Took my snowshoes for a walk - 1,900 calories (pics)

Options
Well, that isn't true. They're not my snowshoes. I sold my snowshoes. They've heavy and awkward and force you to walk with an unnatural gait; in a word, they're unpleasant.

I made plans to hike with a friend. Once I got in his car, he and his wife told me we're snowshoeing instead, and they brought an extra pair for me. Great.

Somebody crashed in front of us on the freeway, then we crashed, too. We spun out in the traffic lane on I-90, then we were spinning across the snowy median, and right when I expected the car to flip, it came to a rest gently. We were stuck, though, and sitting ducks until Highway Patrol came and pulled us out. First words out of his mouth: "Kinda embarrassing to be stuck in this car, don't you think?" Officer Friendly then stepped in front of a moving car with a flare and two cones, and closed a lane so we could get back on the highway.

31453343542_610404b04f_o_d.jpg

31562632416_920b90fb34_o_d.jpg

31453343512_2bfcb2eb31_o_d.jpg

Nobody was hurt, so we decided to stick to our plan.

Unfortunately the misadventure cost us an hour, and we had to turn around before we reached the lake we were after. But we had four and a half hours on the trail.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1479009204

31453343442_6cab402559_o_d.jpg

I'm in the rest of these.

31453343662_3cafb34537_o_d.jpg

31562632286_b94552ec08_o_d.jpg

31483960751_962012e405_o_d.jpg

31562632696_f7a6094948_o_d.jpg

31453343382_0a7d8504f7_o_d.jpg

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Beautiful.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    amazing pics! glad you weren't hurt in the accident!
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely stunning! Those trees are enormous - where was this?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glad you are safe and still got to have fun!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're all safe! My daughter wants a set of snow shoes. That much work eh? She won't last long lol.

Beautiful photos too.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Stunning!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nice! Love this area - haven't been out snowshoeing yet this year but I hope to get out soon! I have to go with friends who drive Subarus because I know my vehicle can't do snow!
  • dayanderson
    dayanderson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've inspired me to get mine out today! Minneapolis got snow this past weekend!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1. Too funny that you got stuck in that thing.
    2. The cops response is priceless
    3. Not sure friends who turn a walk into snowshoeing are that good of friends.... :)
    4. pictures are beautiful. Plan to do the same over Christmas (except I know that ahead of time)

BTW, Costco in Canada has snowshoes and poles for $85.

And why are you carrying the snowshoes in most of the pictures? Didn't someone explain they go on your feet?
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!!!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Beautiful photos, I'm very jealous, we have nowhere like this in the UK. Glad you and your friends were safe and could continue to have a good day!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stunning! Am envious of all that snow already! Snowshoeing is my favourite thing to do in the winter.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I'm glad you're all safe! My daughter wants a set of snow shoes. That much work eh? She won't last long lol.

Beautiful photos too.

Tell her to buy them from a place like REI or Backcountry.com because they'll give her a full refund if she doesn't like them or doesn't like snowshoeing. Also tell her to get the smallest ones her weight and snow conditions will allow, because the smaller they are the less they'll get in the way.
  • chemtrailz
    chemtrailz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thats great , dope pics
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Lol you're carrying your snowshoes?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Beautiful photos too.

Tell her to buy them from a place like REI or Backcountry.com because they'll give her a full refund if she doesn't like them or doesn't like snowshoeing. Also tell her to get the smallest ones her weight and snow conditions will allow, because the smaller they are the less they'll get in the way.

Will do, thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Officer Friendly, lol! That looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!