVE physical activity. I've been working out since this summer and I haven't had a real can't-function episode since then. I think my meds secretly don't work unless I exercise. Exercising keeps my mood so stable. Now, it barely takes effort for me to exercise. Today, I had an awful morning and the first thing that occurred to me was that I really wanted to take a walk because walks always make me feel better.

So now I'm the clueless, heartless *kitten*. Push through, it might seem impossible, but do everything you can to get up and move, even if you just walk to the mailbox and back. Keep doing a tiny bit every day and soon it won't feel awful. When you start doing it enough, you'll get the happy brain chemicals that will help with your depression. Good luck. I've been in a similar place and I'm rooting for you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I watch TV while on my exercise bike (: It's easier to talk myself into getting on it & it feels much easier when I'm into a show.

I watch TV while on the treadmill. Not so 'dreadmill' when I am watching Outlander.